BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was kayaking with my wife south of the Parkway Bridge in Beselys Point. My wife yells "Shark". I look over and see two fins (or something that look like fins) about 8 inches out of the water side by side. Grey in color. In about 6-8 ft of water.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
striperaholic said:
Hook one and you will never forget the fight.
Side by side right?
Hooked one in my 'yak. Just a small one mind you, kicked my butt. You really value that ton of boat when you have it. Try reeling one in on a 'yak and you'll learn what it feels like to be trolled.

Thanks
and
GoNavy

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
what aimless said. cownose ray. Never seen as many as in Delaware bay right now.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sure looks like what we saw. I've read about them but never actually saw one. Makes me glad that it was not a shark.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
2 years ago there was a big shark scare in NJ about fins in the surf all over the place, and I bet 100% it was rays. People are too scare happy

·
Registered
44 Posts
definitely a ray I saw one two fridays ago by the 9th street bridge and thought it was a couple sharks eating a skate, "they" were thrashing around water spraying everwhere unbeleivable. then on that sunday early am I see the same thrashing 1/4 mile off and woke my sleepy buddy up and said there is the thrashing I saw friday he told me I was seeing things next thing you know 10 mins later it was like a foot from the boat thrashing like crazy and we cleary saw it was a ray. That thing was trucking creating a pretty good wake it was way cool.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I hope your right although the a.c press had a shark storey in the paper today. bull sharks no less - they aint friendly

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Three weeks ago I caught a 4.5 gray shark off the beach in Longport. The sharks that were seen 2 years ago... were sharks! I saw two while surfing, one less than 10 feet from me. Not only that, the TV news helicopters caught footage from above. I was talking a woman who has fished Brigantine's north end regularly for over 40 years. She warned me not to go into the ocean past knee high at dusk and dark because big sharks, including bulls, spawn back behind Brigantine. According to an old Navy diver I know, bulls come from all over the coast to spawn in the Delaware River. They are there, that’s what is keeping me from fishing from a yak at night:eek:

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
There are a few bull sharks around right now. The arcticle in the press featured my sister, who has seen them 3 timesd now. She estimated the ones she saw from 6-8'. Mostly behind A.C., near the old Ruffu ford.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
On Wed. I flew up the beach pretty low from Cape May to Corson's and saw hundreds of cow nosed rays just behind the surf:eek: . Think they are spawning?

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
It Is So Hard To Believe All The Bull Shark Stories I Have Heard This Year.there Is No Record For A Bull Shark In The Mid-atlantic States.they Are A Southern Shark,why Would They Breed In The Delaware Bay.I KNOW THERE ARE SAND TIGERS IN THE BACK BAYS,I CAUGHT ONE THAT WAS 5'6" BEHIND WEST WILDWOOD IN 61.THERE ARE DUSKIES AND AN OCCASIONAL BROWN.IS A BULL POSSIBLE YES BUT I'D BET ON A WHITE FIRST.WE KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM IN NJ WATERS AND MANY SMALL ONES HAVE BEEN CAUGHT IN THE MOUTH OF THE BAY.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The Del Bay is one of the largest breeding grounds in the WORLD for sharks, true fact.

The other week I seen them rays in the Del Bay, they were stretched from Fortescue, where we launched all the way to 25, they were everywhere frolicking among themselves, there were so many I was trying not to run them over in the boat, its funny when you get close to them, they almost freeze and just slolwly glide downward out of sight. There were also logs and debris from trees everywhere, it was like an obstacle course that day.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
If I'm not mistaken it was a bull shark that was responsible for some shark attacks back in 1929 or something, when there were 5 or 6 in one week (a world record BTW), there was a special on the history channel called "Shark attacks of Beach Haven". The bull shark is one of the few sharks that goes into fresh water, they can go many miles into fresh water and have their babies, they are born hunters, they kill before they are even let out, they some how showed film of the larger baby sharks killing and eating the smaller ones right inside their mothers belly or whatever it is. The bull is one of the most agressive sharks out there, more likely to bite a human than most sharks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just got back from murrells inlet,sc. last week.While out fishing we saw a few pool table size rays launch themselves completely out of the water.One captain said it was a way of removing parasites.May be true,each ray had a couple remoras fly off.I've never heard a belly flop like that before.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts