BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been catching so many blues. What can you do with them? I gave some away to people I know that wanted some fish.

* Someone told me that they make good crab bait since they are oily. Can someone confirm this?

* Do they make good chum?

* Does anyone use them for bait?

* What other uses are there for them?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
good for crabbing. i was hoping to get into some the past two trips out but i could not catch anything but them darn flounder.go figure. boy they were good at dinner tonight though. bb

·
Registered
250 Posts
After a recent catch, I carved out the bellie and rib cage area for strip baits, while filleting with the mindset to leave that area intact. I got good fillets and great bait, which was the only thing I caught fish on the following day. That said, if you want crab bait, may I suggest using bunker and leaving the bluefish for anglers. I know they seem abundant in May 2005, but there were a couple down years and it never hurts to think about the future. Respectfully...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just for the record, I fish alot, I catch alot, and I release more than 99% of what I catch. That includes stripers. I don't even take time to measure most of them as I want to get them off the hook and back into the water quickly.

This past Sat I was fishing the jetty and quickly landed 20 blues. All but three were released(I had a friend ask for 3). I was just wondering what I could have done with those blues.

Now, If blues work as good as bunker for catching crabs...I'd go with the blues. I'd leave the bunker for the stripers. With all of the bunker reduction we may need them.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I have been giving them away with a new recipe that I got this spring. Beer battered fresh bluefish is very tasty. We had some for dinner tonight. I even cooked up some for my parents and delivered it. They kept telling me they would not eat it but there was none left after they were done. They have been thick lately. I got 50 Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Frayed,

I agree, If I were going to eat a blue fish it would have to be a fresh caught one. Not too fishy tasting when they are fresh and you cut out the brown parts.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Freeze them whole and use them for flounder baits...Thier the best bait out there,besides minnows.... ;) :D

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
KILL THEM...KILL THEM ALL!!!

obviously there seems to be an abundance of these toothy critters. While I agree that a species such as the bluefish is to be appreciated. I also understand that we need to start whackin them. They have been getting a free ride toooooooo long because we would rather eat striper. Blues were always tossed back on my boat but with this new situation we have a different attitude. TAKE 'EM HOME AND FORCE THEM DOWN. We feel that when you do that, some little fish that wants to grow to be big fish says "thank you"

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Years ago, every Jersey Shore diner had baked blue fish on the menu. Today's tastes are different. People prefer the lighter delicate fish like flounder and weakies. Same with turkey, white versus dark meat. I enjoy baked blue fish or putting blue fish filets in foil with a seasoned tomato sauce then cooking it on the barbeque. It's a welcomed change.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey Frayed, would love to get a copy of that Bluefish recipe (if it is not trademarked
).

John

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Frayed knot... I'll take that recipe.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Medium sized bluefish like we're catching now is very good broiled or bbq'd if cared for properly. Must be bled immediately and packed in ice. Eat fresh with the dark meat cut out prior to cooking. If cared for properly and eaten fresh, it is not the oily fishy meat that most people associate with bluefish.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by jjn3:
Hey Frayed, would love to get a copy of that Bluefish recipe (if it is not trademarked
).

John
1 cup of flour
2 tablespoons of oldbay seasoning
1 can of beer

Mix the flour and oldbay in a bowl first. Slowly add the beer into the mix and wisk it up. Take your fillets and dry them with paper towels. Then dip them into the batter. Let the excess batter drip off. Put the fillet in hot oil and cook them for 4 to 5 minutes on each side till they are crispy. Add some tarter sause and they are very tasty.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
They make great strip baits for fluke. I took a few and filleted them, then took about half of the meat off the fillet and laid them in a shallow plastic container and covered them with kosher salt, pu a tight lid on them and put them in the frig. After a couple of days I drained off the moisture and they were ready to go. They can be restored in the frig after every trip, just kleep them cold when out fishing.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
They make great weakfish bait in the fall. I stipped them up last fall when the fluke would cooperate and the weakfish went nuts over them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.