BASS BARN banner

What is the best Avet reel for ocean fluke/tog?

19K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  mattlist 
#1 ·
What model is most recommended for fluking at the reef and tog fishing on the wrecks?

Any thoughts and opinions on the Avets overall?

#2 ·
I have an avet sx that I use for both fluking and striper fishing. Great reel from chunking to jigging bucktails. Can't go wrong with them for $150:thumbsup:

#3 ·
I use an SX for all my fluke bucktail fishing and love it. My biggest thing is if your Jigging for eight or more hours you need as light and powerfull reel as you can get, and the SX is that reel. I don't see any reason to get the MC or raptor if it's just for those type fishing mentioned.

#8 ·
What do these reels run about, should have asked $ earlier in the post

#10 ·
Avet reel maintenace from website

How do I care for my Avet reel?

Your Avet Reel is a precision machined instrument. For maximum durability, reasonable care must be given for ultimate performance of the reel. Please view these images of a reel that was NOT cared for properly, to get a better idea of why we recommend the following basic care instructions for an Avet Reel: Salty Reel Image

After each fishing trip the reel should be cleaned. Rinse the reel in fresh water to remove accumulated salt deposits. The best way to rinse an Avet reel is to submerge the reel in cool fresh water, shake it under the water for 5-6 seconds, remove and shake out the excess water. Do not let the reel soak under water, or use warm or soapy water, as you don't want to start removing lubricants. You simply want to flash rinse the saltwater from inside before it evaporates and leaves salt behind. Just rinsing the outside of the reel does nothing for the INSIDE which is the most important, where salt does the most damage. Understandably, it can be a hassle removing the reels from your rods, especially if you use them daily like the hundreds of guides and charter captains do. Many of our captains and pro staff use a simple and effective method that works very well. Taking an inexpensive tall plastic kitchen sized trash can filled with water, they dunk the butt end of each rod with the reel attached, shake it up and down for 5-6 seconds, and done! This is actually faster, and uses less water than haphazardly spraying the gear down with a hose, and it takes care of any salt inside the reel as well as outside.

Dry excess moisture from the reel and sparingly lube exposed mechanisms using your included Avet Lube, or any high quality lube designed for saltwater applications. You should use a high quality spray lubricant sprayed onto a rag to wipe down the outer surfaces of the reel to protect it and displace any moisture, and to help protect it the next time it’s used. Do not spray lubricant directly on the reel. Spray lube acts as a penetrating solvent and will dissolve and flush away the grease and lubricant vital to the working mechanisms. Also, the drag surfaces are just inside of the gap between the spool and frame on the drive side of the reel. Spraying lubricant/protectant in this area will foul the drag surfaces and will make the drag jerky. Your Avet Reel should be stored in a cool dry place. Do not store in a sealed plastic bag or airtight container, as the reel may develop condensation. Always be sure to store your reel with the lever drag in the free position to release pressure from various components of the reel. This will also allow the drag surfaces and internal parts to dry if they are wet. Periodically examine your reel for loose screws or fittings and take action if necessary. Your Avet Reel should have a full tear down clean and lube service at least once every season, more with heavy use. Click HERE for information about our Flat Rate Premium factory Maintenance.

#11 ·
I bought an Avet SX this year for striper fishing in the rips. It replaced a Calcutta 400. I am very happy with the Avet SX, as with all my other Avet offshore outfits. However, if you have any intentions of casting I would recommend going for the Magic Cast (MC) feature. I believe MC adds about $40-$50 to the cost.

I've bird nested the SX a few times when simply dropping the bait:(. I need to pay better attention:eek:.

Aside from my lack of attention, the only other nit I have with the SX is a little play in the anti-reverse mechanism. The Calcutta had zero play in that regard, which I got very used to.

#12 ·
Avet Sx or Mx if you want more line capacity. I think they bumped the price upto $179, now. They were $219. for the single speed then dropped to $159 to match the Atlas 200 price. when they did I grabbed 3 of the Avets and got rid of my other reels, love the reels made in the US.

#19 ·
I have 5 of the sx's, an mx and some of the 30w avets... Sweet reels.

The SX is still 159... you can't beat it. Several retailers offer 10-15% off everything coupons occasionally and free shipping/no tax. You can be into a sx @ 140.00 new if you take your time :thumbsup:

#20 ·
I like the canyon reels, but I definetly like the Avets more, more drag then you'll ever need on the Avet for what you want it for, great price and I love buying the only reel completely made in the US. I have 5 Avets now an SX,MX,HX and two 30EX's and have never had a single problem with any of them, BobECT hooked me up with them all and I couldn't be happier with them, I did have a few Saltist and don't feel they are anywhere close to the Avets even though they're good reels, but the Avets are much cheaper then the Saltist and I feel much better. I've got an MX on a 6'6" Trevela rod which I use for everything inshore, includeing drumfish, and have caught yfin and bfin in the school size 50lbers on the set-up with ease. if bigger fish are around I switch to the HX which will handle anything that I'm jigging for, I have an SX on a Tri-flex 7'er which I like just as much. Great reels.

#21 ·
I have 2 Avet SX's that we use for tog, deepwater flounder and drum. They are smooth as silk and work great. I bought both of mine from ECT Tackle. I think they are now $159....that is a deal

#22 ·
For making comparisons I'd say Canyon and Accurate play in the same ballpark much like Atlas and Avet do. If your just using the reel for Fluke,Tog and Bass go with the Avet SX or an Atlas. The Atlas is lighter allowing you to feel out the bite a bit more, but the Avet SX is priced great these days and time tested solid reel with great service. If you want something faster and a bit more versatile in the same size package spend a bit extra for the Canyon HS-15.

Whichever you choose Bob at East Coast is a great source to get answers and equipment from.

#23 · (Edited)
Matt I thought you worked for Atlas? Now you hang your shingle at Canyon? He did ask about an Avet but I understand you pumping your product but last year was Atlas.:huh:

Avet and Accurate are both machined and assembled here in the US....CA to be exact. No way can you even say Atlas (OKOMO) and AVet are the same. Avet has a much bigger line of reels and has be around for some time. Accurate is built on its own platform and has also been around for over 20 yrs and the price point is higher than most with top notch machine work.

Atlas never impressed me but I like the Canyon's. They are assembled here in the US but machined overseas so that is a plus. But they are the new kid on the block so time will tell with them. The owner seems like he is top notch and the NJ dealers seem to be on top of the reels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.