BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 Scout had a 24 series starting battery in it. It's dead this season. The boat only has one battery and all I run is a depth finder. Should I be looking for a dual porpose battery. The Dekka starting battery I think should have lasted longer then two seasons. Maybe the draw killed it.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Battery

I had a Deka that only lasted one season too. I think you need a dual purpose since you are using it to start and run the depth finder, that's what I went with. I bought one on sale at West Marine for $60. Good luck!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Should last longer

drifter3 said:
My 06 Scout had a 24 series starting battery in it. It's dead this season. The boat only has one battery and all I run is a depth finder. Should I be looking for a dual porpose battery. The Dekka starting battery I think should have lasted longer then two seasons. Maybe the draw killed it.
Did you do a load test? We sell and use Deka's and have never had a problem. If you can stop by here or any Deka dealer they can take care of you on a 2 year old battery.

Do you have the 24m7 or 24m6 (one is black the other is white).

If you want to give a call 856-447-3992. I pulled one out of a boat last year that was 10n yrs. old and still starting.

Mike

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Did you put a meter on it to see if it is charging when the motor is running and check for dirty connections. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Just replaced one of mine after six years,and the other is still looking good.Got a new Deka 24 M7 for 70 dollars.1000 mca starting battery

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to charge this battery last fall because it was dead. I left my new 80 dollar Vector charger connected to it all winter and hit it twice. The Vector charger gave a code this spring that indicated the battery was too low to charge. I'm thinking that since I only do short hops in my 06 175 Scout that it may not be running long enough to top the battery off. This boat hardly ever runs for longer then a half hour at a time. Then I'm shutting her down and drifting running back for another drift and shutting her down again. I never had a battery die in my Grady in just two yrs.. But I was running to the reefs and out for tuna in the grady and she was running for hours at a time. The Scout runs for a half hour at a time. I just bought an Interstate. It was recommended by the dealer where I purchased the boat to buy the starting battery because they said it charges faster then a dual purpose battery. Is this true? It kind of makes sense. I only run a depth finder/fish finder it's a Raymarine DS500X. Since it's a back bay and near shore boat I don't feel the need for a VHF. I can just use my cell. If I ever install a stereo then maybe I'll think about installing another battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts