BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, about half an hour ago i saw a pinkish-reddish worm about 8" or so long swimming over a flat. was it a cinder worm? there was only this one. i thought that cinder worms were much smaller, and there were thousands of them at a time. any ideas?

also, the bay is loaded with peanuts. they are thick in all of the spots that i checked. nothing really bothering them except for the occasional tern that would dive bomb the schools.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Doyle, atleast you were out tonight. We had strong winds, looked nasty with thunder down here. We only had one little shower all day. I sure don't know what type worm it was. There are blood worms and sand worms around I am told, but I am not up on the worm end. Maybe someone with a bio background will have the answer. No action around the sodbanks where you are?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Doyle Doubt if it was a cinder. Hope someone with more knowledge will pitch in. Like your current sig. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
There are so many species of annelid marine worms out there (that are 8" long and red), who knows what you saw. May have been a blood worm, but I don't think they live down here. I thought they were native to Maine and north. It was more likely a clam worm.

Cinder worms (at least the reproductive parts we associate with cinder worm hatches) are about 2-3" long with deep red bodies and olive/black "heads", and swim erratically.

Also, this is just one more reason why you might want to use a worm fly on a regular basis. They are always around. :D

[ 07-28-2004, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dave, that looks like the thing that i saw last night. i was thinking blood worm at first, but i didn't think that they came from this area. anyway, the way this thing moved and caused little vibration waves to each side of it reminded my of the float that covered the death mobile in animal house; "EAT ME". i figures some pipe cleaner on a hook will be okay. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
try a cream or rusty bunny strip with a bit of palmered ginger hackle for the head using black thread to fisnish it off. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts