BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been plugging for years, and have never caught anything! What am I doing wrong!

I seem to only do well with clams and fish-finding rigs. So I wonder if I should do this exclusively, or keep 'pluggin'.

What is the art to pluggin?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Good Advise Brian,,,,

The Slower The Better When Retrieving Your Lure...

One Other Point It's Always Good If You Find
Bait In the Area Your Are Fishing,Or A Spot
That Is Productive To Holding Bait At Times...
Like A Cut in a SandBar or the Inside Pocket
of A Jetty on the Beach.If Plugging A BackBay
In Front of Tidal Creeks is a very good spot to
try you lures...

Good Luck Keep With It...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dakota,

- Patience
- Match the hatch (size and shape)
- Color???, that debate will go on for ever, but generally dark by night, light by day.
- Slow, like Brian and 'Strikes say
- Low light or no light hours are my favorite.
- Add a teaser to spice things up on occasion

Of course there are exceptions to all, except maybe patience. :rolleyes:

Good luck, hope it helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am the occasional plugger and I have caught more by accident then on purpose.Let me explain, first fish on plug was in Cape Cod and when I cast in off a boat dock the line wrapped around a piling and the plug(a 5 inch white danny) just sat there while Iwas untangling the line for about 45 seconds as soon as I got the line off the piling WHAM! fish on. Just sitting still in the water no retrieve at all! I have done other things like that as well under bridges, in the Cape Cod canal I have seen fishers with poppers pop the plug and let it sit for a FULL minute before cranking just a few times.My point is that fishing slowly CANNOT be understated sitting still, no reeling at all. just throw it and only reel to keep the line taught and only strike on a felt strike and not on a heard strike-wait until you feel it and not see it.Bass are very lazy- dont be scared too use a HUGE plug ol bucket mouth can swoller anything!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Slow, Slow , Slow.
However, if working with current, work speed of current to make plug look natural. With waves off beach, kind of let plug kind of hang against current as wave passes. If throwing perpendicular to current, let plug swing and hang in current as it swings around against tide. Always works for me.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.