BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reading the 50# striper thread, and I'm not going to voice my opinion on that subject but something came to mind as I was reading each posters opinion.

Judging by the different responses to that subject I was just wondering what type of fishing did you first start out doing. I have a feeling, and don't kill me for it, it's just a feeling, that many of the guys who would admire and than return the 50 may also have started or still be freshwater fly fisherman also.

In my case it started out as spinning for trout and then I jumped to the fly rod for trout and now find myself fishing 98% salt. And I don't really care what we target, I just love being out in a boat with some great friends, sucking down a few suds and waiting for the clicker to sing. I guess for me it was just a natural progression.

What started you guys out?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Started out freshwater, catfish and bluegills. Then moved up to bass, trout, and pickeral then moved over to saltwater. The more I caught the larger the fish I wanted to catch, not so much in number of fish but catch big fish. I haven't read the 50# striper thread, my biggest striper to date is 48" 35#. However, if I catch a 50 pounder or larger striper I'm keeping it.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
sweetwater....sunfish, crappie, bass, trout. lived in central PA kinda landlocked for a good portion of the year. Only got to fish the salt a few times a year until I moved to NJ back in 99. Now mostly saltwater, targeting inshore fisheries, flounder, drum and striper, oh yeah bluefish too when we cross paths. Never got into fly fishing or really got excited about put and take trout fisheries, LM Bass was and still is one of my favorite FW fishes, not for eating or keeping just like catching em and leting em go.
:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Carp, catties and sunnies in a little lake fishing with my Dad. I too will keep a 50#, just my first.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Started out saltwater, moved to fresh, then back to salt. :)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
started out in fresh

started out in fresh water but when at the jersey shore caught snappers.when I got my drivers license and a car went in the suds and jetties ,deal asbury park ,sandy hook ,long branch pier, and pt. pleasant. rented skiffs in the rivers and fished for fluke . bought my first boat when 23 yr. old. lakes and sandy hook. later when stripers were down fished lake ontario for about 15 years. now in a bigger boat with no trailer so I am local in raritan bay area .still fish fresh water for trout and shad in the del. river . when running price of gas puts a damper on the travel . to upstate waters.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Dad had me in the boat before I can remember. Back in the city me and my friends would sneak down to the river to fish. It was so poluted then that we could only catch eels. Water constantly had a coating of oil on it. Couldn't walk on the rocks because you would slide right off from the film on them.

Every day from about ten years old I fished for carp. Made all my cornmeal and fished the hatcherys in N.E. Philly. Fishing for carp helped in a long way to give me patience at fishing. Never learned to swim because when we were on picnics I always had a fishing rod. While everyone else was swimming I would sneak over to a quiet side of the lake and fish all day.

Amazing how it gets in your blood. Couldn't get enough of it fifty years ago and it's still the same today.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hook and bobber fishing with worms in a local farm pond. Allways threw everything back until I caught something I'd never seen before and had to bring it home for further investigation. I remember my father freaking when he got home from work when he found me with a two foot long pike in a five gallon metal bucket. Was taught a lesson that day about releasing what your not going to eat the hard way.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Started off with a cane pole at Newman Grist Mill, or whatever it is, in Delco catchin trout. But most of my early experiences on the water was crabbing and not fishing. We used to rent a house for a week each summer when I was a wee little lad and my brother and I would crab on the back dock sunup to sundown every single day.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Banks of a river with my trusty Zebco and some earthworms dug up in the yard. White Perch, catfish and the occassional carp.
The next step was Dad taking me out on the bay trout fishing with peelers on top/bottom rigs.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
i started out fishin on the mullica river with my dad and uncle dave.man oh man this just bought back a lot of memories. i can still smell the low tide in the morning and feel the sleepless night before we would go. i can hear my dad and uncle dave telling me to stop pokin the fishes eyes:D . that type of feeling has long left me but i will always remember how it felt.thanks uncle dave r.i.p! bud ,matt

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
:) my first fishing was on Million Dollar Pier AC back in the early 50's with hand line with my father haven't let up since then went back & forth from fresh to salt use to fish League Island a lot for carp bass & cats now mostly Ocean & Bay:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
My Dad started me fishing when I first was able to walk. We started in the fresh water streams of Delco doing the trout thing. Then around 6 we started going on the Kingfisher IV in Fortescue for weaks and fluke.

When I was old enough I spent almost every day of the summer in FDR park in South Philly fishing for carp, cats and sunnies. My Dad was a cop down there so he kept an eye on me, I rode my bike down from the house. I then turned my best buddy, Lambo the Freako, onto fishing with me at FDR park and we still fish today, 30 years later.

I continued fishing with my Dad on party boats at Fortescue until puberty when I gave it up because I kept getting sea sick. Then I went into the USMC and didn't do much fishing. In 1993 I picked up right where I left off and have been fishing both the river, tribs and Del Bay ever since.

I now own my own boat and fish both the ocean and bays whenever possible.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My first fishing experience that I can remember is trying to catch something in the Cooper River in Pennsauken back around 1970 when I was 8. I'm sure there were no fish back then but I'm glad I didn't know any better.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
My dad started me out freshwater fishing for Bass and Chain Pickeral. But I watched my father and grandfather come home with loads of Bass, Drum and Weakies and couldn't wait to get out there.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Malvern Prep. pond, back in the early 60's. I caught about 50 sunfish in about 5 hrs. I was hooked.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I started out with dad at a trout lake and we NEVER caught anything. As I got older I started river fishing in the Delaware river with friend's. I lived and still do a few blocks from the ramp in Florence, so we would fish every high tide growing up. We caught a lot of catfish and stripers before we even knew what they were.

Moved to salt when I started driving because a friend had a boat. He would't leave the bay but we caught a lot of fish in that little boat. I've been hooked on saltwater fishing ever since.

But the be all to end all was a night Blue fishing trip on a headboat that my work charted when I was 17. Hooking those "big" blues was the end for me. I still love catching bluefish.

Don C

1 - 20 of 54 Posts