BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got 2 penn 940's..

what shoud i spool it with
(i dont care whether its pwer pro or mono)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont do a ton of flounder fishing, but i do striper fish a lot. dont u use mono as backing?

·
Banned
964 Posts
Definitely back 'em... but you only need to go about 2 or 3 "layers" deep... the backing only serves to prevent the braid from slipping on the spool.

I agree with the above, go 20lb on one, 30 on the other... Use the 20lb setup for plugging or bucktailing and the 30lb setup for general purpose.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I beg to differ...? use alot of mono backing save the PP for the fish ..that stuff aint cheap. dont waste P were youare not going to use it....mono mono mono.then Power Pro

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
It sounds like someone wants to sell you a lot of power pro. if you were to fill that reel witn #20 you would probably be able to fit a 1500 yard spool.

On the 940 put 50 yards of 30lb. mono and use an albright special to tie on 50 lb PP. You should fit 150 yards of #50 PP.

Unless you feel you are an absolute expert you shouldn't even think of less than 30# PP and the only advantage you could get with 30 is if you want to get extremely deep with very light weight. The 50 lb is so thin you will find it much easier to use.

·
Banned
964 Posts
:confused:

I have not, and never will be in the business..

I've just found it so much easier to go heavy (and lay out the cost up front) and spool deep with the stuff... You can strip the top 20-40 yards at the end of the season and start fresh for the next 3 or 4 seasons before worrying about re-spooling.. Besides, if you actually use the gear frequently, you do cut off a handful each trip.

I have a 310 I spooled up with 600yds of 30lb after backing.. haven't had to re-spool in 4 years and still have a TON of line on it.

Some of us would rather go overkill on the line and have more time for hunting in the winter than having to wind new line on upwards of 30+ reels/season.

To each his own. :cool:

Oh, here's the capacity of a 940, fwiw:
225/12
200/.035

[ 02-12-2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: ShoeB ]

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey ron. iv used braided line once on "jackos" boat and absoulty loved it. iv never used them super or braided lines before on my own stuff

thanks

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by FINZ UP 1289:
hey ron. iv used braided line once on "jackos" boat and absoulty loved it.
thanks
As you continue to use it I'm certain you will find it to be the "Way To Go" in most applications.

Just don't bring it on an offshore party boat trips ;)

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Now I went the other way, I had PP on everything except one, the tangles are really bad, it cuts off other lines if you have multi hookups, and until you get it wet again it really doen't cast that well, I have been trying different things and haven't settled on anyone thing, but for casting I really like the Trilene XL Smooth Casting, seems to have little memory and I had it wrapped around piling and still got the fish, and II'S A LOT CHEAPER. Good luck with whatever you try, fishpole

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
ShoeB, here's the trouble with a reel full of PP. At first ripping off some line works great. However you will get to a point where your spool is too low for efficient fishing and you will still have several hundred yards of brand new expensive PP. Now you have a choice of using this as backing, a waste of good power pro in my mind or doing some serious switching to put mono on the bottom.

Unless you are doing some serious tuna or billfishing you will never need more than about 100 yards of 30# line so as you wear down form a season or two of fishing and you get to where you see the backing occasionally on a super long cast or fighting a big fish, all you have to do is strip off the Pp and put on 150 yards of new and you are ready to go.

Remember all reels casting or spinning work much better when the spool is filled close to the lip.

I didn't really think you were selling PP. I just don't see the need for waste.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have heard some good things about yozuri hybrid line, and alot of profesionals seem to be switching to it as well. I never used it but I'm thinking about giving it a try. It's relatively inexpensive considering it's coated with flourocarbon. Has anyone used this line I'm looking for some first hand feedback

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
CraigF,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard.........

I remember recieving the Line your talking
about when it first came out,it was a Free
sample of 10lb test line. I did try it
and Found When Tying Knots it would Break
rather easy....But that might of been
just me,I am use to tying with Braid.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nightstrkers - I appreciate the feedback. I use braided line most of the time as well, but I've had beeter luck with the mono when fishing the back bays for flounder and striper. I always used Berkley Trilene mono and never had a problem, maybe I should leave well enogh alone. Thank you for the welcome, It's good to be a member.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Craigf

I also had heard good things about the Yozuri hybrid line and bought a spool of 15lb last year. When I loaded it on my Shimano 4000 spinning reel it has so much memory I couldn't get it to stay on the reel. It just kept uncoiling. Stripped it off and went back to the power pro. I'm going to give the hybrid another shot on a conventional reel this year. Maybe it will stay put better there. Hard to beat power pro on spinning gear!

Tight Lines

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello All,
Last Sat. I was fishing down in the Patapsco River in Baltimore. I was using a "new" rod and reel and was also equipted with Stren's Super Braid.

I snagged on structure and as we have all done at one point in our fishing lives, had to break my line to retie a new lure...

I tightened up my line, figuring on a straight pull for a "snap". I applied pressure on the 14# line then applied more pressure. Lo and behold, the BA hook straightened out and the line never broke!!!

I know I put more than 14# of stress on the line. Still caught more fish on this line...

I am a firm beliver in Fire line. this Stren Super Braid impressed me with the ease it cast, and the strength it showed as I tried to break it.

14# SB has the diameter of 4# mono. Falls off your reel, and doesn't make "noise" as it passes through your guides as you retrieve it with a fish on.

I suggest you give it a look.

Just one mans thoughts...
I'll know more after C&R on the Susky Flat's this year...

Bruce

·
Registered
189 Posts
PS to my post above...

Kinks were easy to work with and knots held up unlike Fire Line...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Finz up,
If you do alot of flounder fishing, Dont fill your entire spool with PP or fireline. Those lines pack on the spool poorly, and will bind into itself on the spool if not spooled with a lot of pressure to begin with. I fill my spools almost half way with mono, then add a 100-150 yard spool of Fireline or Power Pro. I have 12 rods to re-spool every other year, and I find that this works the best and is less costly.

150 yards is more than enough for flounder fishing in the bay. I use the same set ups out on the AC reef in 60-70 feet of water for flounder and sea bass and never get into the mono.

Also, at the terminal end of the power pro or fireline, I tie in a few feet of 20 Lb mono with a uni-knot to uni knot splice that I then attach to a small (20lb) ball bearing swivel. I attach the swivel to bottom rigs. If using bucktails, pinkies, plugs etc, I cut the swivel off and tie the mono to the lure.

I find that the mono is much easier to tie a good knot with while on the water than the super braids are.

·
Registered
840 Posts
P.S.

I am not really a "new member" but was "Fillet1" here before. I lost my password, and could not get a response from the powers that be, so I re-registered. (Of course i needed a new e-mail address to do so.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts