BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious to see what got everyone else chasing Stripers. Why do people get hooked in this fish like we all are?

I fished in NWW/CM my whole life. I worked the heaboats during the summer while in high school. I remember catching big fluke off the Christian Admiral in the Big Jim, loading up on weakies from the rowboats in the DE bay where they dump you on the train tracks and catch big blues from the bulkhead behind Moore's Inlet. And nothing compares to stripers.

12 years ago, my uncle took me out on the Lauren K on a striper trip charter. A horrible day, weather wise, we were stuck fishing right in front of Diamond Beach because of the NW winds. The guy next to me hooks and 25 minutes later put a 43 inch cow on the deck. That fish mesmorized me. I have seen the huge alligator blues that we caught back in 80s and 90s but that fish floored me.

I haven't stopped since. It is amazing what we will do to get a shot at these fish. No sleep, freezing in the rain and wind, stink like bunker, handle eels and if all goes well, you wind up wind burnt, sun burnt, and your hands look groundmeat for a week from unhooking stripers.

God, I love it....

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Theofish- I guess I got hooked the same way you did.....I was mesmorized. But luckily it was by a fish that I caught myself. I was fishing the mussel beds inside of Corsons- I was targeting weakfish. I had on a strip of mackerel on a weakfish rig.

I hooked into a big one. I was all by myself and it took me a while to get her to the boat. When I laid that 32incher on the deck of the boat- I was mesmerized by her beauty, her power, and her elusiveness(to me at that point in time).

Since then I have been hooked. I love fishing in general- but my favorite is the striper. I respect this fish more than any in the waters I fish. You think we put the striper on a pedestal around here? You bet we do!

Oh- and by the way- that first fish I caught had to go back to the water b/c the limit that year was 34". I measured it twice and released her to grown up. What a day!

[ 03-16-2005, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Partnership ]

·
Registered
267 Posts
The marina i'm in like most others back then closed on Oct 15. My oldest son kept telling me he like to try for Stripers sometime in the Bay. One fall I asked the marina if I could keep my boat in longer since the weather was nice. He said yes I could, move my boat up closer to the gas dock while he pulls docks out. So off we went Striper fishing. My son had a ball with these fish. Took me about 3 years before I got one on. Now all the marina stay open longer for these fish. How things change.
PJ

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Caught my very first cow....a 36" - 22lb post spawner.....with Dumbass on the Delaware River up in Trenton.

Been fishing for 'em ever since.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
I was about twelve years old, and my parents and I were having dinner at the Ocean View restaurant in Cape May. My dad had just bought me a brand new bait casting rod and reel set up. After dinner, my parents ordered dessert, but I told them I'd rather take my rod across the street and practice casting. I had tied on a mackerel pattern Bomber swimming plug. They said it was fine, so I went to the car, grabbed my rod, and headed across the street to the beach. There is a jetty there...Grant Street jetty, to be exact. I walked out to where the wash was heaviest, and started casting that Bomber. On about the third cast, I had a hard thud, and thought that I had hooked a bluefish! Right then, I saw the silvery flash and those stripes, which indicated that I had not hooked a toothy critter, but rather a striped bass! I quickly played the fish while running down the jetty to the sand, and brought the fish to shore. I lipped, unhooked her, estimated her length to be about thirty inches, ran into the water with my brand new sneakers and jeans, revived the fish, and let 'er go! Believe it or not, that was one of the most exciting moments in my fishing career, and a five minute fishing excursion I'll never forget.

You should have seen my mom's face when I got in the van dripping wet! :D

[ 03-16-2005, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: TheAdamBomb ]

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Fishing the wing dam above trenton on the Joisey side...we were drowning minnows for small mouths at nite from my aluminum with a 9.9 hp....I caught my first striper there and have been hooked ever since...We would catch them in 4' to 5' foot water...after we realized there were stripers there we stared using eels...the nite sounds are the best..the popping and splashing can't be beat...I still don't think allot of guys know there are big stripers that far up...until now!

[ 03-16-2005, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: freaky One ]

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adam...that's good stuff.

I was going to meet Capt. Ahab at his boat in Avalon years ago. We were going on one of our early striper excursions out front of SIC.

I beat him to the dock by 2 hours. So I tried jigging around the dock with a Banjo Minnow I got for Xmas. Needless to say, when old Ahab arrived my brand new Penn Graph rod with the 940 were in 2 pieces due to some cow I never laid eyes. Ahab was very supportive with laughing and pointing at the remnants of outfit saying "You knucklehead !!!!"

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I used to drive to the Delaware River in Yardley to fish for smallies back in the mid nineties & my friend mentioned that he caught some stripers at Scudders Falls so I decided to take a plug with me just in case. I watched him catch 3 stripers before I put my plug on & on my very first cast my plug was slapped about 5 ft. in the air. My heart was in my throat. I ended up catching 9 stripers that day.
And so it began.......

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
It wasn't even my fish that got me going! One afternoon my dads friend invited me to go fishing down at CS jetty...My dad couldn't make it till later...so he met us down there. We fished for a few hours on the jetty without catching anything but little blues. I saw my dad walking down the beach with something in his hand. He had caught a bass walking the beach..it was 32". I thought it was the coolest thing ever...I was 13yrs old.

The next year I caught my first and second stripers...The first off the WW Crest fishng pier on a mullet rig used for bluefish. 38"

The second (33") was caught on the Miss Cape May on a eel in the rips. That same day and guy next to me caught a 40lber...man what a nice fish...Really from there on...it's all I think about!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
My father got me into fishing at young age probably around 6 or 7. We would catch kingfish at Reeds Beach and blues on the Avalon side of TI. When I was about 12, he did alot of work in Wildwood and Cape May, and would drop my brother and I at the bulkhead in N Wildwood in the morning and pick us up in the afternoon. We would catch blues, spot, fluke, seabass and the occasional weakie. We eventually got a boat and fished the back bays behind Sea Isle and the Great Egg Bay and took a few trips into the Delaware Bay. We did very well on fluke and weakies in the late 70's and early 80's. I never even saw a striper caught until the late 80's. In December of 1999 my wife's boss if I would like to go striper fishing with him and a friend. We caught 11 stripers that day and I was hooked. I was not feeling well that morning and spent the week after it laid up with the flu but it was worth it to catch my first striper. The following summer we bought our own boat and I was really excited to be there when my wife landed her first striper.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
In the 90's After being coerced into joining my striper mentor to chase these from the beaches and watching him catch mostly, small ones at that, he got spooled at the barnegat inlet livelining a bluefish...This started my own quest.

seen a guy at the marina after coming in from flounder fishing unload 4 of them big mommas, said to self,

I want what he's got, and went my own path.

Later to find out the guy I seen lives around the block from me..

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
it started by filling a long time between when fishing stopped in mid octomber till around april 15th.now i even fish them sometimes in the back all summer.plus they taste good.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I quit drinking and needed a new buzzzzz. :eek:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I quit drinking and needed a new buzzzzz. :eek:

And now I have a nervous twitch in my right hand.

[ 03-16-2005, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: A Frayed Knot ]

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I had heard about Stripers, but never caught or even seen one. My marina closed in mid October. So I thought I would give it a try before I pulled the boat. It just so happend the the full moom was going to rise into sight about 7:30 pm and the incoming tide was going to start around 6:30. It was the middle of the week so I only bought two eels. Yes only two. One for me and one for my wife. We were drifting the inlet by Longport and letting the tide bring us around behind and towards Margate. Never doing this before, we really didn't know what to expect and it did get kind of chilly. My wife was a real trooper and didn't complian for quite some time. Then about the time the moom was high in the sky and the tide has been moving for about an hour and a half. She says I'm cold and sounded final. So I calmly reeled my line in an pulled the eel of, dropped it in the water. Went to get her line to do the same when ALL H#ll broke loose. I thought the rod was going to break and the line was peeling off the reel like nothing I have ever seen. In the dark, no lights except what was coming off the houses of Margate. Fought the fish for several minutes and had it up to the boat. My wife was going nuts, Oh MY God, Oh My God, what is it? About the time we could see it, one good head shake and the hook broke. AND We've been chasing them since.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I only became interested in them after joining the Barn and hearing all the fun stories about them. I never really targeted them, mainly because the head boats that we go on target seabass, blues, weakies and flounder. In all the years, I never seen one person on a head boat catch one, not even by accident.

Now that I have a better understanding of stripers from reading about them so much, I can't wait to catch my first slob. I feel like I've been fishing for them for years with all the knowledge I've gained from everyone (hopefully I can put it to good use). This will be the year.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It was 1987 I was 19 years old fishing for cat fish in the Deleware River. It was April got a nice spring day picked up some mackerel and casted a line in. Was using light takle maybe 10lb test and wham the reel starts screaming what seemed like an hour was probably 10 minutes pulled in my first Striper at 42". I have been hooked no obsessed ever since. I can remember it like yesterday!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts