BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as some of you know my normal crew is my son and parents. my son is full time college and full time work so his fishing time is very limited. my dads health will only continue to slide as his accident many years ago is aging his body terribly and dimethia is setting in.i have been fishing with him for 35 years now from a small kid on my uncles boats to our first boat back in 1980.
thought long and hard this winter about selling the boat. talked to mom and dad about it and they want to try to go flounder fishing at least this season if possible.
i got an email someone wanted to look at the boat on tuesday i think.
from that point i have had an upset stomach.eat then run to the bathroom.
on sunday in the snow they came and took a look. after they left,i sat in the boat,in the snow showers for a short time thinking back about fishing from the time i was a child until that moment..
i decided then i am not ready to sell her. as long as mom and dad can continue to walk the pier and get into the boat we will fish.
my dad took me fishing as long as he could,so its now my turn to return the favor.
from that point my stomach issues seemed to disappear.
i have a few friends i can continue to fish with aboard there boats if i sell mine,but thought of leaving mom and dad home while they still can enjoy the time on the water will bother the heck out of me.
so for at least one more flounder season the crew of the never r nuff will be drifting the bay for the flat ones.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Good Choice Chris! I hope you guys land some doormats this year :)

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Good move Phish......every time you step on that boat the memories will continue to come flooding back....kida hard to let something like that go.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
You wont regret that decision...hope you have a great season...

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I think you made the right choice:thumbsup:

ps: hooker I think you should sell your boat that way maybe I could catch some keeper flounder:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Right choice

Recently lost my Father in-law, even after We knew he would not be able to fish, we still talked about it as if it would be. Whatever kept our spirits up.
My favorite uncle took me fishing as a child. I would never sleep the night before from excitement. When he aged, I was able to return the blessing.
I think that's why sometimes I see boats sitting in yards not being used. I wonder why they were not sold before they rotted away. I too may be one that holds on to at least one of my boats till the end...who knows.
Fine choice Brother, Right choice...IMHO:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Chris good luck and hope you enjoy yourself with a great crew. Shorter trips may help them out.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
absolutely keep it-even if just take them for a ride. Cant get that feeling back once its gone.

There is an older couple who had a restored 17 Montauk 2 slips from me. They took it out during the week for a baot ride in the Harbor. Didnt see them this past year but son took them out I believe. parents use to fish now just enjoy the ride.

I hope when I am that age someone younger will take me out-I wouldn't care if I fished or not. My kids dont enjoy fishing so cant count on them. My nephew loves it so I hope he will take his father(fin advisor) and me out.

Instead of shotgunning beers we will be ripcording Ensure:eek::eek:

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Good move Chris.:thumbsup: But I'm willing to bet that your stomach problem wasn't just about your parents and the boat, but you and the boat, too. Admit it or not, fishing is part of you.

Do it as much as you can, and then a little more. The time on the boat with them will be gone before you know it.

Don't sell the boat, though because your Grandkids will want to go.:D And so will you.;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
My father and grandfather got me into fishing. Lost my dad when I was young. My grandfather kept his boat going and had us fishing as much as he could each year. Great memories. Lost him a number of years ago. I would give anything for one more season with either of them. You made the right choice!!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
It's always hard to part with something you love. And knowing the memories that came with what you lose won't happen again. You did the right thing. Fish on my friend for at least one more season.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Chris,

Glad to hear you are keeping the boat! It was very hard to sell mine and I miss not having a boat. I hope for the best with your parents and I know your son will make some time to fish with his dad.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the kind words. i let them know he boat is not being sold and they were happy. the only thing they were not happy about was when i handed them each a new oar as gas prices will be to high this summer:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
thought this was fitting. I FISH THEREFORE I AM!!!LIFE should not be a JOURNEY to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well perserved body,but rather to skid in sideways-fishing rod in one hand-fresh caught tuna sandwich in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO, what a ride "tight lines to all"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts