BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started saltwater fly fishing and am preparing for a week in Stone Harbor. Over the weekend I bought a few flies I thought would be good for striper, and wanted to run them by everyone here. This what I bought:

4.5in deceivers (purple, black and white)
2 black 4 inch velvet eels
2 brown and white 4 inch velvet eels.
brown and white crease flies (about 2 inches)
Red and white popper
Brown and white popper
Clousers (green)
something that literally looks like a mesh bunker (bad description, but I have no idea what it's called)

I want to be sure I'm fairly well stocked before I go on Friday so suggestions are appreciated. I will be fishing mostly at night and tried to get darker patterns, but went with lighter colors where limited selection dictated. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
you will be fine. I've had nights where green over white clousers outfished black.

At night I like to tie on 2 of the same fly - one black the other green or yellow and see what the fish want.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Sounds like a good start! Use the black deceivers and black velvet eels as searching patterns if you can't initially find fish. 4"-5" is a great starting size. If you find fish feeding on small bait, switch to the clousers. I haven't heard of any peanut bunker in the back, but you can always try a bunker pattern. You probably have a mylar braid type of bunker. The poppers are better left for the daylight time, but they can be used after dark as searching patterns. You'll most likely miss fish though, because stripers tend to slash at nighttime poppers with no accuracy. They are good for finding fish, though, then quickly switching to a deceiver or clouser. If you can find access to spot with a bridge light/shadow line cover where bass are popping, throw in the white or purple deceivers and let them drift into the shadow line. Some bridges are closed to fishing, now, so be wary.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Reckoning First of all, welcome to the barn & I hope you enjoy your stay. Sounds as though you have the flies covered. I want to tell you to know the area you are fishing in daylight,before going after dark. After dark is great, but you must have kind of a handle on what you are doing. Enjoy, be safe & I look forward to some great reports. Ron

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Reckoning, Like it has been said, you have a good start. You should be able to catch some fish with the assortment you mentioned. You have good high tides this week, so the odds are good that you can catch something. Best of luck and let us know how you make out. If you are having difficulties, there are enought experienced fly fisherman here on the barn to help you on your way to catching some nice ones.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
D'oh! How could I forget?? Wear some eye protection too! It's an important thing that we always forget to mention, probably because it's second nature to wear some sort of eye gear while fishing. A pair of clear safety glasses at night, or sunglasses during the day will save you a lot of pain and medical bills if you hit yourself with a hook going 80mph in the face after dark. You really don't want a pointy metal shard in your eye, do you?? Preventative medicine is the best cure. :D And who really cares what you look like after dark. The lights are out anyway...

[ 06-29-2004, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you should mention the eyewear. I've had my flyrod for several years, but never had the chance to get good. I do remember (vividly) hitting myself in the back with a clouser in broad daylight, and struggling to sling the fly more than 30 feet. At night I have adapted my casting to include what is probably a very funny "duck and pray" manueuver. I'm sure it is not a good way to do it, but as long as I can fish and get the fly out there it'll do.

I actually picked up some clear safety glasses when I got the flies because I'd like to see my children as they grow up. I have a slightly cooler pair of sunglasses for the daylight.

·
Registered
195 Posts
"something that literally looks like a mesh bunker"

The Reckoning,

Did you by any chance get that fly from Ramsey Outdoors in Ledgewood?

The reason I ask, I have one and it has weight to it. It is not the best fly to start casting with. Considering you are relatively new to Fly Fishing use smaller/more stream line flys, they won't be as much work to cast.

jmho

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually picked this fly up at French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville PA. The fly is obviously manufactured and not an in-house design. I'm fairly certain it will take a lot of daylight practice to get this thing out there.

The only weight on it is the hook itself. The mesh body fly is probably the mylar braid mentioned by Fly Ty R, and seems to be prone to catching wind. I think it'll take a really tight loop to get this out there.

I think I'll be starting with a popper (probably will cut the lip so it's a bit more streamlined) and then move to the decievers.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for the information in this thread, as well as the others. I'm heading to the shore tomorrow morning, and will try to get a report out sometime over the weekend. I've never caught anything but blues on a fly, so we'll see what happens!

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Hope you can catch them up. Everyone has put in their two cents. Now it is show time. Think positive and you will make it happen. Good Luck.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately my summer vacation at the shore was cut short by a sick child. But, I did get to fly fish one night (Monday) and I got my first striper on a fly. It pretty cool. I went out on the boat to hit the sodbanks at about 8:15pm, and by 8:40 I had him by the lip. I admit it was small (about 18-20 inches) but it was excited just the same. Used a yellow and red popper and caught him in about 2 feet of water. Had three other strikes in different locations but was unable to get a clean hook-up. Now I can't wait to go back!

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Watch Out! Catching them on a popper is extremely addictive. Great start, I am sure you will catch many more. The visual strike is what it is all about. Nice job.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Nice & thanks for sharing. Hope the child's sickness is not serious. Ron

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The lad is doing fine now, just an ear infection, but he didn't sleep (which meant we didn't sleep either) for 3 days. So, we packed it up.

As for the popper, it was too cool for words. The great part was my brother in law tossing every kind of popper with his spinning gear, and he never got a look from a fish. We spent the next day searching for a "fly-like" popper for him to use.

From now on, favorable winds will always result in flyfishing with a popper!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts