BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard the big weakies show up around march? can they be caught in the backwaters or just outfront. i use finess during the summer with pretty good luck should i stay with these in spring?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I start seeing the big weakfish in the seafood markets usually during the early weeks in March. :rolleyes:
I have never caught or heard of weakfish being caught around our area before mid-April on hook and line. Plan on early May for any serious action to happen.
Same kind of fishing, bloodworms seem to work well early when the water temps are still low.
Soft plastics will work also but must be fished slow. Look for the water temps to hit the mid 50's, seems 55-58 is when they decided to get aggresive.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
What FAR said,last year we caught our first weakfish on 4/14.I started begining of april due to cold winter last year.i always start off putting 1 rod out with bloodworm float,and bucktailin with another.as Far stated SLOW just crawling it across the bottom.i caught fish on bloodworms for 2 weeks,before i got one bucktailing last year,then it was on.Nothing like bucktailing or finess or plastics of choice for catching weakfish,well one thing catching them on a flyrod :D ;) ,hope this helps Vinny P.S it would really suprise me to see a weakfish before April this year,but we can allways hope ;)but i have seen fish caught in March ;) ;)

[ 02-19-2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Days are getting longer. Fish are getting ready to stage their spring movement.

Their movement is dictated by the amount of sunlight. It's the most accurate clock in nature. Weakies may show up in March but it's water temps that will turn them on to feed.

when you see the temps holding in the low 50's then you can get ready. If you know any back bay waters that warm faster than others then give them the first shot.

Remember that the food chain is solidly in place. Grass shrimp and minnows are at the table. Water warms and the feed will begin. :cool:

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
The fish are definitely around long before people start catching them on hook and line. Down in the Chesapeake, the netters are getting croaker in their nets in March and we start getting them on bloodworms in early April.

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
Found this from a post last year (April 10) on another site:

posted on 10-Apr-2003 7:34:26 AM

Just a little snip-it for those interested,

"One Woodland Beach angler stopped at Captain Bones Bait and Tackle over the weekend to show off the season's first hook-and-line weakfish. The early trout were caught on bloodworms meant for stripers"

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
It Seems that the Weakfish Run starts at different
times each year,and it depends on the Weather and
Water Temps as stated above....I've caught them
in early April and sometimes not until May....
Usually Early in the Season They Hold Deep
and I jig Zooms & Fin-S-Fish on the Bottom,
as conditions improve (warm up)I throw
MirrOlures at them and do very well into June...

·
Registered
556 Posts

Thought you guys might like a weakfish picture to warm up the winter. This 9lb'er was caught on a small surface popper. I was fishing in 3 to 4 ft of water in the marsh in an area where huge schools of peanut bunker were busting water. When I say huge schools Im talking acres of bait. I caught 5 weaks the smallest was 6lbs and the biggest is pictured. I also lost one I would estimate at 12-14lbs. Thanks for the info on the spring run. Catchem-up!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Very Nice LedgeFever,,

Thanks for the Picture......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts