BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew started West Point this fall and loves fishing. As a freshman, he is not often allowed to leave campus on the weekend, but he can travel within a reasonable distance of campus. I think the restrictions get to be less as he is there longer.

I'd like to get him out on the Hudson for some stripers in the early spring if possible. I have a 16' freshwater boat with a 75hp, so I can't handle too big water. I have no experience on the Hudson.

Anyone who'd like to help a young WP student and his older (much) uncle with some tips on the area would be greatly appreciated. We've been striper fishing in a number of other areas and have all the plugs and gear.
Decent ramps and general areas would be great.

If you don't want to share with the world, please PM.

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
me to

Live up here w/ mike (CT) too . Fish the spring run up the river while putting True Grit though her paces before the move down to launching out AHMM for the season, Fish the river about 4 x a week from the North Dock of the point up North past Whites Marina in Marlboro with great success. Pm me too. Also do some sub contract work at Point during Football. Fyi the water at the north dock of WP is the deepest water of the entire river. PS Mike if you ike your welcome to hop on anytime I launch out of the Hood

·
Registered
82 Posts
hooks40,

This might help increase your learning curve, if your are going to fish the river your self or hirer a guide. A 16 alum boat should have no problem handling the Hudson River north of West Point.

You need to have a few more posts before you can PM folks. If you want to post your email on this site it should be secure.

Certified Marine in Connelly, NY is on the Roundout River off 9W .
Sharon Jones is one off the Owners and the phone number is 845 339 3060. The address is 166 First St, Connelly, NY

They sponsor a Striped Bass Seminar annually that is focused on techniques and the rules for fishing for striped bass during the spring spawning run.

This year it will be held at the Town of Esopus Community Room in March. The admission is $20.00 a head and the proceeds go to local events for kids. There are several professional Guides with 6 pack boats that work out of that marina for the Spring Striped bass run. Some come from as far away as NC. The Marina also has a boat launch. And there are several public, no fee Boat Launches in the area as well.

I'd recommend you call Sharon Jones and googgle Certified Marine Services in Connelly NY. You could learn a lot at the Seminar and It might make a nice Sunday Liberty for your nephew. The Seminar starts at noon. So if you come up in the morning, you can check out the area and get oriented.

You can check out the area, boat launches, etc. and then come back in May and have agood shot at hooking up a big one. I've lived on the Hudson most of my life and if you need my phone number just ask for it on line and I'll PM you. The current NY State Record is a 55 pound Striped bass caught on a trolled plug. In the same area of that catch the previous NY State Inland Striped Bass record was caught from shore with a chunk of herring.

The first year at West Point is a real Grind. Wish your nephew luck from and old Marine Line Company Platoon Sgt. the next time you talk to him.

·
Registered
333 Posts
sent you an email Hooks and Damon, thanks for the invite I will be sure to hit you up as the season comes near. Cant wait to get out there for some lunkers, till then see you around "the hood"

·
Registered
333 Posts
hooks40,

This might help increase your learning curve, if your are going to fish the river your self or hirer a guide. A 16 alum boat should have no problem handling the Hudson River north of West Point.

You need to have a few more posts before you can PM folks. If you want to post your email on this site it should be secure.

Certified Marine in Connelly, NY is on the Roundout River off 9W .
Sharon Jones is one off the Owners and the phone number is 845 339 3060. The address is 166 First St, Connelly, NY

They sponsor a Striped Bass Seminar annually that is focused on techniques and the rules for fishing for striped bass during the spring spawning run.

This year it will be held at the Town of Esopus Community Room in March. The admission is $20.00 a head and the proceeds go to local events for kids. There are several professional Guides with 6 pack boats that work out of that marina for the Spring Striped bass run. Some come from as far away as NC. The Marina also has a boat launch. And there are several public, no fee Boat Launches in the area as well.

I'd recommend you call Sharon Jones and googgle Certified Marine Services in Connelly NY. You could learn a lot at the Seminar and It might make a nice Sunday Liberty for your nephew. The Seminar starts at noon. So if you come up in the morning, you can check out the area and get oriented.

You can check out the area, boat launches, etc. and then come back in May and have agood shot at hooking up a big one. I've lived on the Hudson most of my life and if you need my phone number just ask for it on line and I'll PM you. The current NY State Record is a 55 pound Striped bass caught on a trolled plug. In the same area of that catch the previous NY State Inland Striped Bass record was caught from shore with a chunk of herring.

