BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picking up a few 50's for sharking.. don't want anything to heavy.. looking for justa roller tip and all other guides ref circles.. using mono.. don't want to go to crazy with custums cause that will be alot of money.. anyone have any input?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,368 Posts
I would get a Penn VS5010ARA60, International Rod, some people don't like Penn rods, I have about 20 of them including a few International rods, and have no problems with them. It will probably cost around $250.00. Not sure if that would be out of your price range, but well worth the price.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
buy cheap customs,,just ask me for them ..i HATE selling "cheap" rods..but if thats what people want..i can sell cheap parts just like everyone else.. just ask..:D :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,044 Posts
a buddy of mine recently purchased a few rods for striper trolling in the middle chesapeake bay. he paid 40$ for the rod.. haha yes i know cheap is the word.. we took the 20-40lb rod and it was one of the lightest ones ive ever felt... slick butt, aluminum reel seat, aluminum gimball elongated foregrip and all turbo guides... impressive rod for the price but how would it hold up? the hillbillies we are we put it to the $hit test, full drag on an old senator.. running through the yard.. picking up weight straight up with the rod.. i was soo impressed i ordered 2 for switching out on the star rods 30s for chunking. they make the rod in a 16-25, 20-40, 40-60, and 60-100lb all for 39.99.. barefoot rods from j and h. although the rod doesnt have a roller tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
How about the Penn Slammer series rods...There about $100 bucks.
I believe they use AFTCO guides also.
I would get a 50# to 100# rod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WaltJr said:
How about the Penn Slammer series rods...There about $100 bucks.
I believe they use AFTCO guides also.
I would get a 50# to 100# rod.
i think i need a little better then a slammer....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
You could kick a little a$$ for about $185. 732 892 8822. Sure its my stuff, if you go $100-150, the stuff wont last, $40-100, yeah, hang them above the fireplace, and tell your friends that you are a fisherman.
Cheap compionents dont cut it, someone will say they will, but, ONLY a fool would believe it. Do you know what Ultra Violet rod finish is? Does anyone here want to comment on it? If thats what you are getting, you got hosed! Paul. JPR, good news, someone just brought one of thiose "Plastic" reel seats in that are broken, yes they look like the reel thing, but the 90 lb skinny guy will not make it as an offensive lineman! You are right, you could use the cheap stuff,but you know better, why bother. I'll post a picture soon, what a joke!!!! 50's $250 used, $400+ new, why go cheap? Philly, good question. Kevin Bogan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fish Poison said:
You could kick a little a$$ for about $185. 732 892 8822. Sure its my stuff, if you go $100-150, the stuff wont last, $40-100, yeah, hang them above the fireplace, and tell your friends that you are a fisherman.
Cheap compionents dont cut it, someone will say they will, but, ONLY a fool would believe it. Do you know what Ultra Violet rod finish is? Does anyone here want to comment on it? If thats what you are getting, you got hosed! Paul. JPR, good news, someone just brought one of thiose "Plastic" reel seats in that are broken, yes they look like the reel thing, but the 90 lb skinny guy will not make it as an offensive lineman! You are right, you could use the cheap stuff,but you know better, why bother. I'll post a picture soon, what a joke!!!! 50's $250 used, $400+ new, why go cheap? Philly, good question. Kevin Bogan
what is ultra violet rod finish? not that i wanted cheep ust didn't need anything to flashy.. wanted just black rods and guides with a roller tip.. 50's vsw's are around 600.00 each.. just didn't want 1100.00 combo's

maybe 200-300 at most but would like to find quality rods as low as i can get them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
As a rod builder myself, I would definitely steer you to the customs mentinoed above, but if you don't go that route, I like the Boater's World rods. You can get a really nice rod exactly what you are looking for, for around $130. They are even a better deal as a combo. You get the rod for less than $50 and their Penn International prices are pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
phillyfishing said:
picking up a few 50's for sharking.. don't want anything to heavy.. looking for justa roller tip and all other guides ref circles.. using mono.. don't want to go to crazy with custums cause that will be alot of money.. anyone have any input?
I like either the Penn International Standup Rods 6" 50-100lb, the Star Aerial EX50100RS but I prefer a Star B30/80HC that is the one I would go for.



Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,925 Posts
Call Kevin Bogan.

I have a few and ordered a few more. Ive never met anyone with any of his rods that arent 100% completely satisfied. He will work with you and help design them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
Philly, you can have rods built from $250-335 that are killer sticks that have very HIGH end components. What I mentioned for $185, Go out and catch say, 50 Tuna on one, then come back and beat on the concrete with it all day, you can then go out and catch some more.. You could budget out at less that $900 per ourtfit. Ask any sponsor, JPR, Bullseye, and of course I build them. There are alot of tricky things that can be done to a rod to make it look good, but you wont know its less quality until you have it for a season. I repair rods as well as build them, you gotta see some of the things I unearth. You can bring down the cost without sacrificing quality, a rod builder knows what to do. If you are buying 4-6 rods, you are going to go btween $1,000-2000. Your reels cost a few thousand. Do your research, and I brought up Ultra Violet coatings purposely. The finish is applied like any rod finish. The rod is then passed through an 'Ultra Violet light box'. The ultra violet CURES the finish in approx 15-45 seconds. That means they dry the rod in less than a minute. IT LOOKS GREAT!!!! BUT! After the rod flexes a few times the finish will blister and peel, and the guides loosen under the windings. I didnt want to use the word junk, but thats what you have here. The majors have a different teqnique that is nearly as bad. Its called wrap coat/wrap coat. Same thing, a time saver that backfires on short order. I would have to visually show this to someone, but its easy to pick out when you know what to look for.. The Penn rods and many others use this, and I see a lot of them throughout the year for recoats, some unsalvagable.
The proper teqvique, 'Slow Cure' will last until you are a very old man, like myself, but hey, give them to your grandchildren! Kevin Bogan
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top