BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a used radar and was wondering what is the minimum gage wire i need to hook it up? i have a spool of 18-3 shielded and tinned but dont know if it will work. looked for the manual and cant find the info. can anybody help?the unit is a Raytheon sl70 with a 24" dome

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
You should have a power cable that came with it, I think 14 gauge to be a minimum at least maybe even 12, what is the recommended inline fuse size?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
16 ga

6.3A is the fuse size
16 ga will carry 10 amps, especially if it's a short run to the fuse box/breaker panel. For long runs, heavier is always better as you won't need to worry about voltage drop.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
16 ga will carry 10 amps, especially if it's a short run to the fuse box/breaker panel. For long runs, heavier is always better as you won't need to worry about voltage drop.
thanks...so i would be under size with the 18? how many amps will the 18 ga handle?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
https://www.eol.ucar.edu/rtf/facilities/isff/LOCAL_access_only/Wire_Size.htm
i found this this morning. looks like i need 13 awg will handle 7.4
16 was only 3.7
and the 18 i have is only 2.3
I suspect the figures for "power transmission" have little to do with what you are trying to do. With respect to guage, wiring on a boat is generally just like house wiring. 14 guage carries 15 amps and 12 guage carries 20 amps and 10 guage carries 30 amps. If you run 12 between your fusebox and your radar monitor as some have suggested it's way overkill, unless your monitor is a looooooong distance away from your fuse box/battery.

I know that power cord on my 4kw raymarine radar is 16 guage.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have 14ga. Marine grade wire running from my fuse panel to to Raytheon R20X, which is an older green screen video machine with a 4kw dome and have no issues.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks all..................i got some 14-2 and completed the power install. cant do the dome yet. looks like there are things that will be in the way of the signal. like my GPS antenna and my anchor light. so i ordered a 10" rise mount and hopefully it will be here next weekend so i can complete this install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts