BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I see where your going with this but why is it everybody has th give somebody a hard time when they keep fish!!!
Atleast they are not netting them and then dumping them.
If it's a paid charter,head boat,first bass,record bass,favorite fish to eat none of these are breaking any laws so I think you need to look else where if pointing fingers here...
Just my two cents !!

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not giving anyone a hard time.. i was all for the guy catching a fish of a lifetime.. i would have kept it too.. but release pretty much all that size after.. i like em 28-38in for the table

·
Registered
62,417 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
im not giving anyone a hard time.. i was all for the guy catching a fish of a lifetime.. i would have kept it too.. but release pretty much all that size after.. i like em 28-38in for the table
GET READY for 2015. THE Word is this -- 1 Slot Striper per day! Pretty close to the 28 - 38 inch you noted. Loved it when NJ had a slot fish at 24 to 28 inch and 1 over 28 inch. The 24 to 28 inchers taste great. Anything over 39 inches ... a lot more DARK blood lines/strips which makes them a bit harsh too eat-even after you cut them out!

STRIPERS FOREVER has been pushing for a 1 fish limit for a few years now --they will get their wish in 2015 from all the articles I've read. Not sure if NJ will still have a BONUS FISH in 2015 -- STRIPERS FOREVER want 1 fish per day for entire EAST COAST -but they may concede 1 LARGER TROPHY fish PER YEAR per angler.
Minimum Trophy size will be up there if they allow it.
Hardly worth hunting them if only ONE fish is allowed.

Stripers over 50 pounds have just about reached 'Menopause' with reduced egg production when they get that old --just like OLD Ladies ! The eggs that these big mamas carry and release -- most are IN-FERTILE.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
GET READY for 2015. THE Word is this -- 1 Slot Striper per day! Pretty close to the 28 - 38 inch you noted. Loved it when NJ had a slot fish at 24 to 28 inch and 1 over 28 inch. The 24 to 28 inchers taste great. Anything over 39 inches ... a lot more DARK blood lines/strips which makes them a bit harsh too eat-even after you cut them out!

STRIPERS FOREVER has been pushing for a 1 fish limit for a few years now --they will get their wish in 2015 from all the articles I've read. Not sure if NJ will still have a BONUS FISH in 2015 -- STRIPERS FOREVER want 1 fish per day for entire EAST COAST -but they may concede 1 LARGER TROPHY fish PER YEAR per angler.
Minimum Trophy size will be up there if they allow it.
Hardly worth hunting them if only ONE fish is allowed.

Stripers over 50 pounds have just about reached 'Menopause' with reduced egg production when they get that old --just like OLD Ladies ! The eggs that these big mamas carry and release -- most are IN-FERTILE.

Is that your opinion or is that fact? I've never heard that before?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Please state your source for this statement. I have never read anything of the sort in any published fishery studies.
Nothing like old humans. At age 16 a female striped bass can produce well over 3 million eggs. At age 4-5 when they are mature they will only lay a couple hundred thousand.
I've never seen a study that says old striped bass eggs are infertile.
PS- old women don't continue to produce eggs at all after menopause, so your comparisons to human fertility have no basis in science.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
catching a 6 man limit is worse, catching and keeping a 60 lb bass is only taking 1 fish out of the spawning pool catching a 6 man limit you are taking at least 12 fish out of the pool and with all things being equal at least half of them are going to be females of breeding age and size. That being said I would not keep a 60lb bass either. Take pics and release

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey I say to each their own... I only keep what I can eat And nothing more... As long as they stay legal what is the big deal?? I mean I'm all for keeping the species going but aren't they doing better now then anytime in the last 25 years?? It was 2 fish then and it's 2 fish now?? I honestly can't see it being a problem if the species continues to do well. Do your part by keeping only legal fish and making sure those around you do the same...

You really wanna make an impact go to any of the bridges after dark and stay there all night ... Make sure the hundreds of baby stripers aren't illegally kept like I have seen (and reported) over the last 10 years... There is plenty of spots you can go where there undersized fish being kept every night by the undesirables in the area... And by undesirables I mean any of the 50 people lining a bridge the keeping everything they catch no matter what it is..

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Hey I say to each their own... I only keep what I can eat And nothing more... As long as they stay legal what is the big deal?? I mean I'm all for keeping the species going but aren't they doing better now then anytime in the last 25 years?? It was 2 fish then and it's 2 fish now?? I honestly can't see it being a problem if the species continues to do well. Do your part by keeping only legal fish and making sure those around you do the same...

You really wanna make an impact go to any of the bridges after dark and stay there all night ... Make sure the hundreds of baby stripers aren't illegally kept like I have seen (and reported) over the last 10 years... There is plenty of spots you can go where there undersized fish being kept every night by the undesirables in the area... And by undesirables I mean any of the 50 people lining a bridge the keeping everything they catch no matter what it is..
this is a absolutely a big problem:mad: we need fish vigilantes:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
[/COLOR]
Caught me ! That last part was a bit of a tease... NOT a fact! BASS that big have already contributed billions of eggs over many years- so -what's the harm of keeping a couple --if you choose so? If it's legal -determined by marine biologists as what the population can sustain-It's OK to KEEP !! No one should be bashed for following the rules !!

·
Registered
84 Posts
this is a absolutely a big problem:mad: we need fish vigilantes:thumbsup:
Your right we really do... I know the marine police guys got a lot going on but you would think they would have some kind of presence on some of the more problem bridges..

But like I said I agree that you really shouldn't bash people for following the rules.. If it's that big of a deal to ANYONE then all you gotta do is go anywhere there's water and do your part while enjoying some fishing.. It may be the easiest way possible to help a species... Simply fish.. When you see someone keeping undersized or EVEN WHAT YOU THINK is undersized just give the police a call... I'm sure someone here can chime in with the appropriate number I haven't dug out my box yet.. I always keep it in there in a little laminated paper so I always have it and it don't get ruined.. Tape that to the underside of the lid of your box and no one knows any different.. Your in the middle of a pier and the guy next to you keeps a 20 inch fish... You go in your box like you need something... See the number then walk to the car like your forgot what you needed in there... Make the call the guy comes and starts checking coolers and next thing you know you just saved a lot of fish from an untimely demise...

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Philly I just miss the good old days on here when everybody said what a nice fish just not the what if's many of my friends say screw the site im not getting bashed when I put my pic on there....
On the other note read my new post !!!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
[/COLOR]
LBI, there are a lot of things that you are not aware of, yet continue to state as fact. You can do better. Do a search on here for fecundity studies.
Several threads on that here. When you're up to speed and have done some real research, let's have a real adult discussion about it. :wave:

Please state your source for this statement. I have never read anything of the sort in any published fishery studies.
Nothing like old humans. At age 16 a female striped bass can produce well over 3 million eggs. At age 4-5 when they are mature they will only lay a couple hundred thousand.
I've never seen a study that says old striped bass eggs are infertile.
PS- old women don't continue to produce eggs at all after menopause, so your comparisons to human fertility have no basis in science.
Well.....then you really haven't read many fishery studies......:razz:
What you're stating as fact is a mis-conception.
Do a search on here for fecundity studies, as I suggested above. Feel free to post the data and links from those threads here so others can learn as well. I'm not gonna do your research for you....it's here, multiple threads........

I've been a bit busy lately....it amazes me the mis-information that is out there, and what some seasoned anglers believe as fact.....
So.....If I have a chance I'll try to come back in this thread and share some more.
:wave:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
LBI, there are a lot of things that you are not aware of, yet continue to state as fact. You can do better. Do a search on here for fecundity studies.
Several threads on that here. When you're up to speed and have done some real research, let's have a real adult discussion about it.

Well.....then you really haven't read many fishery studies......:razz:
What you're stating as fact is a mis-conception.
Do a search on here for fecundity studies, as I suggested above. Feel free to post the data and links from those threads here so others can learn as well. I'm not gonna do your research for you....it's here, multiple threads........

I've been a bit busy lately....it amazes me the mis-information that is out there, and what some seasoned anglers believe as fact.....
So.....If I have a chance I'll try to come back in this thread and share some more.
Wow! Jesus christ, I asked the man a simple question and you come at my neck. Sorry for trying to learn something I didn't know. Sorry professor, I'll try to 'do better'. I don't see where I made any type of claim about any type of fecundity facts anywhere?:huh: But then again I'll bow to your absolute knowledge and authority because I'm 'not up to speed' and certainly not a 'real adult'. You are displaying a very unbecoming demeanor, might even say arrogant :thumbsdown:
BTW please enlighten me to the "lots of things that you are not aware of, yet continue to state as fact. "

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
LBI, I dont mind explaining things to folks. We all have to learn. None of us can know it all. Every day I learn something new.
I am getting a little tired of people who are too lazy to do a search.
For the new guys, I will bend over backward to try to help, explain, and to share the things I have learned from personal experience.
I have given gear, helped people catch their first fish, and given countless suggestions to Dads and their sons on how to better target the fish they're after.....just a few days ago helping a grandfather and his granddaughters get into some fantastic bluefish action away from the crowds........

There is a difference.....with members like you......
You have a background in commercial fishing...
You fish out there more than most
You catch more fish than most regular fishermen do (at least you claim that in your posts) :rolleyes:

some of your recent posts look to have been lifted from a commercial fishing forum.
According to your most recent posts......you know a helluva lot......about anything that is fishing related.....

Me...I'm just a simple goog with a white bucket....:razz:
Who learns more every day.....the day I can't learn any more is the day for me to be in the pine box......

but you, with your recent posts in the last 72 hours, have implied by those posts that you are an expert in
1. fisheries management
2. MSY (maximum sustainable yield)
3. Striped bass migration and the health of the striped bass fishery......

ONE example.....(these are your own words, aren't they? Or are you just parroting the words of someone else?)
1. I see no mention made of how striped bass, for that matter all saltwater species, are managed with respect to the law.....

2. By law, all fisheries must be managed to MSY, which stands for “maximum sustainable yield,” which means, by law, fish must be used, or caught, or at least be managed in a way that is likely to lead to them being caught. .... There is no language in the law that allows for fish to be kept out of the equation, so to speak.

So.....it's only reasonable that with all the expertise you are claiming.....
That you be held to a a higher standard than most of us regular folk....who are just simple folk,,,,who want to learn........

Or....were the recent expert posts you put up....lifted from someone else?
And are you just the lackey who parrots the opinions of others?

It's hard for me to tell here....
But surely someone who represents himself as such an expert in the above categories....would at least have a slight understanding of fecundity studies, wouldn't he? :huh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts