BASS BARN banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Not Del. Bay, but a friend told me this one - he and other guy were taking a Mako CC from one NJ inlet out the ocean, and up to another. Well, a Hurricane was passing way offshore, and the ocean only had big, but lazy rollers. By the time they were nearly 1/2 way up the coast, those lazy rollers were getting steeper all the time - so they kept running, but went further offshore to avoid breaking seas. The waves kept building - monster rollers,and starting to get to near breaking. Then, looking offshore, it looked as if the horizon wass lifting up, and turned all white - for miles. A monster rouge wave was breaking well offshore. They made it in to the next inlet, riding on the backs of these enormous rollers, and felt as stupid as they were. True story.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Not sure of the exact date, but it was around 7/5 or 7/6 in 1991 (a Sunday). I wasn't out in it, but had fished thurs, fri, sat and decided to sit sun out. A major one ripped up the bay and capsized several boats. Not sure about injuries or deaths. My dad was the mate on a partyboat at the time and didn't know whether I was out or not and had the captain looking for me.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Been in a few that gives you a wake up call.do not feel like getting into it to much.But If you are caught in something like the Bay kicking up a good 40knts that came up.With tide against wind or what ever.And you can not get the anchor up.With your boat or youself.Cut the F#$%king line.Boat capsized line caught prop people in water.could not even see boat flip with waves thought they left.But went down instead.Outcome fatal.coastguard tried best.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Aye..I remember that one, I came up the coast from cape may to hereford in my 20'. Like you said the rain was so hard that it was like being in a fog.

Never will forget the color of that sky though, it was actually green!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was in the memorial day storm also. I hope to never go through that again. If i remember corectly there were 2 storms that day. the first one was not as bad. we moved out of the fleet when it hit then moved back in . the 2nd one came up fast and we didn't get a chance to move out. may-day was all you heard on the radio and coppters in the air.we got behind an anchored tanker along with all the other boats. at least one person on each boat we could see was losing their lunch. very sad day on the water.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I'm not sure of the year I believe it was 1988 it may have been mentioned we were out in a drum fleet and you could see the dark clouds moveing in from the DE side, we were in a 21'Mako and there were alot of boats smaller then us that stayed it was about 2'4's and I told everyone to hang on I floored it and got on top of the waves about a mile from the canal it was raining so hard it hurt your face. We made it in without a problem, the storm hit that fleet and over 20 boats were capsized in about a 20minute period and then the storm passed, if I remember correct there was one person who died. we used to go over and use the lighthouse to break the wind and at times even go inside, but I know we made the right choice that time. If any of you guys were out there I'm sure you didn't forget it.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I confirmed it with my Dad it was the 1991 memorial day storm, I wasn't aware it was so famous. It's pretty bad when my 72 year old Dad's memory is so much better then mine, I guess it was all those drunken nights in Maloney's that had an effect on me. I still remember seeing those clouds and saying why aren't more boats heading in? The DE side boats were probably better not heading in, but we didn't have a problem getting in the CM canal. You do have to have alot of respect for how fast that can kick up out there. My cousin was out at night weakfishing in and 18'cc and capsized. luckily they had called distress on the radio and one of the big party boats came over, except my cousin threw them a line and it wrapped around the Party boats prop and shut them down, the Coast guard had to tow both boats in.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Mid 80's storm. we were running the Party Time's 1 and 2 down the river enroute to Cape May. Thankfully we were under the Walt Whitman or del.memorial bridge when it came though. I just remember Black skys, howling wind, and large water spouts. I was about 12 at the time. But still remember.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The worst storm I was caught in I think was on May 27 1988[not sure about the year] the weakfish tourney was going on out of the misspillion river and a freak storm came through and it was nasty, coast guard reported waves at 12 to 18 feet I think 3 boaters were killed that day.I was at the maul when it hit and I went for the ride of my life,trying to keep the boat right with quarter size hail bouncing off your head is rough, thank God after about two hours of rough water we made it back to bowers.
I was in the same storm. We were on The Captain's Lady, out of Bowers... I was certain we would die that afternoon. We got back to dock and there were people waiting to go out, oblivious to what just transpired out on the bay. I haven't been on a headboat since that day.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Many years ago, me and my Mom went on a day charter out of Fortescue. Had a storm line rush in on us and it whipped up the bay like I had never seen before. I was amazed how quickly the bay churned up the wave height. Once or twice we pitched and rolled and thought to myself, were going to go all the way over... was definitely the worst thing I ever experienced.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Crazy how fast those waves can build in the big D. Also crazy how fast the bay can flatten out.
No crazy bay stories for me. Few waterspouts, straight line winds/microbursts, but never seen actual 6'ers in the bay. Plenty of really tight 4'ers

41 - 52 of 52 Posts