BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flounder fishing was slow in some of the usual haunts early on. Most seemed to be between the maul and the point in June and kind of hung in there. My June was slow as opposed to recent years. Picked up in July though. Had more throwbacks than ever in the past.

Striper fishing was primo this Fall, best year I ever had, especially with Livetofish. Hooked in to some nice perch before the stripers arrived in earnest. Caught a big, I mean big catfish in Back Creek.

Most unusual fish was a strong cobia about 25". Strong fish, thought it was a striper at first. Caught early July.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Andy

I expect to limit out on every trip:D Hopefully the flounder fishing is better than last year and the fall striper run is as good or better as it was this fall. The fall run really saved the whole year I think.

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
I expect the weather to be great with temps in the mid 70's and wind less than 5 mph and if I catch anything that would be extra nice and gas to be less than $2 a gal:bow:

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Weathermen getting for casts wrong (NOAA)
Big fish being caught during the week while I'm at work
High winds on weekends
And sometime in January or February I will be so anxious to start all of that. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
976 Posts
After having a good striper season and using "fresh frozen"bunker around the Fortescue area,I hope to have some fresh this coming year.We had to do alot of running around to get bait.Hopefully the bunker will show up this year.Also if it's any indication,there should be even more legal size stripers.In all my years of D-Bay fishing,I have never caught as many "shorts".Some of the trips,we caught and released up to 70 fish,and still had our keepers too! 1 skunk but still plenty of shorts.Can't wait til spring!!!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'm with fdformicola, clear skies, light winds, and plenty of fish to be caught. Of course murffy's law might apply at any given moment.

Oh yeah, the wind at your back on the way in to the barn.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ill have to say i had a good fall. only got out two days though. was working in florida, but did fine those days. my dad did well without me. but i have to say flounder for us was fantastic. 2010 was really good and for us 2011 was even better. the thing is i learned a lot in 2010 and it served well in 2011. biggest being my dad wanted to fish "old haunts" but ive noticed a different pattern the last two years and it has paid off for us. we were able to find a good group of flatties starting around memorial day and literally followed them up the bay and back down the bay. our final flounder day was labor day weekend and found 7 keepers. i was happy with that. in 2010 we couldnt find one after august 7.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
as an example. one old haunt produced 10 keepers in 2009 on memorial weekend. since then we had 3 shorts there. i have know idea why but luckily weve found the fish somewhere else.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's....who really knows? I do think though that we might see more "odd" fish, like the Cobia, that seems to have gotten a little more numerous.

Wouldn't it be nice if the spring run of Weakies came back...............

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good stuff guys!

John, good buddy, you are the eternal optimist! :bow:
Fred, They are lofty wishes. :cheers:
Mako, those predictions are tough to live with. :eek:

Hang in there Brian, we'll get through winter. :thumbsup:

Sometimes fishing defies logic Eric. :huh:

Amen on the weakies Defender!! :yahooo:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Marina gas $5.15 gallon
Killie's $11.25 a quart
Fluke 2 at 19 inch or 8 total per boat.
Black Sea Bass, Weakfish and Tog seasons closed
Striper 2 Bass at 32 inches

No Beer or WAWA hoagies allowed on boats.

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
Marina gas $5.15 gallon
Killie's $11.25 a quart
Fluke 2 at 19 inch or 8 total per boat.
Black Sea Bass, Weakfish and Tog seasons closed
Striper 2 Bass at 32 inches

No Beer or WAWA hoagies allowed on boats.
after reading this I contemplating suicide;):naughty:

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Could be a very good year for crabs if many of them survive the winter in the mud. I know 2010 was unbelievable year for me in the Delaware bay for flounder but 2011 was not very good. I know in 2010 it was a very cool spring. I hope this spring will be cool so the water temps don't warm up too fast in the bay. Striper fishing will continue to be very good this year. If it continues to be a mild winter we might see the stripers early in the spring. I am talking about the big migratory bass. As far as the Delaware bay I believe it depends on the water currents and temperature as to what kind of year we will experience.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Struggled in the back bays last year with a smaller boat...lots flatties, but no keepers. Got out three times this fall on the big bay, and plan to enjoy it this year (on the right days) in my 16 CC...and put a few in the cooler. Hate to say this, but I'm already itching for a 17 or 18 footer. No big surprise...after owning 15 boats, I know the drill. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.