BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at at the 2002-03 Whaler Outrage, 29' actual 31' anyone own one or can make any comments?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just put down a deposit on a 2005 Outrage 320 - 32 ft. Center Console. I really like the layout of the boat...and I think you get a lot of boat for your money. Everything is a tradeoff - this boat fit my needs better that any other that I considered. Boat is being surveyed Monday.

Call Capt Joe at Summit for your insurance, he saved me $$$ compared to the quote I got from BoatUS.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whaler vs. Regulator, Contender etc.

Thanks for the come back,,still wondering how BW compares to Regulator, Contender, Jupiter etc. any comments out there would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own a 2002 outrage 290 and it is a great fishing platform. I used it almost every weekend for fall stripers out of hereford inlet and with the walk around set up it is ideal, fished until 1/09. I sort of have it for sale and could talk to you if you want more info.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Dr. John, I live in SIC, would love to talk to you about the boat, seiously considering buy one. Call me at 609-929-2207, thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
'02 Outrage 290

My buddy has one with 225 Merc Opti's. I have fished this boat extensively over the last 6 seasons. Very capable canyon boat. 300 gallons of fuel. We've run 70nm trolled for 8 hours and run back in and been okay everytimie as far as range is concerned. Great stability while drifting. Great layout and tons of fishing room. We have fought some decent size fish in the full belt/harness and you feel really safe with the tall bowrail. Loads of room to walkaround this boat. Lots of nice features and put together real well. The drawback is the ride. Because it's wide/stable with a modified V you tend to get your butt kicked in crappy weather. You will get home, but you will be happy to see your bed. I've never felt unsafe in the boat and we have been out in some awful weather. Day 2 of the '06 SJ Shark Tourney rings a bell. Coming in from 55nm at 315pm in definite 6-8' ers, with the occasional 10' mixed in. The boat's sheer bulk makes up for the hull shape in a lot of seas though. He is going to repower this coming winter. That tells you how he feels about the boat.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, fishlips,,thanks for the comments, is the boat a dry running boat or do you get wet in those 4-5 footers? Fuel burn, any ideas?

Looking at a 03 with 4 Strokes, any comments on those?

·
Registered
373 Posts
TT, The boat is no dryer/wetter than others. If it's windy, you're going to get wet. I'd say it's a fairly dry boat if I had to answer that. He gets about 1nm per gallon. With 4 strokes I wouldn't expect too much more than that. Maybe 1.1-1.2 nm/gallon. You'll have the range you need to get plenty far offshore. The Opti's are pretty fuel efficient. He will be repowering with Verado's most likely. check your email.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Beautiful boat....There was one with a yellow haul out of Margate, I forget the name of the boat but they were always headed out to the canyons.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, would like to hear from some Regulator and or Contender people?? Any out there?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Tommy,

I have recently (in last 6 months) have run both a 29' Reguialtor and a 31' Contender.

Both really nice boats. I can say the Regulator was certainly a dry boat to run, I went through Government cut on an outgoing tide with a South East Wind, and we never slowed down, nor got wet. The slop only lasted 3/4 mile before turned south.l

The Contender boat was run from Cape May to the Canyon for Overnight Tuna, we left the dock with winds blowing 15 to 20 from SSE and made it out there ( Wilmington Canyon) just fine, and felt the Contender, is a terrific fishing platform while offshore and was a great boat to operate too.

Good luck in your search, Identify the tradeoffs each of the boats your looking at has and what is important for you with each of these boats - Captn Joe

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Ok, I have owned several 27 and 31 contenders as well as a few 26 Regulators and have fished them hard inshore and off. For ride there is no comparasion, the Regs, Contenders, Yellowfins, Jupiters and Sea Vees and a handfull of others are the boats to own if ride is important. The Regulator will be drier than the Contenders, and will have a little better fit and finish. All will get wet in the right seas and wind, but the older contenders are a little bit wetter than some of the newer designs. I have not ridden in the new 31T,s and 33T's Contenders but I have heard their ride is even better and drier. That being siad if getting a little wet is your primary concern and you fish hard offshore than you better look for another stlyle boat.

As said the Whalers, Grady;s, Pursuits, etc, are built for the less hardcore crowd and as such will sacrifice ride for a little more stability and creature comforts, not the boat I would want to be in when the wind kicks up and I have a long ride home from 80 miles out. If you fish the canyons your time will come and you will thank the stars you have a deep vee under you to get you home.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well guys it all boils down to a trade off. I will be doing the following fishing 40% inshore, 30% 30-50 miles out, 30% Canyons, so maybe a 29' BW Outrage with a 10.7' beam very stable platform would be a better ticket for me? Comments?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I test drive allot of Whalers and Jupiter's for my local dealer in my town. They are both great boats top shelf company's no short cuts taken on the boats well built boats. But if i would have to choose which one i would get i would go for the Jupiter. Boston whaler pays allot of attention to detail on the boats more gadgets and mostly set up for the family man that does not fish allot of days but still likes to be able to have the option to fish either offshore or inshore. Jupiter is either you buy the boat strictly set up for fishing or with the family friendly package that allows you to still do some series fishing. Personally they are all great boats just comes down to what fits you best and what you are going to use it for.

If you have any further ?s on either boats feel free to ask. I would be glad to help.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fightingcouch, thanks for the comments. I agree with you on Jupiter since you must be a die hard offshore kinda guy. My situation is more inshore than offshore which means lots of family trips. So I am leaning towards the BW, espcially since there are some good deals out there right now on 02 & 03. Any deals on Jupiter around $75k let me know. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts