BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are all kinds, but what really works for vastly different lines? Yesterday I was trying to tie a #6 line to a #25 flourocarbon leader and it is a real PITA. I was fishing for bass with lots of blues in the area and did not want to get bit off.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ditto on the Double Uni. Line diameter of each does not matter.

·
Registered
678 Posts
blood if mono to mono, double up the smaller. If there is a big difference in diameter go with the albright. For braid to mono, uni knot, although I am not a fan of mono leaders with braid in NJ waters, just don't think it's ever necessary- I tie all my artificials direct to the braid. For freshwater tippets, I use a triple surgeons ,but I wouldn't trust that for the salt & bigger fish.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have tried many different knots this past year and have yet to find a better one then the double uni. Easy to tie when you figure it out and very strong. I can now tie it blindfolded.....Equales in the dark on a jetty...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, the double uni looks really easy and I think I am going to have to give that a try. Are there any down sides to it?

To be honest, I have been fishing the bays at night for stripers and weakies for nearly 15 years and I have never tried the braided lines. I guess it is time I move into the 21st century...

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
i like a spro barrel swivel between my leader and main line,make a loop to double the line for the thinner stuff and tie an improved clinch knot ...,as long as you double the line it works great for all mono,floro,and braid .....and i believe its 90+ % The breaking strength of the line used

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
I also like the double uni for line to line connections. It is easy to tie and I could do it in less time then it would take to open the tackle box and pick out a swivel and tie it on.
I have used it for livelining herring for stripers and for plugging. So far it had held up to Stripers up to 30 pounds form the beach and the boat.
I also like it for night fishing from the surf.
You don't have to worry about reeling the swivels through the guides and it will not damage the guides like a swivel would. I haven't used a swivel since learnig this knot.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Agree totaly wit TSS. With the double uni you can use a longer leader and just reel the knot into the rod. The longer leader will last a whole day of fishing and multiple reties. I usually start with a 3 foot leader of 25lb seagar and by the end of the night I only have about 8" left. Make sure you check you leader after every fish because even a small knick severly comprimises the strength of the line. Retie often and you will have fewer breakoffs.

·
Banned
2,974 Posts
I like the Albright Knot for wind on leaders and shock leaders. It's easy to tie and never had one break loose or come apart. For shock leaders on our surf rods I use a 30 or 40# mono that's two rod lengths and a few wraps on the reel to allow for trimming up due to scrapes. For bite guards when chucking metals or plugs, we use a short shot of 50# fluoro about 12" or so and put a good swivel inline between.

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
How many times are you wrapping the pp around the mono. I usually wrap 20 lb pp around 10-12 times. The fluro depends on the pound test.
I usually wrap it 4 or 5 times with 25 and 30 pounds test.
Make sure you pull each knot tight before bringing them together.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I find if I rush the knot it will fail. I pul even on the two knots then bring them closer. When I have then about 1/8" apart I pull both as tight as I can and then pull then together and trim the tags. haven't had a break off since. be patient tying the knot and it is close to 100%.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
My .03 cents. Slim beauty. I like it a lot. Close to 100% & it really is a "slim Beauty"

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I'm no expert by any means but I like the blood knot for tying mono to mono,braid to flouro,and mono to flouro.I'll go up to a 25lb difference in line diameters and be ok,but the main reason I use it is because it never really fails me and I have confidence in the set up.I will also use a Spro swivel from time to time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.