BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed depthfinders this year from a lowrance LMS-350A to an Interphase Outlook. The tranducer is the size of a tennis ball. I am now getting a roostertail from the transducer. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I mounted it exactly as the instructions instructed me to.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Is this a transome mount xducer. If so it sounds like it's mounted too low. Most transome mounts have a slotted mounting bracket. Loosen the screws and raise it up.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
the outlook is a forward looking sonar. the bullet transducer needs to be low like you have it. There is a planer plate above the transducer that must be adjusted so it is level with the bottom edge and diverts the water flow downward.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies. Guess I'll have to live with the roostertail until the next time I pull the boat.

Hookin'up, it sounds like you know a little about the Outlook. I'm not real happy with the forward looking capabilities yet. I haven't used it in the ocean yet, only the back bays. It doesn't show channel banks, sod banks, etc. Do you have any opinions or insights on it?

Thanks again for the replies

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
the outlook probe and twinscope forward sonar work well in 10' or more of water. When under 20' set to manual mode. Set up leveling so your scope sees the bottom level and not slanted uphill or downhill. Set the pulse rate to fast and set the sensitivity so any side lobe from the bottom goes away in the forward look mode. it will appear as a false arc in front of the beam. Remember that you only see about 4x the depth in front of the transducer, so in 8' of water you only see about 30' or so. In deeper water you will see up to 6x the depth. With your splash plate not being adjusted properly I'd play with the unit at trolling speeds and adjust until you get the best results.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hookinup, Thanks for lesson on the Outlook! I tried some of the adjustments you suggested and have found a new appreciation for my sonar. I didn't realize just how sensative the scanning was. Now I am starting to use the forward scanning function more and more. Any other advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks again, TJ in SP

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The bottom lock/bottom scan features are excellent for targeting fish on or near the bottom. The zoom in these modes will let you pick the depth you want to zoom in on. The forward scan in split screen will show baitfish and fish approaching. Once you get comfortable with the unit, manual mode settings will alow you to tweak the unit to see even the smallest of baits.

The demo mode will show you how to use these features. Read the manual and practice using the features.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts