BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,461 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You get what you pay for. What you save with a cheaper one could cost more than your willing to pay if something happens. If you plan any offshore ventures get a good one. If you do buy a Cat 2 for insore only you can always rent the better ones for a day week or month. Also be sure to complete the regestration and keep it updated. Also keep up with the battery.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
If by very few trips you mean like 2 a year or so you may want to research renting. My info is dated but I seem to remember that Boat US and West marine used to do that. You would (theoretically) have the latest technology every season and no battery replacement costs.
The down side is that planning ahead for offshore is problematic but that may be addressed by the renters as it not an uncommon issue. Whatever you decide an EPIRB should always go offshore with you. Good luck, Granpa

Sorry Mike M. I just noticed your advice on renting.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Renting

I did not know you could rent I will have to look into that. As far as going to canyon last year I did not go the year before I went once I do go 20 to 40 off 4 or 5 times a year but most of the time Im within sight of the beach.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Just yesterday.

PORTSMOUTH, Va. — The Coast Guard rescued a 57-year-old man from a 28-foot sailboat sinking 58 miles east of Cape Hatteras, N.C., Sunday.

The GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center contacted Coast Guard Sector North Carolina watchstanders at approximately 3 p.m. after a personal locator beacon registered to the sailing vessel The Answer started broadcasting a distress signal.

Sector North Carolina dispatched a 47-foot Motor Life Boat from Coast Guard Station Oregon Inlet and an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter and crew from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., to locate the distressed vessel and render assistance. The Jayhawk crew arrived on scene and hoisted the man from the sailboat before taking him to Air Station Elizabeth City. Upon arrival the man was transported via emergency medical services to Albemarle Hospital where he was treated for hypothermia and released.

"Emergency beacons are an important piece of safety equipment," said Captain Anthony Popiel, the commanding officer of Sector North Carolina. "The Coast Guard strongly urges all mariners to carry an EPIRB aboard their vessel, especially when they are offshore and out of marine radio range."

###

Saving Lives and Guarding the Coast Since 1790.
The United States Coast Guard -- Proud History. Powerful Future.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I would not leave the inlet without an EPIRB

Ask yourself how much would you pay for a working EPIRB as your boat is sinking or you are having a heart attack and your buddy does not know how to get back to the inlet or any other situation that could come up.

·
Registered
719 Posts
a category II for sure... ACR is most popular but there are many that will do the job for less money.

heres some to look at. but give me a call I have some good deals on Epirbs.

http://www.terminatortackle.com/shop/marine-safety-c-234.html
Joe, you seem to be pretty strongly in favor of Cat II. What are your thoughts here? I recently bought a Cat II but I am curious to hear why you lean that way (I was not heavily favoring either...just needed to make a decision).

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Joe, you seem to be pretty strongly in favor of Cat II. What are your thoughts here? I recently bought a Cat II but I am curious to hear why you lean that way (I was not heavily favoring either...just needed to make a decision).
Category II are self activated where as Category I's are triggered by hydrostatic pressure when the vessel sinks to a certain depth.

Most smaller boats today will capsize but may not sink for a while.

Me personally, Id rather trip it myself and hold on to it while floating around waiting for help.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Joe. Sounds reasonable to me.

On a related note, I bought an ACR Cat II and the mounting options are not what I expcted. I don't have a great area to mount it that I can drill into that would be out of the way, but still obvious and accessible.

As an alternative, I was planning to strap it to the piping for the hard top. I should be able to mount it on a vertical pipe just above a horizontal brace that will keep it from sliding down.

Anyone know where I can get a good strap (thinking velcro that doulbles over itself?) that will secure it to the pipe and minimize vibration?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cat I or Cat II

So the differance between Cat I and Cat II is how they release if that is all I would only get Cat I My boat wont sink and from what I see it would have to be 10ft underwater before it goes off that.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Joe. Sounds reasonable to me.

On a related note, I bought an ACR Cat II and the mounting options are not what I expcted. I don't have a great area to mount it that I can drill into that would be out of the way, but still obvious and accessible.

As an alternative, I was planning to strap it to the piping for the hard top. I should be able to mount it on a vertical pipe just above a horizontal brace that will keep it from sliding down.

Anyone know where I can get a good strap (thinking velcro that doulbles over itself?) that will secure it to the pipe and minimize vibration?
Mine is not mounted, it is kept in the ditch bag along with the rest of the safety equipment needed in the event of an emergency.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I sent my Cat 2 ACR Epirb to be serviced last season. When I got it back and looked at the reciept I was sorry that I did'nt purchase a new Cat 2 Gpirb instead. Something you might want to consider.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Ask yourself how much would you pay for a working EPIRB as your boat is sinking or you are having a heart attack and your buddy does not know how to get back to the inlet or any other situation that could come up.

Exactly what I was thinking... This was one of the first safety items I purchased... I have the ACR Cat II. 400.00 is a cheap price to pay for knowing you have a safety line! My boat dont leave the dock without it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts