BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the 1st is almost here, what does everyone plan on throwing in the back bays for March. What types of bait/artificials will you be using? I will be throwing some small bombers/yozuris around the high grass..working them slowly. Maybe some sandworms.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Plastic jerkbaits and small swimmers after dark. Kill some time clamming or throwing small firetail assassins during the day. In all honesty, it's mostly just an adventure in getting back into the game as most years I can usually find a few schoolies, but I don't usually even see legal sized fish until the last week in March down my way and I ain't chasing March fish on foot.

Find bait and you have a good shot, will be interesting to see if those resident fish are more spread out than usual to start the spring after this winter.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Being a bait fisherman myself, I have found success in the back during early spring with freshly shucked surf clams, the fresher the better if you can get them. If u can get 1/2 bushel the you could use your fresh that day and salt some for later use. Bloodworms would be my other option on a float rig, expensive ($12 or so dollars a dozen) but can be quite productive. This year, I plan to try some of the gulp bloodworm products. If the bass are there, and water temps stay right, they will probably eat any of these things I mentioned. Later in the spring, buck tails also have been quite productive with a twisty tail (white or charteus). Well anyway, good luck and have fun!:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ready to go.

I think I'll start with my old favorite yozuri crystal minnows and some gulp plastic blood worms with a float. I am curious what effect the mild winter had.

Good luck fellas.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Gulp worms - haven't used them more than a couple times, but not even a bite. :thumbsdown:

Fishbites? Perch and spot KILLER! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Sounds like the Fishbites have a realistic scent...animals know...like my dog who loves real whipped cream, but won't touch Cool Whip. Just bought some FB bloodworm and will be trying them out soon.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
We'll be throwing Sebile Magic Swimmers, MirrorLure's Catch 2000, and a few new things that I picked up this winter.

·
Registered
20,268 Posts
Meat.... in the spring, they like meat....

Clams for open water and bloods for flats...

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
I have never had a bite or caught a fish on gulp blood worms and have used them at 5 or 6 times in summer and fall:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Something plastic... :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.