BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site and have a Avet SX matched to a medium heave St Croix. I've been fishing mono the past two seasons and wanted to try Braid.

I know there have been posts, but I wanted to know what pound test and if I should go with backing and a top shot of mono? This setup is used for Bass, Blues and Fluke.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The Brand is totally up to you. I use Power Pro mostly, but also like Suffix. For the fishing you are talking about, 30 lb is probably plenty. But, I like to use a little heavier than needed. 50lb is only the diameter of 12 lb mono. I put 50 lb on just about everything, it helps with the abbrasion factor. Just remember to put somke mono on the reel for backing, otherwise the braid will spin around the spool. It doesn't matter what lb test you use for the backing. A lot of guy will tell you to match the lb rating, but if you put on 150 yards of braid you will never see the knot. I mono close to the same diameter for ease of knot tieing. Join them with uni to uni and you will never have aproblem. Just remember to Set your drag for the weakest element of your tackle, not the braid strength. Also never try to set the drag higher than the reel max drag. I believe those Avets let you crank the drag down pretty heavy.

Edit: I forgot the topshot question. You don't need it. You will most likely have a leader of mono, flouro, or nylon. Unless, you are wreck fishing, you might want to give a little topshot just so you don't get cut off by the wreck. If you do, a uni to uni is fine. Use a mono with sufficient lb test for the job you are doing. Again, if you topshot, set the drag for the weakest part of the tackle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigSexy, thanks. I was leaning towards 30lb, but didn't know what lb to go on the backing. I was thinking topshot as I hear the braid cuts you up pretty well.

Yeah, the Avet drag got me last year. Didn't have it set properly and lost like 3 or 4 fish, switch to my TLD 15 and caught the rest of the day. Got home and realized the drag was way off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For what its worth braid does not do as well as mono on the avets,Jerry Browns Line is your best bet if you must go to the braid. I use Ande #17 green mono with a topshot of about 25 ft of suffix 50lb. braid Cast great no backlashing. Braid will not roll up on the spool as well as mono. Good luck if you go braid.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Chevy-Fish said:
BigSexy, thanks. I was leaning towards 30lb, but didn't know what lb to go on the backing. I was thinking topshot as I hear the braid cuts you up pretty well.

Yeah, the Avet drag got me last year. Didn't have it set properly and lost like 3 or 4 fish, switch to my TLD 15 and caught the rest of the day. Got home and realized the drag was way off.
The braid can cut you. But just use your head. Don't grab it pull like you would with mono. If you have to break it off, just wrap a rag around your hand. I have been using it for year and have never been cut. Cut myself with mono all the time:confused: though thinking it won't hurt me. Just for an experiment, put 30 on your avet and 50 on your TLD15. see what lb you end up liking better.

Also with a topshot, you lose the benefit of the sensitivity of the braid. Then all you are getting is the capacity benefit. But with blues, bass and flounder you don't have to worry about these 200 yd runs wher the capacity is a problem. I never use top shots, ever. Longer leaders in wrecks sometimes. I just mentioned the topshot for the wrecks, because a lot of guys are gonna say you need it for the abbrasion resistance when in the wreck. I wouldn't steer ya wrong:D. If you are bottom fishing or chunkintg, NO topshot

·
Registered
149 Posts
I definately give my vote to Daiwa SAMURAI BRAID. I was always a power pro guy, but now I can't see going back. This stuff is so soft do to the 8 braid weave they use. I have 40 pound on an MXL. I know Tackle Direct carries it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Powerpro-

I'm also like Power pro- 30,40, 50 it all handles well. I use 15lb ande as backing. Frist time I tried it I had 65 on a heavy musky outfit and didn't catch the part about needing to use a mono backing. Lost what could have been the musky of a lifetime because when I struck the spool just spun and the metal didn't sink. He came up jumped with his mouth clamped, swam right at me and was gone- I can still feel the pain!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PowerPro it is

Thanks everyone, I'm going to go with 30lb and back it with 15lb or whatever the shop has.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have 2 avets and have the stren super braid. Ties easy no backlash and knots are easier than PP because it is round PP tends to be flat

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
I like the 50 -Tuffline a cheaper alternative

50 is easier to tie in the wind

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use stren,powerpro and sufix on a few of my reels. My avet sx I have spooled with 300yds of 30lb sufix with a little backing and flourocarbon on top. The reel is built for braid and using mono just doesnt take advantage of the great drag the reel can produce. It can hold 450yds of 12lb mono or 450yds of 50lb powerpro braid...PLENTY of line capacity there....300yds of 30 or 50lb braid is all you need, trust me.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
BigSexy said:
Just curious? what's wrong with Suffix, I was going to try some on more rods this year. The couple I had last year seem to be okay.
In the last 2 seasons I switched everything to sufix. I did keep 1 small spinner with PP red just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I switched from PP to Suffix also. I think it lays better, casts better, is softer and easier to tie. I used PP for years with no real complaint other then breakoffs which I think was more terminal tackle issue than PP.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I use braid on all my reels from conventionals to spinning. In the bay I use 20 lb pp for bucktailing fluke, 30 lb pp for fluking in the ocean. 50 lb pp for stripers, 50 lb pp for togging on the reefs.

On my spinning reels for stripers I used to use PP, but I switched to the Stren 50 lb braid. It seems I get a better cast with the Stren braid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts