BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have flyfished fresh water for a few years but would like to try saltwater flyfishing.what do you recommend for a combo and what kind of line and flies.I will be fishing backwaters for stripers,blues,flounder,and weakies from a 20 ft boat.i would like to keep it resonable in price to see if i like it.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Only you know how "reasonable" you can be. If you have something for largemouth or muskie, use that. If not, I would look for 9 or 10wt, at least 9 ft long. Try to get saltwater reel. Unless you're familiar with sink tips (nymphing) and shooting heads, I'd stick with some type of WF floating. I just use Orvis flouro saltwater leaders, 7ft. Some guys use wire shocks, some don't. I like to throw big Deceivers. I'm pretty simple, though. Still looking for that clam fly.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Check out Temple Fork Rods. I have a 9wt and like it allot. Definitely will not break the bank. $99 and very well built for the price. I would spend some money on the reel. Don't go to cheap if you are using it in the salt. Check out the Teton Tioga reel ($165) Also, I would start out with an intermediate weight forward line (I WF).

The whole package will run you about $320 with backing and line. Saltwater Fly fishing is not a cheap prospect, you can easily spend a grand on an outfit. This is lower end stuff, but will work just fine.

Deciever are all you need.

[ 03-21-2005, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Makojoe0317 ]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Dittos on the Temple Fork & int. WF line. Deceivers & clousers & a popper or three. Try to find a decent reel on e-bay. If not a Plueger Medalist has probably caught more salt water fish than all others combined& will not break the bank. After you spend some time, if you like it, you'll know what you want. You can spend lots for a reel. Good luck. Ron

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ditto the above. You could get in under $200.00 for new stuff if you went with a Medalist (about 30.00 at Cabelas). With care it should last a few years. It's pretty much just a line holder anyway in the back bay. On ebay you can generally find good deals on reels - about half of new if you're patient. I've gotten several reels and spools like new of the ones I have standardized on. Any money you save could be put toward a rod with more backbone for fishing on those windy days. I have a TF rod and I like it. Learn and practice casting - that will make you happier than having the best equipment. Upgrade later.

Dave

Dave

[ 03-21-2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Splash ]

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS GUYS.I HAVE A 5WEIGHT ORVIS TRIDENT AND A 1 WEIGHT CUSTOM THAT I USE FOR TROUT SO I AM LOOKING FOR A 8-9 WEIGHT IF ANYONE HAS ONE THEY ARE SELLING-THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFORMATION

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Reelknot, I'd go with the temple fork, I have 4 that I have used on my guide boat. My customers that don't bring their own equipment love them and can't believe how inexpensive they are and the warranty behind them. Tenton Tioga reels get my vote too. Found they hold up real well and drags are very smooth. Freshwater stuff will work but the salt will eat them alive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts