BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With NJ out of compliance, what is the chances of us losing out this striper season? Is it possible that us Jersey boys are going to have to pack it in? I would think that it won't come to that but I never thought the "powers to be" would not vote on the striper issue.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
It's A Crap's Shoot.....
Could Go Either Way I Think,,,,
If The Striped Bass Season doe's Close for the
Rest of The Year. Alot,I Mean Alot of People
are Going To Be Very UnHappy....
Maybe Then The Masses will rally together....

But, You Know What Based On What I Am Hearing
and What Showed up in some of the UnOfficial
Polls on the Fishing Websites,Looks Like Half
of the Fishermen in NewJersey will Continue to
Fish For Striped Bass No Matter What...

Will See....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Posted by Mr. Nightstrikes:

"Alot,I Mean Alot of People
are Going To Be Very UnHappy....
Maybe Then The Masses will rally together...."

What an understatement - my blood boils even thinking about the possibility.

So, I would pose a question.

What would you rather have?

A new size and bag limit for stripers that brings us back into compliance removing the possibility of a complete moratorium (which penalizes anglers for targeting or even catching them as by-catch) for some unknown time limit?

Or do you support the groups and legislators in NJ that are fighting against coming into compliance by fighting for alternative size and bag limits knowing that the risk is likely a complete moratorium on stripers?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
"I vote for A New Size & Bag Limit for Stripers."

I just want to fish,,,I am also scheduled to
fish a few Surf Tournaments this Fall that I
have not been able to the last few years and
was really looking forward to getting back
into that scene.,A Complete Moratorium would
Shut those things down,for sure.....

[ 08-19-2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I think we should have a size and bag limit on Politicians in this STATE
Once you catch your limit you throw them out

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I will be fishing regardless of what happens...The fall is my time of year. Let the chips fall where they may.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've talked to several striped bass fisherman and they have expressed little concern with bag limits. If we're allowed 2 fish, fine. If we're allowed 2 fish and a bonus, fine. If we're allowed no fish...well, that of course is a different story, especially for the charter boat people. But for the rest of us, fishing is fishing. If we can't keep'em, we'll release them just like most of you probably do anyway.

But theofish said it best "fall is my time of year" - Amen to that.

By the way, we probably won't have a governor soon once all of the smoke settles from the ongoing soap opera horror show.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Originally posted by striper2278:
Alot of us will be out of jobs!
Capt Skip you could always dock your boat in NY.I would be more then happy to show you guys around.

Regards,

Art

[ 08-20-2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: The real Clamman ]

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
From everything that I have read and seen I think, we all have something to be shaking in our boots about. This is what happens when greed and ego get involved in fisheries management.
I could care less if a striper ever comes over my stern. I do however need to be able to catch bunker so you guys can catch the bass. You see I/we have more at stake then you guys could ever even dream of.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Unhappy is an understatement. Our livelihood is at stake! I think there'd be a war! We need STRIPERS!

[ 08-20-2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: TheAdamBomb ]

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I would also like to add that this is the work of one man . A few months ago right before the sh-t hit the fan. There was a state fisheries meeting. At this meeting 2 of the big 3 fishing groups tried to do what the ASMFC wanted them to do. Those two guys/groups received resistance from one man. Then the State tried to do the right thing and received the same resistance. What it all boils down to is greed and ego. There were a few barners there it was a show and a half.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
They'll have to pry the St Croix rod from my iron-gripped, clenched hands.

Imagine the SWAT team at the mouth of the canal.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Biggest he was appointed I think $$$$$$$ appointed him. Perhaps a queer eye for the striped bass guy. He wasn't a Boatmen and he doesn't have any recreational fishing allegiance. He can represent you for 25.00. I don't understand how he got appointed in the first place. BTW sends out a lame news letter telling half truths. When I took it upon my self to take those statements to task. I was removed from the mass mailing list. Several of my very good buddies still get the "news letter" so I still get to prof read it and re mail it. Sorry a spade is a spade.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts