BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for general tips on what to bring on a 13 hour cod trip on the Big Jamaica this weekend and although I think I have decent idea, I want to be sure since cod fishing is a rarity for me. I've also got six other cod newbies going so I plan to disseminate the tips to the group.

In terms of tackle, I've tied up some hi-lo rigs on 50lb test and have 5/0 Matzuo bait hooks on the loops with orange and yellow skirts for flash. Is there some other configuration I should consider? What about metal for cod? Hammered diamond jigs work?

Anything else we should bring other than warm clothes?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

·
Administrator
17,848 Posts
Bring a lot of weight...you might need it depending on the current...as far as the rigs...lately on the J2 the mates have been telling people to get rid of the colors...they attract the Dogs...you might have to go plain Jane...:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fred when Tim and I went a while back we took some clam oil (squirted riht on jelly worm killed them when other were not catching), and used the red and pink twisty tails with a 14-16 oz diamond jig the hammered did well also slow and steady makes the day winding, a big cooler and zip locks also watch the capt if he fishes he sees the Pollock on the sounder and knows what depth there holding! Just a few things we learned good luck!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll have to try these. How much weight is typically used on a drop for a trip within 40 miles and I suspect in no greater than 200' of water? Six to 16?

I've got to inventory my rubber worm stock. You think the clam oil really made the difference, or could it have been more the shape and color?

Fred

·
Administrator
17,848 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll have to try these. How much weight is typically used on a drop for a trip within 40 miles and I suspect in no greater than 200' of water? Six to 16?

I've got to inventory my rubber worm stock. You think the clam oil really made the difference, or could it have been more the shape and color?

Fred
16 should be enough but you never know...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
If you can, bring up to 24 oz.

Also, if you have hammered diamond jigs, bring anything from 8 oz to 16 oz, and dress them up a little. Tie a dropper about 1.5 feet above the jig and put a 5/0 top 8/0 hook and bait it with a little plastic and piece of clam.

Good luck.

Peter

·
Registered
95 Posts
Fred, I went for cod fishing for the very first time, last week ( I did not catch any cod, caught ling & bergals ), but the old timers did catch. I observed, asked questions and I did I lot of homework online.

Here some tip that I have to offer:

* Braided line is a MUST.
* Weight size, this is a trick one, but the general concept is to
watch your line in the water, if you are scoping, then you need more weight.
* Bring fresh clam if you can, a lot of boats this time of the year they use salted clams, definitely if you have fresh clam, you have the advantage of the other anglers.

* ....... And my last tip, click the link below

http://www.fishingunited.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7292&start=0

Good luck

Jim

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bring some Ling rigs as well. Or tie some rigs with big fooks above the sinker and a small (2/0) on a 6-12 inch leader below the sinker so it lays in the mud.

From what I have been reading and observing there are a lot more Ling than Cod being caught.

7 ft MH rod will be fine paired with a 4/0 or equivalent with a mono topshot.

I have been on a bunch of NJ Cod trips and the jigs never really produce for me. If you can, besides the hammered bring a Viking Jg. 12 -17.5 oz.

And as Pete wrote, definitely bring a lot of lead. 24 oz is not uncommon. If the current is ripping you will need it and make sure those around yo are using enough as well or iit will be tangle city.

As far as teasers and glo sticks- I think it is all bling and doesn't do anything on bait rigs. Stinkiest/Nastiest part of the clam is best. The stomach with a piece of foot to keep it in place should do it.

Good luck out there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It is all gonna Vary depending on Conditions. I went out on the Jamaica 2 weekends ago and held all day on 6 ounces. Clam was the bait of choice as all we really got were Ling I did manage 2 short cod and the only other cod caught was a just leagal 22 incher. All were caught on clam.

Once I had about 20 Ling I Jigged the rest of the day only 1 hit on the jig and I missed it. The only luck I did have other then that was a Penn Rod and Reel that was dropped over by a guy about 8 ft away. I caught it about 20 minutes after he lost it.

As for the skirts as has already been said I was using green and pink with the green attracting a TON of doggies. I removed the skirts and the doggies went away DRAMATICALLY I think I got 2 doggies the rest of the time I was using the clam.......

Good Luck and hope the cod have moved in for you as they just were not there when we went out

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Bring a lot of weight...you might need it depending on the current...as far as the rigs...lately on the J2 the mates have been telling people to get rid of the colors...they attract the Dogs...you might have to go plain Jane...:D
I do a lot of jigging on Stellwagen Bank up in Mass.and your statement is true. Up there,the jig has just a single plain hook on it. No teasers,bucktail hair,flash, or any kind of bait attached to the hook. The Grub hook is placed approx a foot to a foot and a half above the jig and it is usually white or a cream color. It is just a plain old 6/0 or 7/0 hook with a grub hanging on it and nothing else,especially bait.

The minute you start dressing up your jigging presentation,you have invited the American Kennel Club to allow all the doggies to zero in on your jig. At times up on Stellwagen,that means that you are now in the position of bringing up one dog after the other in depths between 300 and 350 feet. After reeling in 2 or 3 doggies in that depth,you get the message to KISS-Keep it Simple Sonny. Good luck in your jigging efforts!:wave::wave::wave:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I do a lot of jigging on Stellwagen Bank up in Mass.and your statement is true. Up there,the jig has just a single plain hook on it. No teasers,bucktail hair,flash, or any kind of bait attached to the hook. The Grub hook is placed approx a foot to a foot and a half above the jig and it is usually white or a cream color. It is just a plain old 6/0 or 7/0 hook with a grub hanging on it and nothing else,especially bait.

The minute you start dressing up your jigging presentation,you have invited the American Kennel Club to allow all the doggies to zero in on your jig. At times up on Stellwagen,that means that you are now in the position of bringing up one dog after the other in depths between 300 and 350 feet. After reeling in 2 or 3 doggies in that depth,you get the message to KISS-Keep it Simple Sonny. Good luck in your jigging efforts!:wave::wave::wave:
X2 ^^^

No need for a hook on both ends of the jig. Single hook on the bottom of the jig. above that tie a dropper loop 16" or so above the jig. Put a small grub, Cod fly, or piece of bait on that dropper and you are good to go. If you get covered up by dogs loose the bait and the color.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for the replies - BIG help. Anyone know if fresh clams can be had in P/P this time of year?

·
Registered
40 Posts
anything to catch

What about jigs other than the diamond jigs? anything else been known to produce results (without going down there with a spear)???

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Dropping baits

One of the problems you can run into when dropping multiple baits on a cod rig in ripping current is having you rig getting twisted up on the way down. Think of it... heavy weight, chunk of clam, heavy leader... it can end up looking like you just knit a sweater by the time it gets in the zone.

If you feel like experimenting a little, open up the eye of your hook slightly and slip a swivel onto it, then close it back up with your pliers. This will let your bait spin freely and not kink up your dropper.

One more thing... when the Capt. is pulling up to the spot he is going to fish, be ready to be the first one to drop down. Not unusual for the first one down to come up with the pool fish ;)

Hope you hit them hard... :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts