BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help on what Jigging reel to buy:confused: ? Which reel do you guys like to use:confused: ? I'll be having JPR(Paul):) make me a rod for this purpose. Only problem is I have to know within the hour. Quick. Thanks for your responces. Haig

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Haig. always great talking to you..for what you are going to do, i think your "best" bet would be the saltiga 20 or maybe the 30..if you are thinking about more "offshore" stuff the saltiga 30T to the 50 would be great choices..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Jigging Reel

I think I would go with penn torque 300 for tuna jigging with 80lb color coded braid. I don't have one but I have been looking into buying this reel when some cash frees up.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have one, I like a lot and everyone tells me that it's going to blow up on a fish one day. I'll take that chance, as I can buy three or four Toriums for the price of one Torsa.

My Torium 20 feels like a lighter, smoother TLD 15, two of which I have seen explode (bluefin and tarpon).

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I would have to say spend the money and buy the accurate or buy yourself a nice bigger avet.. I think they are all sweet and great for jigging!!

I am taking KSons advise and buying the 665 i think for the new rod paul is promising me! lol

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Penn TRQ300's

Haig, I have a few Penn TRQ300's, they are great reels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I purchased a pair of accurate 870 two-speeds last year and we have caught yellowfin and bluefin to 100lbs. The reels are great! Very smooth and powerful.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I reckon it depends on what kind of fish you are jigging for.

Most of the bottomfish we get down here can get pretty big so several years ago, I bought two of the Penn Baja reels. They're ugly but built like a tank. I can put 27 pounds of drag on them and I have them spooled with 80 # FINS braided. They have just the right amount of gear ratio for the right amount of torque.

Both reels are mounted on Star Rods.

Catch-All

1 - 20 of 73 Posts