BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, for anyone that didnt read my first post, I am from the east coast of Canada. I started fishing for stripers last year and have had great success with fish from 15-22 inches, but caught only one keeper (29 inches, minimum length is 27 inches here). I fish in the bay of fundy with the largest tides in the world. The areas i fish have a fairly gradual grade, and are sandy with a few rocks. From your experience what types of structure and ground composition provide the best striper hunting grounds (for the big uns
). Hopefully I can modify my technique to hit big fish on a more regular basis this year!

Thanks for any input

Chris

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
WHY NOT TRY WHEN WATER TEMP GETS TO 44 WEATHER ITS MIDDLE OR LATE SPRING UNTIL THE WEATHER DROPS THE WATER TEMP BACK UNDER.DO YOU HAVE ANY TIME OF THE YEAR WHERE YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO FISH FOR THEM.STRUCTURE IS GOOD IN ANY FORM.WHAT BAIT DO YOU USE TO CATCH THEM,OR WHAT DO YOU USE??

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
In New Jersey, you will find a lot of sandy bottom. There are lots of cuts and runs all throughout the NJ surf that hold fish. Additionally, good areas to focus your fishing intensity are around jetties, bridges, and sod banks. You can use a wide variety of bait and lures to take stripers from these different locations.

Best of luck in your 2004 season!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas. There arent any closed seasons for saltwater where i fish for them; I havent checked freshwater regulations since i mainly fish the salt. Ill have to see if i can find somewhere that provides temperature readings for the bay of fundy. People here use a lot of different methods. Big rapalas, topwater, bucktails, bloodworms, live mackerel.....etc. I have my own technique; I take a set of mackerel feathers (usually 3 hooks), cut off the feathers, and attach a 2-4 oz weight to the bottom. I use either squid, or mackerel for bait. We have actually caught two fish on one cast this way! (small ones of course). I am going to try live crab a couple times and see how it works. Out of the many times we went striper fishing last year we only landed one keeper (29 inches). Ill post a pic as soon as I find that thread that has the web page where you can post pics again. If any of you are in nova scotia let me know, i would be glad to show you my hunting grounds! On the same note i would love it if myself and a couple friends of mine could join up with a few of you sometime this summer. I would love to go on a charter but my poor student budget probably wont allow it so more than likely it will be fishing from the beach (ill do my best to save up after looking at some of the pics on the charter pages!) If anyone reading this post knows the name of a page that will post pics for you let me know so i can get that pic up!

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, i had one more question.......what is chunking? similar to chumming with larger pieces of chum?

chris

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Chris:

Try www.snapfish.com. I use it and it is excellent. Also, check your mail.

Chunking is a process of anchoring up, throwing lots of diced bunker/guts/blood, bunker oil and a bunker head or chunk on a 8/0-10/0 hook.

~Jim

[ 04-03-2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: phillyfisherman ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.