The first year at West Point is a real Grind. Wish your nephew luck from and old Marine Line Company Platoon Sgt. the next time you talk to him.

Great community over there :thumbsup::thumbsup:, thats a little far north of west point though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I'm too new to PM, so feel free to reach me at [email protected].

My main objectives are a safe place to launch with access to fishable waters in my 16ft aluminum. Then next would be techniques. I am partial to plugs, but would love to learn the bait approaches.

We appreciate your help!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Newburgh Area

My nephew started West Point this fall and loves fishing. As a freshman, he is not often allowed to leave campus on the weekend, but he can travel within a reasonable distance of campus. I think the restrictions get to be less as he is there longer.

I'd like to get him out on the Hudson for some stripers in the early spring if possible. I have a 16' freshwater boat with a 75hp, so I can't handle too big water. I have no experience on the Hudson.

Anyone who'd like to help a young WP student and his older (much) uncle with some tips on the area would be greatly appreciated. We've been striper fishing in a number of other areas and have all the plugs and gear.
Decent ramps and general areas would be great.

If you don't want to share with the world, please PM.

Thanks!
I fished out of a marina in Newburgh quite a few times in the spring .A ramp is there used to be free I dont know if it still is. I met John and his son Eric at Lake Ontario. He showed us how to troll for striped Bass in the Hudson using downriggers, we used white bombers and redfins,We also drifted blood worms just like you would fish for fluke.I spose night walkers would work also.Some pretty country up that way good views from the water take a camera. Even though it is far from the sea it is still tidal and flows in both directions.Your boat is fine for up there.I used a 18 ft. alum. center with a 70 .hp. yam .Mid to late May was when we had success. Good Luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can anyone recommend a boat launch near Croton Pt? I would prefer the East side so I don't have to cross the river in my small boat. Any action up there yet?

·
Registered
187 Posts
East Shore. Just north of Sing Sing Prison.
From Route 9 go west on Main Street to the railroad bridge. The ramp is opposite the western edge of the bridge. The ramp is smooth concrete with the ability to launch one boat at a time. There is a 73-foot floating dock. There is plenty of room for maneuvering cars with trailers. Parking is limited to about ten car/trailer combinations. However there is plenty of parking at the railroad station on the weekends to use. Overnight parking is prohibited. Launching vessels over 26 feet is prohibited. Hours of operation are flexible with operations starting on May 1st and ending September 30th. There are no services at this ramp.
This ramp is very difficult at low tide and some boats will have to wait for tidal changes. This can be inconvenient for a couple of hours during new and full moon tides. The town of Ossining advises against launching or recovering your boat at low tide.
Fees...
1) Resident daily fee $ 20.00
2) Resident season permit $ 75.00
3) Non-resident daily fee $ 35.00
4) Non-resident season permit $125.00

For more information call the Ossining Department of Recreation at: 914-941-3189.

Senasqua Park Launch RampCroton on the Hudson, N. Y.
East Shore
From Route 9 get off at the Senasqua Road exit and head south. Take a right across the railroad tracks and then a left to the park. Or...At the western end of Route 128, where it intersects with Route 9, take the black asphalt service road north alongside the railroad tracks and go through the tunnel. The ramp is found a few hundred yards at feet to the north. Watch out for the tunnel! It is only a single lane and has a height restriction of 6 feet 11 inches! If you’re taller than 6 feet 11 inches, take the first set of directions.
The ramp is a single wide concrete ramp with a sharp drop off at the water line. There is a floating dock system at this facility. The ramp becomes difficult at low tides, as does many ramps along the Hudson, particularly with larger boats. Over 22 feet may experience difficulty at low tide at this facility.
Parking is limited to about 15 car/trailer combinations. This can be a problem during the spring striper run. Overnight parking and jet skis are not permitted. Hours of operation are from 8 am to 8 pm from the last weekend in April thru October. Check the times if you go. Some tell us the park is open for trailers until 10 pm. There are restrooms at the park.
Fees...Only season permits are available. $95.00 for residents and $180.00 for non-residents.
For further information call the Croton Department of Parks and Recreation at: 914-271-3006 during regular business hours.

Nothing yet but schoolies

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.