BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
buddy has one. that boat is a fishing machine. t225 yam, range is just that 225nm. get you to the spencer and back with 30/40gals to spare from OC,NJ. I am sure he will post and ans any questions you have. good boat

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
second what marcus hook said... i have a 29 with f225. Very pleasantly surprised. yes she holds 225 gallons but with the 4 strokes engines my range is Lindy-baltimore out of OC. no problem on day trips or overnighter. I have the generator with it and that will use minimal gas. Typical cruise is26-28knts. She handles a beam sea VERY WELL! but is not great in a head sea. Have to bow it down. Fishing wise she trolls great, drifts especially well. the cabin is more than sufficient for overnight or even a week at a dock! The additions we put on were spotting tower, and autopilot.... made a huge difference. We have put this boat to every test imaginable....and it continues to impress! email me if you have other questions.... will relaunch in early march and if you want a ride drop me an email. brad

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a 2007 Wellcraft 290 with twin Yamaha 250's. I run out of beach haven inlet all the time. Very stable. It does only have a 225 gallon tank. It does everything I want it to do. Fuel has not been an issue yet. Last year was my first year with it only ventured out 35 miles offshore. Plan to be back in mid March.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I run mine everywhere. All over the DE Bay, and from the back to the canyons. I run it in just about any weather and sea that anyone else would run in. I like it. We stay dry, and she doesnt pound (unless I run her hard, and I tend to do that). I have no complaints about the ride. I modified the cockpit a little. I cut all the live well and bait station crap out to give more room. I dont like the fish box set up, they tend to fill with water from washing the deck which makes keeping ice a problem. Still trying to figure out something to fix that problem. But all in all, I like my boat. I would like to move in to a big CC soon, so if you could buy mine:D. She's set up for fishing:thumbsup:

You should get 300 miles with the 4 strokes. I get that with my etecs

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yes fish boxes leak and fill with rain water etc... i took out the rear seat and keep my 192 igloo there.. that holds the ice,beer etc. Taking out the livewell is an interesting idea as i rarely use it! i do use the top of it for bait board so maybe instead of taking it out, modify it for tackle drawers.... interesting thought. Yes she does pound if you push her too hard...but have made it back from the Claw in steady 6-8+.....well we actually trolled home but didnt pound once!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I have a 23 W/A wellcraft. hard top. yes my fish boxes leaked also. I fixed em by getting Rubber molding that goes around the underside lip. Glued it on and it seals em up pretty good. No rain water or deck wash in them now. You basically have to get a better seal than fiberglas on fiberglass.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I am constantly changing the foam stick on gasket crap. I need to try some rubber stuff. I was almost going to just glass them in and redo the floor. Do away with them all together

I also did away with th rear seat. Cooler fits there real nice. Also installed 2 8d batteries for the house and lights in the gen box since I don't have a generator.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
added transom mounted 5 rod holder just above ladder...bolted them in and they work great for flat line rods... also, added dedicated battery for electronics and disconnected the stupid bording light that you always hit with your leg! All and all a very good mass production boat.!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys THX for all the replies. We typically do 6-8 canyon runs each summer so the range is a big concern.

Gumdoc I appreciate the offer. I've been on a Pursuit 3070 for 6 yrs now, not sure if I'll be happy with the ride of a 29 ftr. I'll touch base in a few months.

EC

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i think the ride will probably similar... size and weight will be about the same... and the beam is the same. as statd by me and others, canyon running is no issue with this boat... we do as many offshore trips as possible... including white marlin open... probably 10-15 per year. Mark and John, please feel free to chime in!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great boat - I was skeptical about a mass produced boat but this one has proven to be top of the line - we do everything in it and feel safe - I read a post a long time ago that has stuck with me - the post said that fishing out of the northest most winds will be SW and that 9 out of 10 trips you will have some sort of beam sea rather than a head sea - 1 out of 10 will be a dead head and there is nothingyou can do about that - I had a deep V boat and I won't buy one again - it ran great in head sea but swirled on following sea and caught in beam sea - and it rocked when drifting - on of the post above said he was going with a center console and I think you are nuts - east coast demands an express - my neighbor has a center and they are always cold, always wet - the sea in the NE are too rough - I talked to charter boat chaptains who prefer a flatter bottom boat like Jersey Devil because of the drift, and how smooth it rides in a beam sea - they say less people get sea sick on their boat - 290 coastal exceed my expectations and i would buy one again - if we move up I would like to get the 36 jersey devil - and yes 1 in 10 sea it will stink but 9 out of 10 it will be smooth, fast and safe - John

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
as Brad and John already said, we have been to hell and back on that boat. offshore, over night, wreck, troll, drift and thankfully it has gotten us home safely every time. we joke when he finally sells,that it was hardly fished. in truth, it is the timex of boats. takes a lickin and keeps on tickin

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a 290 Wellcraft Coastal Tournament Edition listed. The boat is a 2000 with T/250 Evinrude E-Tech motors 2006 315 hours. If interested call. I will be happy to show the boat. www.yachtworld.com/unitedyacht click the New Jersey boats for sale to view pictures.
609 884-0262

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.