BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey Capt. Scott, to answer your question about why I think it will be repealed. Because of the boating public pressure it will receive from 1000's of people who see this as nothing but a money making scheme by the state. Get on Pa's boating web and you will see where they grandfathered any one who has been boating before a certain date. Theirs only apply to people who are boating in recent years. It will go the way of the 15% boat luxury tax and the 1987 priveledge use stamp. N.J. will honor the Pa online 15.00 boating course by the way. Take it online with the pretest and it gives you the ones you got wrong to correct before you take it for real. I actually think it is a good thing, especially for some of the nitwits I see operating a boat today. So don't think for one minute I am against it, it does have some merit for the right people. But it would have been proper to notify all registered boaters and offer an explanation and all pertinet information. If I was not on the BB I would not have ever heard about it. It is really for the good as boat traffic is really bad especially on week ends. But I have to also believe that being they could not do as Fla. did, and get a salt water fishing liscence passed, this was their alternative for getting more revenue for the state.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
EW - no money for the state (yet)

Doubtful it will be repealed - it was pushed by a few families who lost loved ones and organizations like MADD (boating division) or safety ones like BOAT US. Nothing like an angry mom or manipulative organization to get politicians to do something. Also...NJ is severely resisting OKing on-line courses...they know how worthless they are for making people actually look at the material.

I did think you were at least against it based on your numerous "ain't gonna take it lying down" posts...but I can understand the feeling knowing 8 hours of classroom doesn't make up for 30 years of experience. I agree...most people leave my class just as confused before they walk in...it's no me...it's trying to condense 800 hours of material into 8. Can't be done.

As I say at the beginning of all my courses including my captains licensing courses..."you will learn a lot...but this class will teach you more of what you DON'T KNOW...so continued study after the course is just as important."

Good luck..I'd just take the NJ course and be done with it...just ask around and get a teacher that makes it informative and fun...

·
Registered
257 Posts
At least I'm glad you understand that I am for it in a way. Trust me what I see every time I go out is enough to make me believe it can be instrumental in saving lives and restoring common courtesy. Most of these go fast boats don,t have a clue about rules of the road and what side of a bouy to pass on. I came in last year behind a boat tied to sea tow and just laid back behind the boat in tow. To my disbelief from the 2 mile bridge to the entrance of Sunset Bay about 6 boats passed me, the boat in tow, and Sea Tow.
So again it does serve a purpose for the courtesy impaired fools out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts