BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a preference for certain lures at certain times of the year. For instance, I use almost exclusively sassys and fin-s until May, then I start throwing small plugs in May, June I'm adding poppers and bucktails(big ones), I down size them in the summer a bit. September, I'm adding top water sliders like big mirrow lures/zargazers(spelling?), October the metal comes out too. November, the big Gibbs swimming plugs and Needle fish into December. Then downsizing into January.

interested in if any one else does the same or not?

·
Registered
394 Posts
like you i start off with pink fin-s. from there i go thru everything else, but always back to my bombers and fin-s by december. once the water gets cold i like throwing metal for bass too. i'm heading out in about 20 minutes with pink fin-s and small bombers
i've never had any real good success with needles.

oh yeah i've always loved fishing clam during the daylight!

·
Registered
394 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Basstard:
I would try something that looks like a big surf turkey!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by beachboy (edited 12-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by beachboy (edited 12-23-2002).]

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm a Bomber, and love the plugs, Never Never bait fish. No Bait just cause I would be drinking to much

------------------
FunBobby (Bob R.)
"REEL THERAPY"
Avalon NJ

·
Registered
296 Posts
Big,

My grandfather taught me how to fish from the surf/jetties.. He hated bait fishing.

I have tried the clam thing and the eel from the bridge with NO luck or alot of weeds. The day I actually learn the how to's of bait fishing, I'm sure I'll be hooked. Just a matter of finding the time to learn how.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
It's easy bob!

Get a cooler and fill it with beer get some bait and put it on the hook and chuck it out!

Then open up the cooler, get a beer and close the cooler and sit on it! Drink the beer!

When you're done that beer step on the can, open the cooler and throw it in and get another one. Check bait!

It couldn't get much simpler!

------------------
Captain Gutts Custom
Custom Rods & Rigs
Proud Sponsor Of TheBassBarn.com!
[email protected]

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'm with FB on this one.if dunking bait is the only game in town,then i'll spend my time tying flies,or making plugs for when i can catch fish on artificials.not knocking anybody that baitfishes.it's just not my cup of tea.messy bussiness that bait fishin'.

i usually start april and may with flies,or jigs.small,sparsely tied clousers,half-n-halfs,deceivers,or surf cadies usually get the nod early on.and smallish bucktails,and four inch fin-s.once the fish are active enough to hit plugs i'll throw small to medium size poppers,bottles,metal lipped swimmers,and needles in four to five inch lengths,and around an ounce,to an ounce and a half range.with top water plugs getting the nod at all times if the fish are willing.flies are just up scaled a bit in size,and length.the fall and winter months i use the same plugs as mentioned above but in larger sizes.usually six to eight inches long,and in the two to three ounce range.

guzz

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
guzz,

We all have our own preferences. For striped bass, I prefer fishing with bucktails. I will use eels, as they can be very effective at different times of the year. I took my boat out of the water a week and a half ago. My reason? The bucktail bite slowed considerably. They are catching fish off the beach on clams, but fishing clams isn't my style. We all have our preferences, and this is mine(for striped bass). Obviously, other forms of bait fishing are very enjoyable and fun, whether you are talking about fishing strip baits for fluke, chumming for bluefish, chunking for tuna, or as I said, eeling for striped bass.

------------------
Tight lines,
Adam

Fish hard! Release for tomorrow!
Adam Bomb Sport Fishing

·
Registered
394 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian E. Mullaney:
My favorite fishing is fly fishing but once the wind kips up I switch to jiggin bucktails and Fin-S. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

B,

have you ever fished with a salmon/steelhead rod? if you like fly fishing its the closest thing once that wind kicks up. ugly stick makes a nice 8'6 one that's a load of fun and pretty cheap.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Bump !

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Big Basstard,

Where the he** have you been? Glad to see you back on the board.

Give me a call.

Getting back to the topic....Fin-S all year, small plugs and bucktails during the summer, bombers in the fall.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Yeah,
I wanted to bump some subjects into the
Striped Bass Forum...
We Almost Went One Full Day Without any
Posts in there..
These threads are very good one's from 2002
and might kick start some activity....

Sorry for the Confusion....

Thanks,,,

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's really a match the hatch thing. Whatever they're feeding on at the time, you need to match it. My favorite is top water action, in the fall, with a "striper swiper".

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Mullaney,

Thanks...I thought he emerged from the shadows because I didn't read the date.

Oh well, it gave me incentive to call him. Spoke with the Little Mermaid for a while to catch up.

I hope to hear from Larry soon.

[ 07-23-2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: snichols ]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts