BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a fed but I feel the regs are not in the best interest of the striped bass.

Here is my proposal (which is obviously worthless):

One slut fish between 24 - 28 inches
One fish between 28 -40 inches
One Trophy Tag over 40 inches
Here is the golden rule:

ALL FISH OVER 40 Inches (unless trophy tag used) goes back in the water. That's right! It should be illegal to keep bass over forty inches. Protect the eggs!

What would you propose?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Two fish 26 inches and over.

My opinion is that when we give two different sizes to fish for we can actually hurt the striper population. When the big fish are up the bay then people will keep catching trying to catch their small fish. When the schoolies are in the rips people will catch trying to fill the larger fish slot.

When people come into the shop I explain it like this. Tell me to go into my garden and pick two tomatoes and I'm in and out with no mess. Tell me to go in and pick one that is four inches around and another that is five and a half inches around and the garden will look like a mess when I come out.

We aren't that good at catching where we can fish for certain sized fish. The healthiest fish out there is one that hasn't been hooked.

Same boat as you. My opinion is also worthless.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Smaller fish are better to eat. A huge misguided "fact" is only the big fish breed is not so. All of the female 28-34 inch are loaded with mature roe and ready to breed. Leave the regs alone, enforce the ghost gill net and "broken net" issues down south. Is this going to be another winter where we see miles upon miles of floating dead bass in NC waters and illegal ghost gill nets in the Chesapeake? Their recreational billboards are nice :rolleyes:. What bs.

2011 NC Slaughter:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Mike,

Not just North Carolina - there was a dragger on the Rattlesnake this past Saturday and we could see the bycatch in the water. We were hoping they were ling or whiting and the BFTs would be on them. No such luck - all of them were short stripers. The gulls were having a feast. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
it doesn't matter what the regualtions are because without enforcement people are going to keep what they want to keep anyway and there are ones out there that just do that without any thoughts about the best interest of striped bass
so make it one fish - two fish - red fish - blue fish

two over anything it too much but I could live with this
1 @ 24"- 28" ( for the table)
1 @ 40"+ ( true trophy )

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Unlimited sluts.

As for the bass, one at 28-34", one at 45"+

RyanF

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
the limits are just fine, leave them alone. Just enforce the laws that are on the books now, up the fines on the poachers and put the illegal netters in jail and confiscate their boats and all equipment:thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you fish back bays with light tackle, 1 slot (24" and up) and one over 28" would be nice. Actually there is not a better tasting Striper than one that is feeding upon shrimp and crabs. Cook whole 24" fish with no waste and has a shellfish taste to boot. At some points during the year, I catch nothing but 24-28" fish in the Upper Barnegat.

·
Registered
20,268 Posts
I'd like to grill a few more this year so Im going to go for the 1 24-28 & 1 or 2 28-40 with no more than 2 taken per man. Trophy tags for 40+ works for me but I think you should be able to take 2 a season... just in case you keep your one and then catch that 89# record....

How would you like to throw that back because you can't legally keep it cause you took a 50# in April?? I'd be suicidal....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.