BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the spring I got my first shot at a striper on the flyrod because of the warm water. What about the early winter, or is this where REN and Sparse secretly catch fish all winter not letting us in on whats happening? ;)

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Ray, That place stinks. Dont believe the hype!

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
UH I think I remember hearing someone catch something there sometime, but I'm not sure.

Ray, When there is a discharge, & there is not always one. There does seem to be life in the area. Be careful with the turtles & you won't forget the first time it is turned on after you have been there for awhile. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but it used to be easy to fish by land. Rocks in your area still sound good. Ron

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am just looking for some hope. Talked to Dave about some possible trout fishing this winter. Never tried for trout with a fly rod. I am alway up for a new experience. Just thought maybe I was missing out on something good. Hope to see you guys at the fest.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Ray if you are gonna give trout a try Steelhead fishing in Pulaski (Salmon river) can be really good. And you don't have the fall crowds to deal with.

If cabin fever get's real bad a trip up to Pulaski will be my gameplan.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Tried to get up there last winter but it got too nasty too soon. Pulaski, NY is "only" a 7 hour ride from south jersey, not too bad if you're doing a weekend thing. I've never caught a confirmed steelhead (may have gotten one in NJ, not sure), but I'd love to. Getting fat 15lb rainbows on a 6wt with 4lb test tippet in rocky rapids will compete with saltwater any day! Winter coldwater fishing is fun because the crowds thin out and, on the warmer days, the fish are still biting like they do in the spring.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Guys, the Salmon River is awesome. I didn't fish with a flyrod but I did drift fresh salmon eggs with a spinning rod and had a blast. These fish are BIG and strong and plenty of fun on light gear.

One of my fishing partners fishes a flyrod exclusively and catches consistently. We also fish for huge brown trout near the power plant, using large spoons.

If you get the chance, go up there and check it out.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like there is life. Freshwater is all new with flyrod but it sounds exciting. Cold but exciting.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fly Ty R stopped by on saturday. We tied some flies and he showed me some of the freshwater trout flies. I think I will stick to tying saltwater flies that fresh water stuff is way too small. They might be good for catching minnows one at a time.

I will try some fresh water trout fishing this winter, but think I will be buying my flies rather than tying.

Looks like trout are the only show in town. I go down to the beach almost everyday to see if anyone is catching. There have been quite a few guys hitting the surf everyday, but I haven't seen or heard of a single fish being caught so that is as slow as it gets and it has been warm and calm.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Ray I launced Sat & took a ride. Very enjoyable but no sing of life. Did feel good to get on the water. Grandaughter came along. BTW Someone mentioned the power plant being out of service. Anyone know anything about this? Ron

[ 01-05-2004, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
BL England had some sort of oil leak or something a few weeks ago. Several hundred gallons leaked out into the bay. Good thing it happened this time of year instead of in the early spring! I think they closed the plant to fix the problem. It should be operational again soon.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sparse I am sure it felt good to get out. It was like a spring day. I took my boat to get a tune up and check the fuel pump. The place my buddy will be taking it, is Little Torch Key. There is another guy from Cape May that knows the area pretty good. We just got a C-map chip for my chart plotter so naviagation should be easy. I hope to get down for a few days in Feb. and stop in Palm Bay and fish and visit my brother. I did see a couple of posts on striper thread about Bauers Pond. I am sure I will have to check it out before spring to keep sanity.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Bauers Pond Proud sponser on the Bass Barn. Little torch is fairley close to us. When are you going? Ron

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ray, my brother and i nicknamed a spot on middle torch key (right next to little torch) "cuda cove". we went there looking for bones, but had nonstop action on pretty good size cudas. we started with shrimp, and then moved over to long chartreuse and orange flies. very long, sort of like needlefish. great spot, and a good hard bottom, which is somewhat unusual for the lower keys. this was on the gulf side.

on the atlantic side, bottom fishing is the name of the game. hawks channel is just offshore, and you never know what you'll catch there. that's where i got the 5 - 6 foot reef shark on a 9 wt. with a popper.

also, it will be a bit early, but try the bridges at night for tarpon. there are some year round resident tarpon that hang in the shadow lines.

lots of opportunity down there. that's the windy time of year, but you can still find plenty of places to fish on the lee side of the mangroves.

have fun.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My buddy is leaving the end of January and trailering my boat down so he can use it. He has rented a house for a month. I hope to get down to Fla. some time in February and will fish with him for a few days atleast. By that time he should know a few good spots. I have never been to the keys before and am looking forward to it. By that time of year I will be really ready to catch anything. Will also fish with my brother in Palm Bay, which is about half way down the state. He gets largemouth and snook behind his house and trout in the Indian River so I should be alright. He also has a neighbor who likes to fly fish so I should get some local knowledge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts