BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some pricey production lures out there, But custom lures can reach upwards of $30 and $40 dollars, How much will you spend for a single lure that you plan to fish off the surf ?

Is that why some of you builders decided to make your own?.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ive got a pile of Gary2 slims, tigers and a couple sidekicks that I fish the hell out of and they catch like crazy...I could probaly get close to a couple hundred bucks for those plugs each if I put them on ebay or SOL..I could care less..its what Gary made them for and what he would want.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
.I could care less..its what Gary made them for and what he would want.

Amen, KeysKid.
Gary was a helluva guy...they broke the mold when they made him. Although in later years he fished from a boat a lot, he was never too busy to call in a head's up to some of the surf guys to let us know what he saw out there, and to be on the lookout for.

Fish the hell out of those plugs....you're absolutely right, I feel he would have wanted it that way....

I remember exactly where I was when I got the news that he passed during fishing season., I was out on the water, wading some flats, catching bass and blues....we took a moment and said a prayer.....

RIP Gary....Although I didn't know ya as well as some others did, you were a true gentleman and all around helpful guy. I'm grateful for every time I ran into ya or got a chance to talk to ya....hope you are at peace and looking down on us mooks enjoying your creations.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Is that why some of you builders decided to make your own?.
Joe, I think we're on the same page here...:wave:
Didn't you have a night in the fall where you lost 3 plugs?
I lose em too, all the time....

The highest I will pay is $1.97! :rolleyes: :razz:

Seriously, I have paid upwards of $25 for a plug when I thought it was something I "had to have". I was pretty young and foolish back then, some might say I'm still as foolish....:eek: but not as young...

The philosophy I now have is that whatever plug or profile I'm using, it's only temporary....and there is no guarantee whether or not I'll be donating it to King Neptune that very night...so I'm really not inclined to spend big bucks for a plug that may soon part ways with it's owner....'

When fishing is good, I may lose a plug a week, that hurts a lot less when ya only paid $5-10 for each....

I do know a lot of builders, though, and support their efforts to make $$ with the quality plugs some of them are putting out....and you new guys should consider supporting them too,,,,if builders couldn't make any $$ at all, even a few dollars to cover their basic costs, many would stop, leave the market, and then you would have a market over-run with Asian knock-offs.....to some extent we have that today,,,,with Gary, Lefty, and Billy Mc gone,, there is less hype and fervor at the shows than there has ever been....

And the collector market is still pretty strong, that keeps a lot of builders in business as well....95 different colors and paint combos for every plug :rolleyes:

But it's still a good time for guys to go and see, check out the shows, we have some of the greatest on the E Coast right here in NJ. :thumbsup:

Whether you want that $25 plug that everyone says you "gotta have" or you are looking for used plastic plugs that most don't want....bombers, weighted bombers and redfins for a price range of $2-4/plug, you can get what you're looking for, by going to some of the local shows.

That being said, Asbury and Berkeley are coming up, guys. if you've never been, these are the shows not to miss.....
My preferred strategy for getting nice plugs is ho'ing them, though...:cool:

Joe if I see ya there I'll buy ya a coffee,,,,,:wave:

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe, I think we're on the same page here...:wave:
Didn't you have a night in the fall where you lost 3 plugs?
I lose em. All the time.

That being said, Asbury and Berkeley are coming up, guys. if you've never been, these are the shows not to miss.....
My preferred strategy for getting nice plugs is ho'ing them, though...

Joe if I see ya there I'll buy ya a coffee,,,,,:wave:
Yeah, a SS needle that had quite a few fish on it, a X Rap, 14 and a Custom Black 2 oz needle, that was also very productive. Fishing at night trying to lay those plugs right up tight to " get the BITE "along the down current side of a jetty , you are bound to lose a few,
You were crazy to thing you could find black lures hung in the rocks, but, I was impressed you offered to get them.

I'm looking to pick up a few wood peanut artificials, at the Berkley show, and maybe another Danny or needle if the price is right.
If not at the Berkley show, I'll see ya in Asbury. That's the big "ONE "

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm looking to pick up a few wood peanut artificials, at the Berkley show, and maybe another Danny or needle if the price is right.
I will be offloading some of my little wood Peanut and Mullet patterns down in O.C. on 3/3 at the intermediate school. Looks like there will be a lot of good vendors there. You may want to take a drive down for it, if you aren't already doing so.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
You were crazy to thing you could find black lures hung in the rocks, but, I was impressed you offered to get them.

If not at the Berkley show, I'll see ya in Asbury. That's the big "ONE "

Joe, I could have gotten those back for ya if that tide wasn't so high that night....

I have a few nicknames out there, on the times when I'm actually sociable and fish where others are....;)

One of them is "Crazy M-effer" :nuts:
Ya's can take that to mean what ya want, sometimes I forget to take my meds.....:razz:

Another is "Aquaman" :eek:
One night this fall there were a few of us fishin. We started catching around the same time. A regular I know was griping about "everyone catching on a black bomber", and he didn't have that one....:(

So I had just gotten a fish on it. Unhooked and released the fish, and handed him the bomber saying.....
Me:
"Here, Bro, go catch a fish on it.....
but if you lose this, you're buying me a new one, or giving up one of your plugs in trade before you walk out of here...you cool with that?" :fighting:

Him:
"Thanks bro, you're the best!"

3 minutes later he's locked solid in a rock 6 feet below him. :huh:
He calls over to me with a bummed out voice....."I guess I'll be buyin ya a new one, then, I'm snagged solid"

Me:
"Too bad, bro, guess you will be buying me a new one or giving up one of your other plugs...."

I kept fishing, caught another fish...
5 minutes later I see he's still over there, fussing with that snagged plug...I mean bombers are cheap, if ya lose one it's just the cost of doing business out there.....

He kept saying...."But it's so close, it's so close, I can see it right there...."

I eventually felt sorry for him....(fatal flaw in my character...:rolleyes:)
Went over there, said: "OK, the swells are pretty bad, I'm gonna time the swell, and go down there and try to get it for ya"...

You gotta stand with your hand out while I'm doing it, in case it gets too hairy I need to grab your hand to get back up.....

(it was pretty close, but the swells can be overwhelming at times, that's one of the reasons on the internet you will find an article I created.

Google
"groundswells and other terms
to read the article.

I timed the swells, got his plug back, but not before a higher wave from the mid-period swell that night broke over my head...and he and another guy had to help me back up in this drama filled moment in time....

Again, it would have been best to just consider that plug as donated to King Neptune...
Another friend who was there at the time gave me grief for helping that guy...if it was mine I would have just yanked to get the braid and leader back and moved on with another plug.....

Stories, stories, there are so many of them out there.. some good some bad.
but really, I want to to stress safety, over all else, how sad would it be for your family if you went out there, and didn't come home from a night of fishin?...I had the dubious pleasure of fishing next to a drunk guy the other night,...no business being out there in those conditions.,..glad to see he didn't turn up dead when I read the next morning's paper and saw that no one was reported missing....maybe I'll talk about that in another thread...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Joe, I have more ML swimmers/ Danny's than I could ever use in my lifetime...
Too much stuff...
If you're definitely going to Asbury let me know ahead of time and what colors you're looking for.....
I'll bring em down to give to ya... just give me a head's up before... and I have an extra stubby SS needle if ya need one to fill your inventory as well...

See, and you call Farrell X crazy. :nuts: ?????????
I never said he was crazy, he's a good fisherman...:thumbsup: just lazy...:eek:.:razz:
And to show that there are no hard feelings on my part, Farrell/Matt....if ya show up at the Asbury show, I'll give ya a Danny too....:wave:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Idk...I was gunna go to asbury, but im feeling a little lazy and may pick up a side job moving someone from hoboken to manhattan.....
:bow: Touche! :p
It ain't that hard to laugh at ourselves, is it? :thumbsup:

Tell ya what, if you really are working that day and can't make it..:razz:..I'll pass your Danny on to Judy, and she can give to to ya when you finally get back in the game.....:cool:
Or I can give it to Joe, for when he runs into you guys,....
Let me know what color, within reason, and I can probably get one out to ya.....:wave:

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:bow: Touche! :p
It ain't that hard to laugh at ourselves, is it? :thumbsup:

Tell ya what, if you really are working that day and can't make it..:razz:..I'll pass your Danny on to Judy, and she can give to to ya when you finally get back in the game.....:cool:
Or I can give it to Joe, for when he runs into you guys,....
Let me know what color, within reason, and I can probably get one out to ya.....:fighting::wave:
Ooooooooh, color choice too, make mine Pink lol.....:D

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
actually, i was so antsy to comment back, that realized i am doing this the day of the berkeley show, not asbury. bummed i am missing berkeley, but i would rather go to asbury anyway. its the little guys birthday and he wants to go too. last year he bought a fish on 8 p-nut with his birthday money..he insisted thats what he wanted to spend it on.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I used to load up on the expensive stuff... when they were $20 -$25. If I fished north of jersey I may still load up on 'em, but i don't find that I need 'em on most jersey beaches.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I used to load up on the expensive stuff... when they were $20 -$25. If I fished north of jersey I may still load up on 'em, but i don't find that I need 'em on most jersey beaches.

Depends on where you are fishing..I like those P Nuts for the "pocket" When the lil bunker are trapped . I've been on jetties where the Blues and Bass have them pinned in and they are literally flying up on the rocks..You can work that p-nut like a slash bait, with the rod tip down and get the fish to bust on it multiple times before you get a hook up. Very exciting!..Off the beach they aren't much good unless you get lucky and find a blitz...close.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Ooooooooh, color choice too, make mine Pink lol.....:D
Real men ain't afraid to use pink...:eek:
Can't help yz on that color, bro...but I can bring ya any other color ya want...
as long as it's white, black, blue, green, yellow or something close to that...:wave:

actually, i was so antsy to comment back, that realized i am doing this the day of the berkeley show, not asbury. bummed i am missing berkeley, but i would rather go to asbury anyway. its the little guys birthday and he wants to go too. last year he bought a fish on 8 p-nut with his birthday money..he insisted thats what he wanted to spend it on.

Does he fish for bluefish or just bass? I have a ton of stuff kids can use...let me know and I'll thow something for the little guy in with your Danny....(we seem to be all out of pink for now, Joe has cornered the market on that color)

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Real men ain't afraid to use pink...:eek:
Can't help yz on that color, bro...but I can bring ya any other color ya want...
as long as it's white, black, blue, green, yellow or something close to that...:wave:

Does he fish for bluefish or just bass? I have a ton of stuff kids can use...let me know and I'll thow something for the little guy in with your Danny....(we seem to be all out of pink for now, Joe has cornered the market on that color)

Yeah I'm like Joe Arpaio....The Sheriff in Texas that makes all the prisoners wear Pink Underwear and Sock!!!.i

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Joe, if yer now gonna tell us ya wear pink underwear....well sorry bro but I ain't gonna fish with ya! :eek:

:razz: :thumbsup:

(BTW hat's off to Sheriff Joe, more people in power should have the balls to do what he has)

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
if it works, will hold up for a while, I don't mind spending $35 on a single plug.

I use the Yo-Zuri Magnums and Rapala stuff that can cost $20 plus as a manufactured lure, so spending a few bucks more on a custom plug that is sealed and swims good. ;)

Here is the way I look at it....... I can spend $6 each on 10 lures that do not work, or I can spend $30 on 2 lures that catch fish. Its all the same thing in the end. :)

But, if the blues show up...... I will hide them!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.