BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few surf spinning outfits, but my favorite for throwing bomber / S.P. stylelures is my 9ft Tica and shimano stradic 5000, its my go to bucktailing rod also. Its not a big bucks rod and reel setup but it has put alot of fish on the beach.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Its not a big bucks rod and reel setup but it has put alot of fish on the beach.
Everyone is different, but I feel the same way, Joe....:wave:
The rod I usually use is an older style 9' Gloomis, paired with a Cabo. Enough backbone and sensitivity to bring the largest fish to the beach. I only bring out the 10.5' when the fish are traveling beyond the surf line.

For the jetties it's an 8' Tica MH with the Cabo or an older reliable Penn. If I fall and smash the rod to pieces I don't have to worry about eating soup and noodles for a month or missing a mortgage payment to buy a new rod. :cool:

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Just picked up an 11' Tica to handle the flatness, long distance unwadable troughs and other conditions I face down here. Rocks? what rocks? :D

Actually for the few rocks and pockets I find, will more likely be tossing a fly into the mix, but this Tica paired currently with a 704z will do the trick.

Got to decide to do with my reel situation, been thinking of the stradic 5000 for a while, but blew my fishing budget for the year already with a couple
or too many purchases... but I digress :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Rocks? what rocks? :D
I think us fishermen up north may soon be saying the same thing, Rob..:wave:..sorry for the thread hijack, it's a shame what the beach replenishments have done to the structure that once existed down there.....:(

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
9ft Tica 1-4oz, the only good plugging rod I own, with a Battle 4000, or 450ss or 710z

·
Registered
9 Posts
10.5' century slingshot with battle 5000, however I developed fishing (tennis) elbow last summer from flounder fishing and it never freakin healed so I think my 8' tica dolphin with battle 3000 is gonna get more work this spring. Hell, I might even try a baitcaster reel.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a few 5000 battles one on a Lami 9'6" I use it for heavier stuff metals, Bottles, the stradic 5000 is a much smaller framed reel, and a bit lighter.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
If bigger fish are around I use my 9' Tica tc2 which throw SPs well, but its too heavy for bombers. I have had a shimano spheros 6000 on the rod, but going to replace it with a Penn SSV 5000 this year. If I'm playing with schoolies in tight, I use my Tica 8' Dolphin with a 4000 spheros.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Rhino if I may I wont get a spinfisher there junk, a shop by me had 11 out of 19 of them brought back cause they broke in the first couple of weeks. I personally sat down with one of the best reel techs in jersey and took the reel apart there junk. I know you like your shimano spheros, have tou check out the new sw its pretty bad *** and will be "waterproof"

·
Registered
87 Posts
9' okuma solaris with penn sargus 6000. throws everything needed. My next setup im getting is a 10'6" tica dolphin or TFO with a van staal vm150 or quantum cabo.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rhino if I may I wont get a spinfisher there junk, a shop by me had 11 out of 19 of them brought back cause they broke in the first couple of weeks. I personally sat down with one of the best reel techs in jersey and took the reel apart there junk. I know you like your shimano spheros, have tou check out the new sw its pretty bad *** and will be "waterproof"
I agree about the spinfishers, a big miss for penn. There are better reels at thier price point to buy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
8' 6" St Croix Premier 1/2 - 2 oz with a Sargus 4000 and a Tica 9' with a 4000 Battle. Both are great plugging sticks and my go to rods when throwing plugs and bombers.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
8' 6" St Croix Premier 1/2 - 2 oz with a Sargus 4000 and a Tica 9' with a 4000 Battle. Both are great plugging sticks and my go to rods when throwing plugs and bombers.
I see alot guys who fish shorter sticks have great success in the waters I plug regularly. They by pass the open water for the most part and precision pitch thier lures tight to structure.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have that exact rod in 8' before they made it an 8'6" and 2 pc. I feel like its way too stiff for bombers on the regular. my buddy has the 2pc version and feels the same about his. its a great metal and popper rod but I just don't feel like it does bombers any justice.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
If it's smaller fish, I use a 9' Ron area with a 5000 sustain. If I think I need a little more, I use a 10' air wave with an 8000 stratic

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
spinfishers "junk"?
theres a lot of satisfied ssv users who would argue that statement....
I saw this and spent an hour reading a debate on the other site.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was using 9' custom lamiglas with vsb100b for several years but last years I change the set up to 11' XH air wave with Zeebaas 22rs
I think its perfect setup:) and caught lots striper last year.

jay

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I am mostly a bait surf fisherman but, every trip I take my plug-in rod to the beach. It's a Tica 8' Dolphin rated 1/2 to 2 oz with a Cabo 40 reel spooled with 20# PowerPro. As a senior citizen, I find that I last longer with the short rod. When I was younger, I favored a 9' rod for plugs and metal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts