BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year I was crushing the bass. Then it all stopped. I only have 4 weakfish to my name this year, by my records I usually have 200+ by now. As for bass I should avg.(5 years) 350+ by now. I have 225 with more days / nights fished :confused: this year. Recently I have had more skunk nights then ever before.
Anyone else notice a major drop in there catches?

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Rodger, if you're not catching fish then what chance do I have :eek: Its been a weird year, but every year is for me. I've caught bass, but no keepers. I also have caught weakies, but not the tiderunners I've been looking for.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
It has been an up and down year for me on bass.
I had a real good week last week leading up to the New Moon . Bite however didn't last long first 2 hours of outgoing than nothing but the bass were decent size up to 32 "
Since New Moon,it has been dead. Also lack of baitfish probably is having an effect on bass staying around
I have only seen 2 small pods of peanut bunker and nothing in the way of silversides
Now,this lousy weather and all the rain is going to have an effect on everything as it is dropping the salinity significantly.
I don't expect a real good bite until near the full moon .
I also only have 5 weakfish this year BUT I'm beginning to see signs of weakfish activity
Also a down year for inshore Bluefish,nothing like past 2 springs
The good news is up until the rains there were plenty of Fluke around and a pretty good ratio of 4-1 on legal fish

·
Registered
908 Posts
I know how your feeling. I stopped going
because it's been so poor. I had a few decent
trips, but nothing like the last few years. I
haven't seen the peanuts, which is the problem
if you ask me. This time last year they were
thick with a lot of bass on their heels. I had
many double digit nights in back until the end
of July. Let's hope they still show...

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
I agree bucktail, not as many backbay blues compared to the past couple of springs. Fluke fishing has been overall very good. The fluke don't seem to be moving much. I have caught fluke in the same spot all season long.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not doing super bad but there is definately a difference in numbers. The spearing are not here in numbers and that holds the big fish numbers down. Going out tonight and try again. By my records the weaks should be here in good numbers anytime now. If your not there you will never know when they arrive.

[ 06-28-2006, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: striperaholic ]

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
It's all about bait! JHMO
Huge pods of bunker are holding fish to the north of us.
When the bait appears so will the fish.
Everything seems to be 2 - 4 weeks late this year.
Rodger, I think it would be interesting to see how your log compares to May 28, 2005.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Definatly a strange year, fluke out and around barnegat inlet have been hit or miss.... bass have been around and blues seem to be everywhere. when you find the bunker, get under them to the bass, and blues, there have been some large blues taken very close to shore and even from the beach. bass from what i hear has been decent from the beaches, and fluke have been more abundant in the suds as well... well that what i know on the from BI

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Maybe the numbers are down,but don't you think the quality of fish are up..... ????

·
Registered
908 Posts
Maybe the numbers are down,but don't
you think the quality of fish are up..... ????
Flounder, yes...
Bass, no...
Weakies, ???

There seem to be a lot more mid-sized weakfish
around...18-24", rather than spikes.
I can't catch a tiderunner to save my life :D

I'm only referring to O.C. back bays. That's
strictly based on my logs...

[ 06-28-2006, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: earlybird ]

·
Registered
107 Posts
The size of the spring bass have been much bigger this year but the numbers are down haven't run into many of the "rat" bass this year they all seem to be in the slot or bigger size range. On the weekies no tiderunners for me yet this year but i will keep tring only a handful of 18-22 in fish. The flounder action has been very good and the % of throwbacks has been low for me.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
quility is definately up. 50-60% keeper ratio..
as for last year I had more fish (bass) less keepers over 28". As for weaks they were late but we had a great run when they arrived. 2004 (avg. 20+ each night)was real good on weaks my best was 1999 avg was 30-40 weaks per night on this date h2o was 62 deg. But there was alot of spearing around.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As far as salinity goes, I can see if you have a river emptying directly into your local backwaters, but for the majority of us, I tend to think that the freshwater would get washed out in 1 tide cycle. And even then, I bet the salinty wouldn't take a significant drop.

·
Registered
79 Posts
striperholic what did you use to catch 30 weakes a night on?1?! that is very amazing number!! and did you catch them in the back bays?? and at night i am assuming??

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well got into them last night / this morning. Fish were hanging up current away from all the lights. Go figure. They were crashing my plugs like it was there last meal. No sign of life on the surface.
81486 I was useing spearing with there head cut off on a bare hook weighted with a small split shot. Also a fin s on 3/8 lead head in the alewife color. Spearing was the best though.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Rodger, the past two nights I've gotten into some weakies in the back. All were between 23-15". I've also noticed quite a bit of bait. Maybe things are starting to change.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts