BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids are participating in a Fishing Derby this Saturday in York, PA. The PA BASS Federation Nation in having its 8th Annual Easter Seals Fishing Derby and they have opened it to any children. The derby is being held in a 'pond' that the BASS group has put $1000 worth of 2-3lb stripers that the kids will be attempting to catch. My question is: What bait should we be using to catch these 'stocked' stripers. The man said no spinners, crankbaits, etc to prevent injuries since there are so many kids...They are suggesting live bait. I figured on bring Nightcrawlers, they will provide dough balls.
The other fish in the pond include: large and smallmouth bass, carp, catfish, and panfish.
The main reason we are traveling to York is my 10 year old participates in the Casting Kids competitions and this is the closest. My boy has finished 2nd in the PA State Finals 2 years in a row and I need a place to qualify him for the states.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I believe that fish raised in hatcheries are fed pellets.

Berkeley makes a Powerbait in pellet form that is used for trout...I think they have it in liver flavor which should catch stripers.

I don't think either nightcrawlers or dough balls are going to work.

Give Hybrid Joe a call from Bauer's Pond....he has farm raised fish at his facility, he should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How should they fish this powerbait? bobber or bottom or what? and as ALWAYS! Thanks for your replies! This place is busting with good information.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Grass shrimp will work. If you can get a bunch try tossing in a handful. When they hit the water, its a lot like when they feed them the pellets. Chances are you'll have every fish in the pond at your feet in a few minutes. Put one or two shrimp on a small hook with little or no weight and your kids will be reeling fish in all day! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I would use shinners. They usualy catch me freshwater stripers in the little creeks around here. The smallies and largemouth will love them to!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts