BASS BARN banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have been caught in a couple of storms..but one stands out in my mind. I think it may have been the same one that High Tide was talking about. We were on my father's 28ft pacemaker..somewhere between the outer wall and the cape may rips. We were fishing and I mentioned to my father that there was some nasty clouds out towards brown shoal way. We waved it off as a passing storm. It eventually got close and the wind started to pick up. It was blowing a good 15-20 with 3-4 footers..this wouldnt be for long. The wind picked up fast to well over 30..waves I guesstimate to be 6-8. We then procedded to haul a$$ back to Lewes. We got in safely..but drenched. Once we got the boat tied up..the rain got horizontal and the wind was over 50 mph! When we got home we watched on the local philly station that 3 people were lost and something like 20 boats were capsized. I'm just glad my mother was with us to help 'coax' my dad to get in!

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
GOOD FRIEND WAS ON HIS 21WA WITH HIS 2 KIDS AND FATHER HE SAW IT STARTED TO RUN FOR THE CANAL AND KNEW HE COULDN'T MAKE IT SO HE RAN THE BOAT UP ON THE BEACH A FEW MILES ABOVE THE CANAL.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Was on the Cyclops- in da Bay- bailing nice flatties at #16 with the Ancients- remember that guys? Lightning and thunder all around us. Scary stuff. Would the Capt go in??? Na! The fish were biting.

(I think I jumped a foot off the deck everytime that thunder crashed right over our heads)

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I think the Storm everybody was talking about was 1985 or so.. I was working on the "big Jim' out of cape may & never again saw anything like it.R&R

·
Registered
66 Posts
was taking my 31 bertram from boaters world to capemay when the big storm hit.......i have pictures of the twister that hit that day.....boats were up on the sod banks everywhere..some people died that day....i never got out of the maurice river.....was the worst i ever saw

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
My brother & I got caught in a nasty thunderstorm several years ago in my 18' bow rider. I couldn't beleive how fast it came across the bay and we were fishing the channel. That had to be one of the fastest and roughest rides I ever had.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I REMEMBER BACK ALMOST THIRTY YEARS AGO WHEN MY DAD AND ME WENT OUT NIGHT FISHING AT BRANDYWHINE LIGHT . OH THE NIGHT STARTED OUT NICE BUT THE WIND CAME UP SO FAST, THAT IT GOT REAL RUFF OUT THERE .WE WERE BOUNCING AROUND LIKE A SHIP IN A HURRICANE "I DON'T SWIM" I PULLED ANCHOR AND MY DAD DROVE AROUND TO INSIDE THE JETTY. TALK ABOUT BEING SCARED. BE OUT THERE AT NIGHT , AND SEE WHAT IT IS LIKE THE OLD BOAT JUST BOUNCE AROUND MY DAD HAD SINCE DIED AND THE MEMORIES ARE STILL HERE.WE WAITED TILL DAY BREAK AND CAME BACK IN TO REEDS BEACH..

·
Registered
233 Posts
some real horror stories,lessons should be learned,i have been caught in some thunderstorms but always on head boats and nothing like the ones here.EVERYONE be safe out there this season.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by LOST A ROD:
I REMEMBER BACK ALMOST THIRTY YEARS AGO WHEN MY DAD AND ME WENT OUT NIGHT FISHING AT BRANDYWHINE LIGHT . OH THE NIGHT STARTED OUT NICE BUT THE WIND CAME UP SO FAST, THAT IT GOT REAL RUFF OUT THERE .WE WERE BOUNCING AROUND LIKE A SHIP IN A HURRICANE "I DON'T SWIM" I PULLED ANCHOR AND MY DAD DROVE AROUND TO INSIDE THE JETTY. TALK ABOUT BEING SCARED. BE OUT THERE AT NIGHT , AND SEE WHAT IT IS LIKE THE OLD BOAT JUST BOUNCE AROUND MY DAD HAD SINCE DIED AND THE MEMORIES ARE STILL HERE.WE WAITED TILL DAY BREAK AND CAME BACK IN TO REEDS BEACH..
MY FATER DID THE SAME THING WITH A 40' POST COMMING BACK FROM FLORIDA IN 71. THEN RUSSELL POST SAID CHARLIE YOU SHOULD HAVE PUT THE TWO WOMAN ON THE FLOOR IN THE CABIN AND JUST GONE IN THE CANAL.I TEASEDMY FATHER WHO WAS VERY EXPERIENCED AND ALL HE SAID WAS YOU HAD TO BE THERE.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by ladymeg:
was taking my 31 bertram from boaters world to capemay when the big storm hit.......i have pictures of the twister that hit that day.....boats were up on the sod banks everywhere..some people died that day....i never got out of the maurice river.....was the worst i ever saw
IF THERE IS ANY WAY YOU COULD POST THOSE PICTURES THERE ARE A LOT OF BARNERS WHO WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM.IF YOU CAN'T SOMEONE WOULD HELP YOU.THANKS..

[ 03-17-2006, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
68 Posts
One Fathers day, I think in '97 I took my dad wreck fishing off Tuckerton (LE Inlet)wtih my buddy in my 20' Grady CC. The morning started out a thick fog. When it finally lifted we ran bout 6 mi. off and got grappled to the wreck. Dad was kicking our butts catching double header tog/sea bass to our shorts & bergalls. The sky was overcast, and the air was thick. I heard rumblings to the west and thought it was the gunning range back on shore. Then it came more frequently. I didn't like the vibe I was getting & the west sky turned increasingly gray.

We pulled the hook and pinned the 175 and unfortunately had to run toward the squall to head back to thru the inlet, across Tuckerton Bay and hopefully to the slip. Lightening broke loose and was slamming the land. We ran like hell as it started raining and blowing up white caps in the shallow bay. We made it to dock and decided to clean the fish in the rain - then lightening struck the power line that runs down 7 bridges road and heard the force/current whip thru the line near tne marina. We had enough and ran for the truck. The sky went black; the wind blew the reeds till they were bent-over 90 degrees. The shallow bay was 3-4' plus w/white caps everyhere. In 20 minutes it was over. Later I learned it blew 60kts. in Tuckerton. I can't imagine what I would have been like out in the ocean or trying to make that nasty inlet in that blow. We were happy campers we pulled the book when we did.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have been caught in a few blows and storms in my boat, but the worst storm I experienced was while jetty fishing. It was a blue bird day, so and friend and i headed down to the Convent Jetty to try for some Weakies. We were working the end of the jetty when i happened to look over toward the West. The sky was black with a thin white line between the sky and water. Neatest thing I ever saw - storm wise anyway. I didn't think much of it until I retied and looked up again and realized it was coming at us extremely fast. There was another older gentleman fishing out on the end with us. I recommended we head up toward the dunes. My friend and i had just made our way up when the storm front hit, the other guy remained. The winds hit first, blowing around 50 plus. We actually had to sit and lean into it. Then the wall of water smashed across the jetty. Then behind that was the rain, and lightning. It was a truely wicked experience. Once the wind and waves slacked off, only about a minute or so after the front of the strom hit, we realized the older guy was missing. We ran back down the jetty and pulled him up out of the rocks. He was banged up but not badly. We made it back up to the street and called it a day. I have never seen a strom move so quickly. I guess that is what's called 'front line winds'?

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Been in three real blows in small boats (under 40 feet) And am still alive by luck alone. Kissed the ground each time and said I would never do it again! I look at old charts and see all the wrecks and understand why. To go to sea is in our blood and someday blood is what we may have to pay. Your never more alive than fighting for your life on the sea. You want your family, friends, land, and mommy. Most of all mommy. Anyone who sayes they were never scared at sea has never been to sea. When your headed out of site of land to fight sea monsters, knowing that if mother nature decides you will be food for sea monsters you get the idea how small we all are. Boat improvements, radar, radio, and all other (aides) aside it is still you against the sea. I love the sea, it may kill me or you but it will draw many more as long as we want to see for ourselves what is over the horizon.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not sure of the year some time in the early 80's. Was in my 18 footer and one blew in. 8 foot seas just had the motor in clutch to stay head into it. Rode it out for about 2 hours till it died down. Was like a lake after that. One guy started chuming. LOL. Then the snapper blues came to the top and we had a ball. Went home with lots of fish and our live's. I did learn a lesson that day. Run for home when the skies start looking mean. Don't wait till the last min even if the bite is on. You can't fish when your 6 foot under in a pine box even if you have all the worms you ever wanted.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I wasn't in the d-bay, but on lakes bay had an uproaching front that had straight line winds that whiped off the bay and it looked like a wall of water about 50' high. Then just in front of the line a water spout formed. It was gonna pass well behind us though. It disapated and another formed about 50 yrds behind us. Anything in the boat that wasn't tied,screwed or bolted down, blew away. It ran up onto the marsh and disappeared, then the rain came. Painful, huge drops. I wasn't as afraid as I amazed. It was cool looking.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote from the Delaware Bay Fishing Guide, published 1991, page 74;
"The Delaware Bay is a very deceptive body of water. It can be as placid as a millpond one mimute, and turn into a raging hell of six to eight foot waves the next. Just ask anyone who was unlucky enough to be caught in the Memorial Day storm of 1989. Two confirmed dead, at least 20 boats swamped."

I beleive this is the storm referenced in this thread.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I was there on that Memorial Day in 1989. We were out around Browns when I saw the blackness coming. i turned on the Radar and it lit up like a drunk when you buy him a shot. anyway, I was on a 25 Parker with 6 guys. We ran as hard as we could for the canal and it was so bad that before we made the canal, we were surfing on 6-8's and hanging on. We got all 7 in the cabin and shut the door. Very interesting! Believe it or not, one guy actually fell asleep in the cabin on the way in.

·
Registered
346 Posts
About three years ago I was out with some friends in my fathers 20' grady dummin at the pin top, when a big one started to roll in, about the same time we hooked a huge drum and fought it for about 30 min until we got it to the boat. By this time the storm was up our A$$.. After starting the boat, I try the GPS and nothing! electronics are out, its very dark and the compass was at the house being worked on, so I get out my backup handheld GPS (thank god we had that) but the charts on the boat don't have GPS #s becuase they're so old... finally I called on the radio for the #s to the canal., plugged them in and got underway. BY this time the seas were a good 4-6 foot with lightening everywhere, and in that boat, it was not fun!! We're lucky to be alive..needless to say, we learned a lot about the bay, and common sense that night..

21 - 40 of 52 Posts