BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me what type of fish this is? It was caught about a mile off the Wildwood Crest beach this weekend.

Thanks,
Bill
Picture of Fish

[ 09-07-2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Bill Young ]

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Some type of Jack. We caught a couple of them last year at the five fathom bank. There were about 20 just drifting under our boat.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Rudderfish ??

Did you notice any type of vertical bands or stripes ?

We had alot of fun with those guys one summer
inside the inlets at night.. Fast , those suckers
would hit then take off like a bat of hell...

[ 09-07-2005, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
990 Posts
That looks very much like a yellow tail that you catch down south. I go to alabama in the winter to go fishing and we use them for grouper bait. Neat that you caught one here they may follow the trigger fish up with the warm water. They are good eating also.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I caught a few of those in August off of a fishing pier in Seaside. I was told they were Jacks. They were schooled in with the Banded Rudderfish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its hard to see in the pic but it has a strip from about mid back down through its eye.

I think it might be an Amberjack???

There were fun to catch for little fish. They would slam the spoon and run. I was using very light tackle.

·
Registered
32,485 Posts
I can tell you with 100% accuracy that they are banded rudderfish. I went through this same thing last year. I thought they may be small amberjack but the research revealed that they were banded rudderfish. You can't see them in this picture, but in a certain light they will have dull bars down the sides (kind of like a lit up bonito). The white tips on the end of the tail are another dead give away.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Is anybody thinking what I'm thinking?

Maybe Basscharger can do a little checking for us Steve!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Those damm things were so addicting.. I still think about them circleing around those IceBreakers making me dizzy... :eek:

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by YoungGun24:
I spent 3 straight nights fishing for them to catch one. Have you fished there lately Steve?
Matt,
No. We were down that way the other night but took the skunk in the yak-in the back..
Might be worth checking out though if your
in the area...I believe it was during a In-Coming ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know what they are called, but on occasion when things are slow elsewhere, I head out to the range bouy and break out the ultra light. Cast a shad dart up against the red monster, wait a second or two and retrieve (an ultra small piece of squid never hurts). There is an entire school of those suckers using the bouy as structure. Once you hook into one, there seems like there are 30-40 others trying to get in on the action, straying from the confines of the bouy structure. Although I've caught plenty that could have been filleted, I live line them for Mahi-Mahi, Blues and Stripers. Its like feeding candy to a child.

I also strip them. They are one of the best fluke/seabass baits you can possible use. I've returned to the barnegat reef (going to the range bouy after not doing anything on the "Fish Haven") and returning with the strip baits I have oftentimes been the only one apparently catching fish.

·
Registered
980 Posts
we had 1 off of wildwood last sunday when we were fishing for croakers

·
Registered
614 Posts
It's a Lesser Amberjack! Banded Rudderfish only have bands on the young ones! Fluke love em! Out fished Minnows & Sea Robin belly the other day! They are on all the bouys, in the inlet. Even had them on the no wake bouys in the bay, fun...

·
Registered
32,485 Posts
Lesser amberjack looks similar but has a deeper body and no white tips on tail. The other fact that rules out lesser amberjack is as follows:

Where found: NEASHORE and OFFSHORE, apparently living deeper than other Seriola (commonly 180 - 410 feet deep).

·
Registered
139 Posts
My guess is a baby greater amberjack. These are more common in the south and grow up to be a nice fish that fight much like a tuna. Florida, has a limit of 5, hopefully there's some protection for it in the mid-atlantic as it would be a shame to see too many cut up for bait. Here's a pic of an Amberjack we caught this year

The NJ record, caught in 93 was 85lbs! It would be great to see more of these in our waters.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts