BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you like and where can I find them? Getting rigged up for the summer and want to be ready for those lobster pots.

Eric

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I hear simple clousers work just fine.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
I find they hit about anything. I have caught many of them offshore. I would just take any old fly with any color and they would wack it. They have pretty good teeth and you will lose some flies, but they are a blast. I call them poormans marlin, they will jump all over. They have hit both small and big flies.

Catch most at the Northeast Canyons around pot markers or sometimes a whole school will come up behind the boat. You can keep them around the boat by tossing out small pieces of bait or chunk to get them excited. Also a good idea to keep one behind the boat untill next one is hooked up. This seems not to spook the school.

Good luck, hope you get them.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
When they're all horned up anything that hits the water will work...as soon as it hits the water to...sometimes you cant strip it in fast enought for them, thats fun too. Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!! i could not buy a dolphin on the fly i have had them all around the boat but they had lock jaw. was using a popper then deciever then clouser to no avail.hopefully this summer will be it. have been asking the big guy upstairs for about 5 yrs now to throw one my way.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
flies only, try throwing small chunks of bait in the water or frozen spearing, even live minnows, this usually get them so fired up they will hit anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ray i here that the live bait really sexes them up. on my one trip after having about 20 dolphin inspecting my knots, i was shaking so bad after about 4 fly changes.had a painful experience this past summer when baby bluefin were busting on our butters but my flies had tuna repellant sprayed on them. gonna get them eventually. thanks for the advice ray. we'll have to get together this summer. just found out i am gonna be down WW crest for a week in august.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Originally posted by CapeMayRay:
flies only, try throwing small chunks of bait in the water or frozen spearing, even live minnows, this usually get them so fired up they will hit anything.
always bring a bucket of killies,tossing a handful at um first always works well !!!!
then hit um with the fly !!!
good luck to ya,try this ,and you will get um this season !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts