BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to grab a 9ers tube umbrella at the NYC boat show tomorrow. What was the most productive color and size on tube rigs for you guys this year?

Seems like tube rigs popped up on a LOT of reports as being very productive (my black back shad umbrella from 9ers was by far my best lure for the fall when trolling).

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
In order of success, while trolling..........

- Home made umbrella rig made out of storm shads (that I copied from another Barner)
- Normal looking umbrella rig with green tubes
- Fluorescent yellow/pink Strech 25
- Normal looking umbrella rig with black tubes
- Green Stretch 25

There were other things that worked, but the 5 above produced on every trip.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Most productive Tube umbrella this fall?

Red approx 6" with either a matching center stinger or larger center 9" and even larger to target bigger bass (double hook 12"). 6 arm umbrellas worked as good as the 9er's for half the money and less drag/effort. Pulled several others but 90% of the fish were caught on red!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

In order of success, while trolling..........

- Home made umbrella rig made out of storm shads (that I copied from another Barner)
- Normal looking umbrella rig with green tubes
- Fluorescent yellow/pink Strech 25
- Normal looking umbrella rig with black tubes
- Green Stretch 25

There were other things that worked, but the 5 above produced on every trip.
Red and white stretch 25 was probably my number 2 producer on the troll, but the shad umbrella blew that away.

Red approx 6" with either a matching center stinger or larger center 9" and even larger to target bigger bass (double hook 12"). 6 arm umbrellas worked as good as the 9er's for half the money and less drag/effort. Pulled several others but 90% of the fish were caught on red!
Guys I have spoken to that "tube and worm" (single larger tube, not umbrella) up in MA have told me that red is their first go to color as well.

Hmmm...anyone else have a strong color opinion? Trying not to buy 3 rigs! Got other tackle I need waste money on. :)

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I should have put the red/white Stretch on my list as well. That color was probably a tie with the green. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Any

Cant really say one color did better than the other. We did well on white, green, and the black that we pulled. It was just a matter of finding the fish first, then it was game on. The key is to find a feeding school...

·
Registered
710 Posts
:thumbsup: red niner tube umbrella rigs in 6"

·
Registered
378 Posts
Can I troll an umbrella from a yak???

Would love to see a pic of one of these rigs. Pretty sure I know what you guys are talking about, but i always thought they were more for tuna. Can I troll one of these bad boys behind my yak (with the foot pedals)?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Anything is possible!

Would love to see a pic of one of these rigs. Pretty sure I know what you guys are talking about, but i always thought they were more for tuna. Can I troll one of these bad boys behind my yak (with the foot pedals)?
Trolling it is the easy part if you can keep it close to the bottom without dragging bottom. The umbrella rigs are kinda big and akward and prone to multiple fish hook ups which would probably be difficult in a yak. They get tangled and must be untangled before being set so that they fish effectively. Most boats troll to cover a larger area to dial in on the fish so that they can jig or snag and drop.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I went for the red for now.

The guy in the booth also said that he usually swaps out the stinger for a 9 inch shad. He said he was not sure why it increased hookups but it seemed to really improve the rig. Mentioned that it might be that it looks like a slightly bigger fish chasing a school. He said most of he photos that they have sent to them with big fish are set up with this bigger stinger. Of course you have the bigger baits, bigger fish factor but I also think he was getting at having more hookups, not just bigger ones.

Anyone ever try this or have thoughts on it?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I bought a few panther martin tube umbrella rigs in green & red this year and had good results. They rig the stinger as a bunker colored shad & most fish hit that.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks guys. I went for the red for now.

The guy in the booth also said that he usually swaps out the stinger for a 9 inch shad. He said he was not sure why it increased hookups but it seemed to really improve the rig. Mentioned that it might be that it looks like a slightly bigger fish chasing a school. He said most of he photos that they have sent to them with big fish are set up with this bigger stinger. Of course you have the bigger baits, bigger fish factor but I also think he was getting at having more hookups, not just bigger ones.

Anyone ever try this or have thoughts on it?
We almost always put a larger stinger on the center and back an extra ft'. We use 9" and 18" Banana tubes in matching colors. Big bait=Big fish!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.