BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not even bothered reading the ongoing posts about this subject because guys have been doing this for years with great results. Most of the fish you catch are going to be little dinks and if they had not changed the limit to include 24 inch slot fish you would be hard pressed to get one keeper at 28 inches. We use to use bucktails in the later part of the striper season on the bird play. One day we caught over a 100 yet not one fish was over 30 inches. The next day we drifted eels at Brown Shoal and limited out with 12 stripers up to 43 inches in the first 3 hours. One of my charter boat freinds fished Prissy Wick starting over 10 years ago using almost exclusively bucktails and had great trips but did not bring back nearly has many keepers as the boats fishing eels. He always put up big numbers but mostly fish in the 26 inch range. My point here is using bucktails or jigs is not something new but always produced well but mostly small stripers compared to the other methods. Eels, live spot, bunker and clams may not catch as many fish but usually much bigger ones. Bucktails do catch and it used to be my favorite way to catch large weakfish around structure but not my favorite way to catch stripers. I think there are much better ways and stand by this from over 25 years striper fishing. Note: Wire line trolling is the one I like the least and have not done it for years but it also works well. There are other ways to catch bigger stripers away from the rat race of Prissy Wick and the million boats that fish there and like other years we will be at one of the other places targeting the bigger fish.
Capt John

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Some guys just like to have a fight on the other end of thier line.I don't bucktail the rips at all.But i can see why some of these guys do it.Lots of action on a bucktail.Besides,not everyone likes eating them COWS!!!

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
With all due respect, any one of the many people that have been onboard my vessel while bucktailing can attest to its productivity on fish of all size categories. I have had countless Bass Barners on board for both live baiting and bucktailing trips, and the majority prefer the latter. Also, the generalization that most fish caught on bucktails are dinks is grossly inaccurate, as on a year to year basis we catch fish upwards of 25lbs. to 30lbs. on bucktails. Believe me, I have caught many fish over 40lbs. while live baiting the rips and surrounding areas, but bucktailing is still my favorite for that area.

In regards to Captain Skip's post, I think that it is very informative and will certainly help some of the Barners that aren't of that experience level to put fish on the deck.

I don't usually get involved in these sort of debates, and will let the experiences of my customers speak for themselves.

[ 10-08-2005, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: TheAdamBomb ]

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No debate intended because I stand by many years of fishing the rips and other locations for stripers. Live bait does catch bigger fish than small bucktails but I have caught larger fish slow trolling 3 Oz bucktails with heavy trolling weights with lead core line but very few casting small buctails. I have never came close to catching the size fish on the big rip with bucktails versus spots or eels.
To each and their own and like I said bucktails are very effective way to fish if you are after
lots of action on light spinners which is fine. To many times we have had charters put bucktails in the riggers, hook others and have a bunch of throw back small fish bleeding from the gills. It is just not for me on regular charters but when fishing on a center console with 3 or 4 experienced fisherman it can provide lots of action and fun. When casting bucktails thur the years we have found the mate catches 99% of the fish because the charters are just not skilled enough to cast a bucktail in crowed conditions or a rocking boat. This is another reason I prefer eels or live spot when fishing the rips or bunker chunking anchored up the bay. The bottom line is there are many different ways to fish the rips and Delaware Bay for stripers and we are all free to chose how we fish. Bucktails and jigs saves the cost of live bait and fresh bunker but you will never catch the bigger fish this way and I have to many years fishing with all kinds of jigs including bucktails to change my opinion. To each and their own and that is way it should be. My most favorite way to catch stripers is live lining herring and using poppers when the fish come up to the surface and slam it. We have geared our charter business to catching fewer fish but larger ones and but that does not mean we will not be giving the rips a look once in a while when targeting slot fish but will avoid Prissy Wick when ever possible. The only times I enjoy fishing the big rip is in the middle of the night in June when there are only 3 or 4 boats around and everyone is spaced a hundred yards apart on most nights but that is another story. Remember to each and there own and that works for me.
Capt John

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's funny but will not mention that any more. (experience) Remember: I do not hate fishing with jigs or bucktails but prefer other methods and each of you can decide how and where you target stripers this fall.
Capt John

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
27lb. bass on a jig...

31lb. bass on a jig...

Both near the big rip at Prissy Wick.

Nothing like feeling them slam an artificial whether it's a bucktail, plug, or popper!

[ 10-09-2005, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: TheAdamBomb ]

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by Captain's John & Diana:
I have not even bothered reading the ongoing posts about this subject because guys have been doing this for years with great results. Most of the fish you catch are going to be little dinks and if they had not changed the limit to include 24 inch slot fish you would be hard pressed to get one keeper at 28 inches. We use to use bucktails in the later part of the striper season on the bird play. One day we caught over a 100 yet not one fish was over 30 inches. The next day we drifted eels at Brown Shoal and limited out with 12 stripers up to 43 inches in the first 3 hours. One of my charter boat freinds fished Prissy Wick starting over 10 years ago using almost exclusively bucktails and had great trips but did not bring back nearly has many keepers as the boats fishing eels. He always put up big numbers but mostly fish in the 26 inch range. My point here is using bucktails or jigs is not something new but always produced well but mostly small stripers compared to the other methods. Eels, live spot, bunker and clams may not catch as many fish but usually much bigger ones. Bucktails do catch and it used to be my favorite way to catch large weakfish around structure but not my favorite way to catch stripers. I think there are much better ways and stand by this from over 25 years striper fishing. Note: Wire line trolling is the one I like the least and have not done it for years but it also works well. There are other ways to catch bigger stripers away from the rat race of Prissy Wick and the million boats that fish there and like other years we will be at one of the other places targeting the bigger fish.
Capt John
John,

It's O.K. that you didn't read my post..maybe you didn't think it would help you in anyway...but I didn't really post it for you. You couldn't know this, but in the beginning of the post it says.
As a charter boat Captain I get asked alot of questions. Either it be by my charters or through emails from other people fishing their own boats.
So the topic was for all of those people!

No one said that bucktailing was something new! Just that it can be more effective certain times of the year! There were over 100 responses to "Presenting your Bucktail in the CM Rips" and about 200 emails...and the only negative feedback is coming from another charter operation! WHY??

All smaller fish?
Averaged size eel fish!
Smae thing!
Bigger then Average!
And even I got a nice one!

To many times we have had charters put bucktails in the riggers
Take them down!

hook others and have a bunch of throw back small fish bleeding from the gills
I rarely see that!

when fishing on a center console with 3 or 4 experienced fisherman it can provide lots of action and fun.
Just on a center console?

When casting bucktails thur the years we have found the mate catches 99% of the fish because the charters are just not skilled enough to cast a bucktail in crowed conditions or a rocking boat.
John, I have to say that this is some some B.S. You teach them, and tell them what to do! I think that the best part about being a Captain! Helping someone to cast, retrieve and then hook a fish under your instruction is what it's all about!

The bottom line is there are many different ways to fish the rips and Delaware Bay for stripers and we are all free to chose how we fish.
So, when you make a topic on these types of fishing...I will read then and leave it at that!

Bucktails and jigs saves the cost of live bait
And that's the only reason we use them. (NOT) We use bucktails because, yes..we want to catch every fish posssible! Sad thing is..I won't be speding too much time in my new house this fall because we use bucktails :confused: :D !!

Remember to each and there own and that works for me.
If it was, you wouldn't have posted this topic at all!

P.S. John.

This topic was posted even before you were a member. I like to put it up each season (Fall and Spring) so maybe it will help with any questions people might have who might like to bucktail in the rips!

Have a good fall!

Capt. Skip Jastremski ;)

[ 10-09-2005, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: striper2278 ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
John, you have always been forthcoming when it came to sharing info regarding tuna spots and such on the radio. Always willing to share your wealth. But I have to tell you how ignorant you sound regarding this subject. I would like to invite you to fish with me skip,adam and perhaps your wife if she would like to join us. Perhaps if you got back out there on the rips with these guys you would find that it's not like you think. Remember its not how long you've been doing it, but how long you've been doing it right! perhaps you can learn something from these young bucks! and by the way, i do believe it was your yellow carolina i saw in the rips several times last year, unless there's another one around here.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would welcome the oppurtunity to fish with any of the guys that fish with jigs on a regular basis. I have been casting bucktails for a long time and have caught lots of stripers using them but not nearly as big as with eels, spot or bunker. We fish the rips but prefer eels over buctails and chunking over the rips. Just a preference on my part.
Capt John

·
Registered
31,755 Posts
Why ask the question?

Everyone has their favorite methods of fishing, why's one have to better then the other?

I don't eat fish over 32 inches or so I have no interest in gut hooking bigger ones with bait. I also don't like watching paint dry so I don't chunk or clam.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Originally posted by Captain's John & Diana:
Hey guys good for you on your catches. I just have a different opinion on bucktailing. Keep posting those pictures this fall and maybe I will have to eat crow.
Capt John
Capt John,
It really all depends on what the charter wants to catch! A lot of charters just want to catch a lot of fish!

My personal best Striper of 44 lbs was caught on a bucktail at the Vineyard. But I do have to agree that live bait will produce bigger fish on a more consistant basis!

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
We just ordered 5dozen Bucktails ;) :D

·
Registered
16,417 Posts
I think you have to commend the guys who jig the smaller fish, they outnumber the bigger fish, there's more action, smaller fish fight harder and have a better chance to survive when released. Also, we're all better served when charter boats...who fish alot keep limits of slot size fish, 2 per man w/ tags than limits of 2 per man of 34+" fish. Plus, these guys fish well into the winter when all there is are mostly smaller fish with jigging, trolling or gobbing a hunk of clam on the hook being the preferred methods. I think most rather jig. Sure, chunking bunker catches the big ones but it's less challenging and more damaging to the stocks of bass.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Matt,the last line of your post says it all.
That was a good post on a bad thread.

·
Registered
714 Posts
We are so lucky to have The Barn as a method to communicate our ideas and knowledge.
When you think about it there are more methods employed for catching stripers, ie. chunking bunker, chumming with bunker,chunking with clambellies, pulling eels, trolling wire, etc, etc than Walt Disney had stories. Hell, my fishing partner catches an incredible amount of stripers in the race using a twenty ounce weight with a bucktail on a three way swivel.

We are so lucky to have so many methods and so many people willing to share their methods. I for one am always reticent to try new methods because I do not want to possibly waste a fishing day, especially striper season, since it is so short.
People like Captains Skip and John and Adam encourage me through their posts to try new ways.

I know one thing for sure, when it comes to inshore fishing, whether it be on the reefs or rips, there are not many who know more than Skip and Adam.
When I hear stories of Skip catching stripers with waves breaking over his head I cringe thinking how that skinny body can withstand it.
Oh to be young again.
Captains Skip, John and Adam thanks for sharing and helping all of us.

·
Registered
907 Posts
My post is not to condemn or condone anyone's personal preference of fishing for stripers. With that said I must say I prefer the action of a day in the Rips using any method over a day in the bay Chunking. My favorite being drifting live spot with a very close second being sliding down a Rip with a live eel or spot with the rear of the boat facing the rip and putting boat in gear every so often to keep your baits in the strike zone.Bucktailing is also alot of fun and can give you multiple shots at the strike zone on a single drift, by casting back to the strike zone. This is something that can't be done with live bait.Chunking in the Bay can be very boring alot of times and Banner days are a lot harder to come by when you're talking quantity.If you ask most Tuna fisherman if they would prefer 15 or 20 Yellows in the 50 to 60 range on an overnighter as opposed to 1 or 2 over 100 I think it's obvious what the answer would be. I don't think Striper fishing is that much different in that respect. However with Striper fisherman there are some who swear by the Rips and some who swear by the Bay, much like the Chunking versus Trolling argument we see every year on the Offshore Forum. This Post refers to the Fall striper season as the Spring season with Clams in the Bay can be very rewarding, but I'd still prefer a day in the Rips.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.