BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what bullet head weight do you use and in what depth.. I mostly use 1/16 basicly all the time unless the waters deeper than 6ft then ill go to 1/8(i never fish deeper usally). just looking for some oppions.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It depends on the cover Im trying to get through/depths. If its a heavier weedy bottom I usually go with 1/4 or 3/8. If its light or no cover 1/16 or 1/8. And if Im punching through mats or slop its anywhere from 3/4 to 1 1/4oz depending on just how thick the cover is. In open water when your not around cover it all depends on the fall rate that your looking for. If you want your bait to have a slower fall go with the lighter weights, if you want it to get down to the bottom quicker, use something heavier.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
For pretty much all applications I use 1/8th. Pretty standard in my opinion when it comes to bullet weights.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I concur with BM on his theory. I always have two baitcasters rigged w/ creature baits. 1 rod is 1/16 unpegged & the other is 3/16 or 1/4 pegged. Unpegged lets the bait linger in the water column longer allowing the Bass more time to get the bait if they are not as aggressive. Like BM mentioned sometimes the fish want the bait fall fast & sometimes slower. I remember fishing a tournament in the delaware river back in 07 & I was throwing a tube on 1/8 oz weight. I kept catching dinks but I knew the fish were there because I found them in practice. I switched to a 1/16 weight & immediately was on my way to a limit. If you are shallow (less than 6ft) keep two rods if you can, 1 w/ a 1/16 weight & the other w/ either a 1/8 or a 1/4oz weight. Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
as I am a land bassed angler I usually only have one rod, but from boat fishing expirience I know most of the depths I am fishin, I use a 1/16 or 1/8 95% of the time

amesl, You must be the guy my buddy LILfishermen told me about, he works at the wawa on 38, those jigs you gave him are nasty can't wait to steal one from him and give it a try

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
as I am a land bassed angler I usually only have one rod, but from boat fishing expirience I know most of the depths I am fishin, I use a 1/16 or 1/8 95% of the time

amesl, You must be the guy my buddy LILfishermen told me about, he works at the wawa on 38, those jigs you gave him are nasty can't wait to steal one from him and give it a try

LOL, yes sir and I m glad you love the jigs. There are more where they came from. Let me know what you need my man :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I like a 1/16 oz bullet as a general weight it works well with most applications but sometimes I size down to a 1/32 oz they are excellent for smaller baits and make the bait sink at the perfect speed. I use 1/8 oz sometimes when i need to poke through thick algae mats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.