BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I really spend 5-6 dallors a qt for Yamaha oil for my 06 90 hp Yamaha 4stroke. I know many say to use the manufacturers oil in 2 strokes but this is a four stroke and it seems to me that any quality 4 stroke oil should be surfice.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Suzuki 115 , I use petroleum based 10-40 that I get on sale. Usualy quaker state or valvoline. When you are changing every 100 hours I dont think you need any super oil. Read the famous consumer report test on oils.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 10w-30 ever since my first 20 hr oil change. Engine does not use or make any oil, now at the 380 hr mark.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
ROYAL PURPLE , oil is the lifes blood of the engine. Nothing but the best goes in my engine. Worth a couple extra buck it cost. 80 weight ROYAL PURPLE gear oil in the lower unit.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I agree with what Barrel said. I was told by the guy who's now the chief mechanic at Yamaha's test site in Alabammy that the right viscosity Quaker State is fine in any four-stroke. He said it's key to change the oil & filter every hundred hours.

But he was adamant on using Quicksilver's synthetic high-performance oil for the lower unit. He said it's a question of good de-emulsifiers in the Quicksilver product. You want any moisture that sneaks in to be separated out to the bottom of the lower unit, out of harms way to the gears. Change the lower unit oil very two hundred hours.

Hope This Helps,
Catch

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Isnt it true that only oils that were submitted and the fee paid for testing will show up on the list. I would like to see if any oils submitted failed to aquire the nmma certification.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
drifter3 said:
Should I really spend 5-6 dallors a qt for Yamaha oil for my 06 90 hp Yamaha 4stroke. I know many say to use the manufacturers oil in 2 strokes but this is a four stroke and it seems to me that any quality 4 stroke oil should be surfice.
Six dollars for a quart of oil?:confused:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Great White said:
Six dollars for a quart of oil?:confused:
\

Thats not to bad. For the Johnson 4 strokes we have a plain oil for under 5.00 and over 7 for the full syn oil. You guys do not even want to hear what my father pays for his motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
barnaclebillsmarine said:
\

Thats not to bad. For the Johnson 4 strokes we have a plain oil for under 5.00 and over 7 for the full syn oil. You guys do not even want to hear what my father pays for his motorcycle oil.
Why so much for the Johnson oil? Merc oil is about $14 a gallon with Yamaha just a little more.You think it has to do with Bombs push for the E-tec.Even Johnsons maintenence sounds really expensive when compared to other 4-strokes,

·
Registered
862 Posts
Like Barnacle bills stated you should always make sure it is a FC-W rated oil. Automotive oils are a lot different and operate under different conditions. Your boat never gets a chance to coast like an automobile , it is constantly under a load and demands different specifications. Automotive oils usually have a high level of detergent in the oil that is not needed in a marine environment , the more detergents that are in an oil the less lubrication that is available. Most automotive oils do not posses any corrosion inhibitors for the damp environments. I would highly recommend running your OEM oil or equivalent to ensure durability of an expensive engine. Thirty dollars of Yamaha oil once a season is cheap insurance for the cost of outboard engines these days.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Great White said:
Why so much for the Johnson oil? Merc oil is about $14 a gallon with Yamaha just a little more.You think it has to do with Bombs push for the E-tec.Even Johnsons maintenence sounds really expensive when compared to other 4-strokes,
BRP never made its own 4 stoke except for a the 9.9 and 15's. All our other 4 strokes were made by Suzuki painted white and a Johnson sticker installed. THe service on a Johnson 4 stroke is right from the Suzuki manuals. BRP did not add any other service then what Suzuki want's done.

·
Registered
77,334 Posts
Glad I got an e-Tec:cool:

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it was $4.88 a qt for the Yamaha 4 stroke oil and it only takes 5 qts.. So not quite as bad as I thought just a bit over 24 bucks. It only needs to be done once a season so in my opinion still better then having to screw with 2stroke oil. Just gas and go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts