BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a good friend recently return from west africa telling me about the giant yellowfin he recently saw returning to port on panga's which sparked my interest a lil bit.I've always heard about the incredible bigeye fishery over there and giant yellowfin further down the coast but now with my friend doing business over there with access to boats it seems this could be a reality to go fish for these giants! I was just wondering how many fishermen would make the trip over there! i am seriously considering taking a bit of an exploratory trip with him iend of march beginning of April to see what its all about! I've been fortunate enough to fish pretty much every continent except for Africa and this is at the top of my to do list! Just wondering if there is anyone out there adventurous as me and would consider going over there to catch massive yellowfins and Bigeye's.You only live once might as well make it good!

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
I had a good friend recently return from west africa telling me about the giant yellowfin he recently saw returning to port on panga's which sparked my interest a lil bit.I've always heard about the incredible bigeye fishery over there and giant yellowfin further down the coast but now with my friend doing business over there with access to boats it seems this could be a reality to go fish for these giants! I was just wondering how many fishermen would make the trip over there! i am seriously considering taking a bit of an exploratory trip with him iend of march beginning of April to see what its all about! I've been fortunate enough to fish pretty much every continent except for Africa and this is at the top of my to do list! Just wondering if there is anyone out there adventurous as me and would consider going over there to catch massive yellowfins and Bigeye's.You only live once might as well make it good!
My old mate has a boat over there they charter. Ballooga charters. He said the yellowfin bite is insane at times with all 100+ fish. He has a house there and hunts alot. IN fact he just came back to do line work for a few onths then back.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
West Africa Tuna

Friend of mine was a LL, fished that area a lot. According to him plenty of bigeyes reside in that region as well . Never been, but he always said some of the best LL anywhere for tuna .

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are the same fish we catch in NJ. I had a tagged fish (caught off NJ in late 80s) recaptured after 2+ years at large off the West Coast of Africa by a PURSE SEINER:thumbsdown:
I understand they are the same fish but i will not be on a purse seiner i will be on a panga type boat with a couple 50 wides and my tuna spinning gear ! I just wonder why they catch all those 200-350# yellowfins over there and we get the 40-80# i mean you hear of a 200+ every now and then but not nearly in the numbers they get!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I understand and did not think you were going to commercial fish. I also wondered the same thing about why the hogs never make it here in numbers. There were years in the mid-late 80s where the night chunkers consistently caught 150lb fish (I saw too many floating whole in the bay) after a few too many were brought back to the dock.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts

good luck! look forward to your report.

they other night i was wondering why there is not an established charter business on the west coast of africa, especially with such great hunting close by. one that could rival the central and south american fishing lodges, seems like there would be a substantial market for such a thing.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good luck! look forward to your report.

they other night i was wondering why there is not an established charter business on the west coast of africa, especially with such great hunting close by. one that could rival the central and south american fishing lodges, seems like there would be a substantial market for such a thing.
I would tend to think the lack of money and difficulty to get there along with rather spartan accomodations on why it is hard to have a charter set up there oh and ebola yeah ebola comes to mind when i think of africa along with marburg and neither of which have a really good end result! I know there was an operation in Ghana that a well respected capt was running not sure if they are still going or not! but africa from what i understand is pretty wild i guess we will find out.not to mention the country i am going to just had a civil war less than 5 yrs ago.But the chance of catching 300# yellowfins and bigeye's is too good to resist.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Want to catch 200+ yellowfin??? Go west my friend!! Go to Sandiego and take one of the 10 day cruises (Polaris or Shogun ect) down to Mexico! Its a trip you will never forget and a little safer. I am sure Africa will challenge you in many ways.

I just love the west coast fishing experience, learned several new tricks and came back a huge fan of seeker rods, avet and accurate reels well before they became a house hold name in the East. Going to Mako fish there this year as well.
As for east coast, I Have to give kudos to Capt John from the Hooked Up. Been out Tuna fishing with him a couple times and I have gotten my moneys worth as well as had a great time!:)

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Want to catch 200+ yellowfin??? Go west my friend!! Go to Sandiego and take one of the 10 day cruises (Polaris or Shogun ect) down to Mexico! Its a trip you will never forget and a little safer. I am sure Africa will challenge you in many ways.

I just love the west coast fishing experience, learned several new tricks and came back a huge fan of seeker rods, avet and accurate reels well before they became a house hold name in the East. Going to Mako fish there this year as well.
As for east coast, I Have to give kudos to Capt John from the Hooked Up. Been out Tuna fishing with him a couple times and I have gotten my moneys worth as well as had a great time!:)
I worked as a deckhand on the Royal polaris for awhile back in the late 90's into 2000 and i've fished PV quite a few times and ran boats down in Panama so i've fished the west coast quite a bit although most all of it was work this trip is going to be a fun trip where i get to fish in addition its a place i want to visit and besides i like challenges! 300# bigeye or yellowfin in a 3rd world war torn country sounds like a challenge and adventure to me!

Here's a couple yft catches from my RP days to get the juices flowing!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
West Africa Tuna

Was your friend from Barnegat Light?
Not sure, I knew him mainly when we were in the tackle business together. I know for fact he ran boats out of Gloucester a lot, he was featured in Sebastian Junger's book the perfect storm which he rode out in a 87' LL boat. He also introduced me to circle hook sportfishing, the tackle world to Yo Zuri, Momoi, & Seaguar. He started me using Fluoro in the mid eighties for GT Tuna, we sold those products together for 12 yrs.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been there done that I see! Go to Africa and spread the word my friend!! good luck and God speed!
Im begiining to think with this trip im going to need a little luck but that is all part of the adventure! I hope the reward is alot bigger than the risk,if not im sure i will have some good stories.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.