BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Many people don't like Powerpro, but I use it and have not had problems with it.

I put 40-65lb test on everything so that I'm comfortable using the same setups for wreck fishing, and as thin as it all is, I don't really see a reason to go lighter.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many people don't like Powerpro, but I use it and have not had problems with it.

I put 40-65lb test on everything so that I'm comfortable using the same setups for wreck fishing, and as thin as it all is, I don't really see a reason to go lighter.

Joey, I used 50lb pp this year to land a big bass. I changed the spool from the 20lb to the 50lb on my way that morning and I was glad i did that. I would have lost him.

One thing is when I was on one trip on a deep water wreck the one guy told me that I would not get down fast enough with 50lb braid as opposed to 20lb braid. Is that really a concern in your opinion? The diameter seems negligible to me? :huh:. I guess it is the current of the water pushing on the diameter of the line?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the daiwa samurai braid, used to be a big power pro fan until I found it. It's thinner, smoother, and stronger. If you're hitting the reefs and wrecks, 20lb is too low. I'd use 40-50lb line.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Joey, I used 50lb pp this year to land a big bass. I changed the spool from the 20lb to the 50lb on my way that morning and I was glad i did that. I would have lost him.

One thing is when I was on one trip on a deep water wreck the one guy told me that I would not get down fast enough with 50lb braid as opposed to 20lb braid. Is that really a concern in your opinion? The diameter seems negligible to me? :huh:. I guess it is the current of the water pushing on the diameter of the line?
The wrecks I fish most often are in 65ft, 80ft, and 100ft of water. I almost always use 8oz with 65lb test, and I don't have a problem.

There have been times when I've had to use 10oz-12oz, but that is only when the current is really ripping.

I can believe that in a strong current that thinner braid would let me get down with 8oz, but for my peace of mind, some day over the rainbow when I hook a 10lb Tog, I don't want it to be on 30lb braid.

65lb braid with a 50lb mono shock leader and rigs tied out of 40lb mono. And the 40lb mono is something I occasionally second guess.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The wrecks I fish most often are in 65ft, 80ft, and 100ft of water. I almost always use 8oz with 65lb test, and I don't have a problem.

There have been times when I've had to use 10oz-12oz, but that is only when the current is really ripping.

I can believe that in a strong current that thinner braid would let me get down with 8oz, but for my peace of mind, some day over the rainbow when I hook a 10lb Tog, I don't want it to be on 30lb braid.

65lb braid with a 50lb mono shock leader and rigs tied out of 40lb mono. And the 40lb mono is something I occasionally second guess.
So in 10ft of water in the back you don't see any issue with the 50lb braid for flounder?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
So in 10ft of water in the back you don't see any issue with the 50lb braid for flounder?
It's over kill, but I catch flounder all summer long on the same avet/fish poison rod that I use in the bay and out on the reefs, with 65lb braid.

I can drift a killie/squid strip just fine with heavy braid. It's the same diameter as 20lb test.

I will say that when I am in the bay with a boat full of people, I will usually fish with my "spot rod" which is a $10 Dick's Eagle Claw, with a cheap spinner, spooled with 20lb braid.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If your exclusively fishing the back Jeff, the I would go with 14-20 lb test, you wanna fish also the bay and ocean, I believe you'd be fine with 30. Caught two 20lb stripers in the valley a week before Xmas on a pencil thin graphite rod, atlas reel, and 30 lb pp in 90 ft of water-deep rips! Everything held up just fine! I really like the sufix line as of recent. Who knows though:)

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
The real quirk here is that it's questionable that the same rod be used for fluke in the bay, fluke on the reefs, and then stripers, hopefully big ones.

I can't condemn that, because I do it myself, but if you're going to use one rod/reel for everything (again, a questionable decision) then you have to use line suitable for the biggest thing you hope to catch.

What do you want to reel your first 50lb Striper, or 10lb Tog in on?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Your title says reelSSS. What are we working with here?

RyanF

·
Registered
3,375 Posts

I like this set up, but I'll be using 50 lb PP (because I don't fish outside). How long is your shock leader?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
FireLine and thats FINAL. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I like this set up, but I'll be using 50 lb PP (because I don't fish outside). How long is your shock leader?
I put on a solid 20'-30' early in the year, knowing that all of my early fishing will be on wrecks. That lets me cut off a couple feet any time it gets frayed at all.

Once I move to fluking in the bay, I'll often cut the leader off entirely and fish with just the braid so I can hit the bottom with minimum weight. I do see a problem with 50lb mono in the bay.

I'm only using mono, not flouro, so wasting the leaders by switching from bay to wrecks during the summer isn't really that big of a waste.

If you're bay only, for fluke, I wouldn't even bother with a shock leader.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
fred from no bones has me hooked on fireline crystal.. i have 14lb test on my stradic and i fished that up in montauk for 4 days and caught prob 100 fish on it... to me its the best braid out there.. ties a better knot and isn't really slick.. you wont be sorry you picked it over pp

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I put on a solid 20'-30' early in the year, knowing that all of my early fishing will be on wrecks. That lets me cut off a couple feet any time it gets frayed at all.

Once I move to fluking in the bay, I'll often cut the leader off entirely and fish with just the braid so I can hit the bottom with minimum weight. I do see a problem with 50lb mono in the bay.

I'm only using mono, not flouro, so wasting the leaders by switching from bay to wrecks during the summer isn't really that big of a waste.

If you're bay only, for fluke, I wouldn't even bother with a shock leader.
Thanks, will do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.