1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
imagine duck diving in to that

·
Registered
127 Posts
The smell is awful. The police have it fenced off. They are afraid that while decomposing it could blow up and scatter body parts. I hope they hire Sea Tow to drag it back in the ocean.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
The smell is awful. The police have it fenced off. They are afraid that while decomposing it could blow up and scatter body parts. I hope they hire Sea Tow to drag it back in the ocean.

Anyone ever see that whale that bloated so much in asia somewhere it blew up on a street? YECH.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Lets hope it's towed out to sea. If not it's headed to Woodbine to waste very valuable landfill air space. :thumbsdown: As a bonus a stench trail for those along the highway.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Saw it floating directly off 5th street while checking the waves today. Waves weren't to good, so I watched it drift in until it beached at 8th street. Looked to be a right whale about 30 feet long.

At first thought it was a capsized boat adrift together with a liferaft, but as it got closer I realized it was a dead whale with its stomach bloated out of its mouth. Also looked like it had some small chunks taken out of it, don't know if it was from a ship that hit it or a "large predator" that had been feeding on it after death. Either way there was no way I'd be surfing near it regardless of how the waves were.. :eek:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont think it could blow up.... the cool water combined with the lack of sunshine/cooler air temps would basically preserve it in a sort of refrigerator like state.... will still rot away but i dont think the body can retain enough heat to blow.

·
Registered
822 Posts
There's been a load of whales feeding close in at Virginia Beach right in the shipping lanes.
These pics were taken on 1/19 by jetski Brian who does all his fishing on a souped up model. Goes offshore 25-30 miles with it. My son was fishing near him this same day and had an"epic" day on stripers.
friends of his were there today (23rd) and just took a boat ride. Never wet a line.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
That whale sure did draw a crowd...we offered to tow it offshore with the northstar but marine biologist wanted to study it. Neat but sad sight.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If you go to see it be careful, the rotten deacy odor is all over the sand and water. Everyone is throwing there shoes away from the stench. If seatow cant move it then ocpw is going to either bury it after cutting it up or moveing it in pieces to landfill. I'll have some good pics either way. Probably will be elected to be the cutter. OUCH real stinky job.:eek:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Heard on the radio this morning that they believe it is the same whale that was spotted floating in the shipping lane off NY.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thank god the wind is offshore today, my office is in between 7th and 8th, I was trying to figure out what stunk yesterday until a friend stopped in and told me about the whale, I went and checked it out and was suprised how big it was. Its closer to the beach this morning but its not going to be an easy task disposing of the carcass, I imagine whoever is in charge will have to tow it to sea, not sure and I dont thing they are either..

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
WEll the whale is pretty much all cut up and shipped off to its burial grounds. There is still a few pieces left for tomorrow. What a stanky job for sure.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
If seatow cant move it then ocpw is going to either bury it after cutting it up or moveing it in pieces to landfill. I'll have some good pics either way. Probably will be elected to be the cutter. OUCH real stinky job.:eek:
WEll the whale is pretty much all cut up and shipped off to its burial grounds. There is still a few pieces left for tomorrow. What a stanky job for sure.
So, were you the cutter???

Can I get a stomach contents update.....

RyanF

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Was it buried? If so why would'nt it just be cut up and towed out to sea? Just curious. Although to possibly answer my own question if it were towed out to sea I would imagine it would just drift back in with the tide.:huh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts