BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have always had great success with gold style Kahle hooks in the 4/0 range. I snell the hooks with Fluro Carbon in various lengths. You Probably don't need the Fluro Carbon line but that is just my preference. I hold the fishing rod versus dead-sticking so gut hooked fish are very rare for me. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I have gotten away from kale style hooks as they can bend on big fluke and with the hold finish they are weaker due to the anodized finish. I like Gamakatsa 5/0/or 4/0 octopus hooks.fluorocarbon isnot need for flounder fishing just wasting money

Reactions: NEED2FISH

·
Registered
62,423 Posts
Gamakatsu 4/0 or 5/0 Shiner hook. It's a beautiful thing.

Sooooooooooo much stronger than the usual gold hooks.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Gamakatsu 4/0 or 5/0 Shiner hook. It's a beautiful thing.

Sooooooooooo much stronger than the usual gold hooks.

Wow I had no idea these even existed thanks for posting I'm going to have to try those out. Those gold hooks suck I gave up on them years ago.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I have gotten away from kale style hooks as they can bend on big fluke and with the hold finish they are weaker due to the anodized finish. I like Gamakatsa 5/0/or 4/0 octopus hooks.fluorocarbon isnot need for flounder fishing just wasting money
X2 on Slammers post. I have been using these hooks for the last 7-8 years with very good success, especially on bigger profile rigs.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I use 5/0 octopus hooks. There was actually a study done using different hook sizes for fluke. The study was designed to explore which hooks caught well and helped to minimize the catch of undersized fluke. 5/0 was found to be that size. When you fish with smaller hooks you get more gut hooked fish and more undersized fish. When you get up to 7/0 you start reducing your catch of keeper size fish.

I used to use 4/0 Kahle hooks. They are thought to cause less gut hooking then traditional hooks. I have gotten away from using them because if we do deep hook a fluke, they are harder to safely remove from the fish. With a 5/0 octopus hook I can slip a finger in the gill arch and quickly dislodge the hook without causing undo damage to the fish.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Used to use 3/0 Kahle in he 80's. In the 90's I went to 4/0 Kahle as size limits increased. As they increased more I switched to 5/0 Octopus about 15 yrs ago and now and still use 5/0 octopus today. For jig rig teaser I typically use a 4 or 5" gulp on I use a 5/0 gammi baitholder. If I use 3" gulp i'll drop it down to a 4/0 baitholder.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like 5/0 gami or mustad baitholders, especially if I'm using gulp. The turned down eye snells nicely and gives me a straight presentation thru a dropper loop and the little barbs help with keeping the gulp from sliding down and bunching up. Bait fishing i will use either them or the octopus's depends on what I have laying around at the time. I tie all my rigs while on the boat depending on what is working at the time.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I use 5/0 octopus hooks. There was actually a study done using different hook sizes for fluke. The study was designed to explore which hooks caught well and helped to minimize the catch of undersized fluke. 5/0 was found to be that size. When you fish with smaller hooks you get more gut hooked fish and more undersized fish. When you get up to 7/0 you start reducing your catch of keeper size fish.

I used to use 4/0 Kahle hooks. They are thought to cause less gut hooking then traditional hooks. I have gotten away from using them because if we do deep hook a fluke, they are harder to safely remove from the fish. With a 5/0 octopus hook I can slip a finger in the gill arch and quickly dislodge the hook without causing undo damage to the fish.
Have you ever been tempted to crush the barbs down for easier removal?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Squidder......good question..For sure crushing the barbs would make it easier to remove the hooks. The reasons I don't are that the barbs help to hold the bait on. Also the barbs help to keep the fish on if guys don't keep constant tension on the fish. But for easier release, your concept is a good one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.