BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, been meaning to buy a "real" ditch bag for some time. I'm a small boat never more than 10 miles from shore, so I want something reasonable; not the best, not the worst. Keep coming back to the ACR Rapid Ditch (19' x15" x7"), around $50 w/shipping on ebay.

I'd rather buy from a Barn sponsor if possible. What do you all use and/or recommend? Any sponsors out there sell this product or something different/better they recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Thats what we have. Its not very big but easy to stor, but it has the pocket for the EPIRB and we have first aid stuff, handheld GPS and VHF, flares, etc in it.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really looking for something all that big as my boat isn't all that big. PLB, handheld radio, airhorn/noise device, flares, some kind of reflector, seals good, and FLOATS well. That's about all I'm looking for. The ACR looks like it comes with gear to easily mount it as well, which is a plus for me.

·
Registered
14,629 Posts
That's what I have, hald my portable gps, VHF and epirb, flares, lightsticks. I will be adding a strobe, mirror, some water, power bars and if I can get some sea dye it will be in there.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Doubled Space Bag. Put a one or two flotation cushions in with your stuff and make sure you tie your epirb to the cushion. I would also encourage their use on the plane. It will save you $$$$.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not exactly sure what you mean by doubled space bag? Pic? Link?

Purty please?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
joey do you have a life raft?
No I don't. Been going back and forth on that for a while now. I don't have the room for one. If I ever needed it though, and live, I'd say "I should've made room".

Trying to find the happy medium.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ah, thank you. I had a feeling that's what you meant.

It probably works just fine, and is certainly an economical way to go, but on this one, I'm going to go with something a bit more "official". ;)
Official meaning a cheap bag that has no waterproofing? Enlighten me how that ACR bag is better. Purdy Please.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
ACR is water resistant, which is CYA speak for waterproof. also, it is inherently buoyant TO A POINT. also much easier to work out of than a giant ziplock bag. either way, once you open that thing sitting in the water (or even most likely in a raft) if theres any kind of weather everything in its going to be soaked, so the waterproofing doesnt really matter all that much. my solution is to individually ziplock/vacuum pack anything that cant get wet (although, in the majority of cases, something that cant get wet isnt going to be much use to you in a maritime survival situation anyway) and to buy as much stuff that is individually waterproof as i can. the most important thing is to ensure that whatever you do put in the bag DOESNT EXCEED THE BUOYANCY or you will be in trouble. best way to figure that out is to weight the bag, then weigh the bag with all the stuff in it. more than 22 lbs i think and the bag is toast. good way to check is the old bathtub dunk (remove EPIRB first:eek:). adding a tether to the outside isnt a bad idea either.

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
I've got the big ACR bag and honestly, it is almost too big for what I have to put in it. But it is better to have the extra room and buoyancy capability as long as you resist the urge to overstuff it so it does not float.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I am not trying to be critical of anyone, when I ask this question, but what is the advantage of an ARC bag, or other high end ditch bag, vs a standard duffel bag or similar?

Currently my "ditch bag" is a PFD storage bag I bought for $20 at boaters world just before they went out of buisness. It stores 5 pfds inside, so it floats, and has several zippered pockets in which I keep my flair kit, first aid kit, hand held VHF, some rope, air horn, extra knife, and few other odds and ends. I do all of my fishing within site of land so I'm not too worried about things like EPIRBS yet.

I'm just not sure if I'm missing something in regards to what the higher priced ditch bags offer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.